goose recipes

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

goose recipes

Postby hogjaw » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:18 pm

anybody got any good ways to cook your goose that actually tastes good? I have tried cutting up and wrapping in bacon then grilling. tough as shoe leather! ive tried smoking a whole bird once. caught it on fire (still dont know how that happened!!) got it put out and finished cooking. tough as rawhide!! then tried smokin boneless breasts. thats the best so far but was still pretty tough. any more ideas guys?
hogjaw
hunter

Postby brassass » Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:26 am

found this one on Nodak outdoors, very close to the recipe that was on here that i tried and it was fantastic. Anything cooked low and slow in my opinion is good.

* 4 large goose breasts
* 6 tablespoons of salt
* 3 containers of BBQ sauce (kraft works fine, and it's cheap)
* 1 container of favorite BBQ sauce (I like Famous Dave's "Rich and Sassy")
* Mustard
* Hamburger Buns

Make sure you get all blood clots out, and rinse thoroughly. Cut goose into 1/4" strips across the grain. Take the goose strips and let them soak overnight with the 6 tablespoons of salt. After letting it soak, pour out all the water. Continue to add water and keep rinsing the stips. The more blood you get out, the less game taste will remain.

Add the strips to a crock pot, and cover with the 3 containers of BBQ sauce. Turn the crock pot to low. Give it 4-6 hours at low heat to cook through.

That's about it! Just throw the strips on a hamburger bun, cover with bbq sauce and a little mustard.

I didn't cut mine in strips, i shredded with a fork after the breast were tender
brassass
Forum & State Moderator

Postby DuckinFool » Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:14 pm

I cut my goose breasts into thin strips across the grain of the meat. I then marinate them for 3 to 5 days in a mixture of Dale's Marinating sauce, A1 New Orleans style Marinating sauce and a can of beer.

When ready to cook I take a skillet and add olive oil then heat it on medium. When the oil is heated I mix in butter and then sautee onion, green peppers, and minced garlic. I then add the strips of marinated goose meat and lightly brown on all sides. During the browning process I sprinkle on seasoning salt and black pepper.

When done I serve with either seasoned wild rice or large baked potato with steam veggies with the breast strips coated with my favorite sauce which usually is A1 Steak Sauce. :thumbsup:
Recession-neighbor loses job...Depression-you lose job...Recovery-Obama loses job.
Don't blame me.....I didn't vote for him !!!
DuckinFool
hunter

Postby bluewing77 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:01 pm

hey DF that sounds deee-lish. thanks for sharing
bluewing77
hunter

Recipes

Postby sheepdog » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:10 am

Here is some answers I got from another forum.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/forums ... hp?t=21168
sheepdog
hunter

Postby kms399 » Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:40 pm

take goose breasts and cut in half. cut a pocket in each piece and and stuff as much cream cheese and jalapeno as you can fit. wrap in bacon and add seasoning of choice. put on grill with some mesquite chips and cook so they are just a little pink. or until the bacon is crispy which usually works out perfectly.

buy some Purdomes blackened red fish seasoning. cut goose breasts into bite sized pieces, melt half a stick of butter in a ziplock bag and add a ton of the seasoning usually 1/4 to 1/2 a bottle of seasoning add goose and work the butter and seasoning into the goose. meanwhile get a pan red hot, I use a turkey fryer with a cast iron pan and lid, it needs to be really hot. put the seasoned goose in the pan and cover wait about 1 1/2 minutes and stir quickly cover and wait 1 1/2 minutes and stir again give it another 1 1/2 minutes and it is done. the result is a very tender and slightly spicey goose that people will devour. I have yet to find someone who doesn't like goose cooked this way. we live on it during hunting trips.
another one bites the dust
kms399
hunter

Goose Recipe

Postby MTelkchaser » Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:44 pm

OK folks I have NEVER given this recipe to anyone but it is the best.

I have fed Washington Corn/Wheat fed honker to people who didnt know it wasnt Fillet Mignon with this recipe. I figured out this recipe after living on geese my Senior year in college and eating them twice a week for two years straight! I could shoot better than I could could cook and it took a while to come up with this recipe but it has tipped a few non believers to the ways of Wild Game!

1 goose de-boned including the legs.
Take a knife and pierce the flesh deep enough to stick a green olive in it and have it stay put. Put the green olives in every couple inches in each direction. Stud that dude!

Make a mixture of 1/3 cup Dijon Mustard, 1 heaping teaspoon of fresh minced garlic, and 2 tablespoons of Worchestire sauce. Marinade the deboned goose for a couple hours in this mixture. You can also add some horseradish.

Here is the important part. Cook the SOB at 350 degrees in the oven for 50 minutes! Not sixty, not 90. If I ever eat another dried out goose I will puke. They are fabulous meat but you cant over cook them--just like Elk or most game for that matter. Now Let it SIT for 10 minutes without cutting it! If you cut it all the juices will run out an it will be dry as a board-and that is how most unedjucated people think of goose. Hold your horses, let it sit, drink another glass of wine, and then slice it up. Serve with a bit of horseradish.

I hope it works for you. It worked for me even on my Mother in law.
Good Hunting
Steve
MTelkchaser
hunter

Postby liv2dukhnt » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:55 pm

just tried this one this weekend.put 2 goose breasts in honey mustard vinaigrette salad dressing, cut up onion, 4 cloves roasted garlic. season salt,pepper, as much hot sauce as you like, marinaded overnite. threw it on the grill with indirect heat at about 300 degrees for 3hours. it was med rare. sliced thin, makes a great sandwich!!!!
DEAD HENS DONT LAY EGGS
liv2dukhnt
hunter

Postby supernaut98 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:41 am

There is a lot of good recipes. The most important thing that is listed in most of the recipes is that the goose is cooked medium rare. Get a basic meat thermometer and be careful not to cook the goose over 130F (or so).
supernaut98
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking