Grilling

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

which do you prefer?

gas
23%
charcoal
77%

Total votes : 26

Grilling

Postby HotDog » Sun May 18, 2008 11:57 am

Whats everybody cook with?

I prefer charcoal briquets and /or hardwood.
WTN10 wrote:
"Why do you assume I'm a genius? Have you ever considered that I'm average and that you're retarded?"
HotDog
hunter

Postby Pigpen » Sun May 18, 2008 1:45 pm

Charcoal all the way
Pigpen
hunter

Postby Pigpen » Sun May 18, 2008 1:45 pm

Charcoal all the way
Pigpen
hunter

Postby greenster » Sun May 18, 2008 3:56 pm

I voted coal.

For the majority of the time, I will be using hardwood charcoal. Some times I use just oak, and hickory to cook with though.

But I also love gas. It has far better control. I can get my grill 400-500 degrees and sear a steak quickly and it be ready in 5 minutes. Where as the charcol. I can sear them but to get the center to the temp I want I have to leave them on the grill for another 10 minutes. for a medium rare steak. Gas without a doubt, there hardly enough time anyway on wood/coal to get those flavors in there anyway.

So: Burgers, hot-dogs, Fruit/vegitables pork, Rib's and smoking things.. charcoal. Chicken

Steaks, seafood, Ducks, geese, fish, Gas.
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut (hand),KM Cut red label Black Monster #1,RNT Timber hog,DS mondo,6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby cONG » Sun May 18, 2008 8:32 pm

if i had to eat soothing i would be charcoal if you half to have it fast gas is the was to go
cONG
hunter

Postby gadwall getter » Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:47 pm

i used to have a charcoal barbecue and i loved it! now i got a gas barbecue and the meat just doesn't taste the same! :no:
DUCKS ARE GOOD EATS. EAT WHAT YOU KILL.
gadwall getter
hunter

Postby jehler » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:33 am

greenster wrote:But I also love gas. It has far better control. I can get my grill 400-500 degrees and sear a steak quickly and it be ready in 5 minutes.

Greenster, I installed an adjustable regulator on my gas grill, like the one that comes with a turkey frying burner, and can now get my grill up to 1000 degrees or better (it glows) You can kick out a mean steak, filets that are seared hard on the outside and still cool in the middle. i would'd do this with a cheap grill as it could melt, mine is an old vermont castings i traded for all porcelin coated cast iron. I can also turn it down a lot lower than I could before wich is great for chicken and ribs.

For the record I like charcoal but It is rare I have the time
jehler
thread hi-jacking expert and a great guy

Postby goosewhisperer » Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:48 pm

Prefer charcoal over gas any day of the week, but what do I cook with....gas of course. Because my loving wife doesnt like the taste of charcoal.
Molt Gear Society Staff
Anatidae Wingshooting Adventures, LLC Pro-Staff
goosewhisperer
hunter

Postby bluewing77 » Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:16 pm

if just cooking for me, gas.
if cooking for a group, then on the smoker with charcoal and mesquite, pecan, or oak for smoking.
bluewing77
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:38 pm

jehler wrote:
greenster wrote:But I also love gas. It has far better control. I can get my grill 400-500 degrees and sear a steak quickly and it be ready in 5 minutes.

Greenster, I installed an adjustable regulator on my gas grill, like the one that comes with a turkey frying burner, and can now get my grill up to 1000 degrees or better (it glows) You can kick out a mean steak, filets that are seared hard on the outside and still cool in the middle. i would'd do this with a cheap grill as it could melt, mine is an old vermont castings i traded for all porcelin coated cast iron. I can also turn it down a lot lower than I could before wich is great for chicken and ribs.

For the record I like charcoal but It is rare I have the time

THAT IS SUPER HOTTTT>

I agree with you on the time. I prefer charcoal, but trying to whip out meal at 7 oclock so you can go to bed its not an option.
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking