Aging Ducks and Geese?

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

Aging Ducks and Geese?

Postby Natimage » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:50 pm

Do you guys age your fowl before cooking? How do you do it? Hypothetically I come home with two mallards...if i want to age them, now what? Pluck and dress them and let them sit out for a few days? What does aging do for the ducks? How long, can you freeze after, I never have and don't know if people even do it so any info would be great!
Natimage
hunter

Postby Hear Duck » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:17 am

Hear Duck
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:43 pm

Aging allows the natural enzymes to "break down" the muscle tissue, this tenderizes it.

Best way I know of... do not pluck the bird yet, Gut the birds and rinse with water thoroughly. place in a lg. ziplock or plastic bag in the frig. for 7 -14 days. Any longer than that and bacteria will start to grow. Then remove and pluck. Freeze in water with 1/2 tbsp. vinegar. when ready to cook, thaw and place bird in brine solution for 24 hours. then rinse and cook.
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby sherlockbonez » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:28 pm

If it's not too warm, you can just hang the whole bird in your garage for about a week. Give and take a day or so. I like to age the meat that I'm going to grill. If i'm making stew I don't bother.

I have also eat lots that are not aged at all.
sherlockbonez
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:01 pm

I used to know a guy that would hang them on the fence out back. He said he would leave them till the body fell from the head but I doubt he did that here. Theres not many winter days here where it doesnt reach 60 or 70 :no:
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby WisconsinWaterfowler » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:13 pm

Image That sounds so gross smackaduck. Here there are not many winter days where it doesn't reach 20 or 30 :eek:
WisconsinWaterfowler
hunter

Postby Hear Duck » Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:41 am

i wouldn't put any meat in plastic bags for aging. not a good idea!
Hear Duck
hunter

Postby clemaire2 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:01 pm

here in the south i just leave them in a ice chest in ice water for 7 days
clemaire2
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:41 pm

i wouldn't put any meat in plastic bags for aging

forgot to mention.. The bag is left open, not sealed. The bag is to keep the frig. clean. :smile:
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby NorthCoaster » Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:08 pm

YES!!!

Aging waterfowl is really easy I used to saw screw it until I tried it. It will increase the GOOD flavor and the tenderness by 200% or more!

Here's the process:

Pluck the breast fully, remove the whole breast (Including the bone) making sure to leave the skin on which is the most important part. Rinse and dry the entire breast and place on a rack in the fridge - for teal etc you only need 3 days, sprig mallards - 5-6 days, and geese 7-10 days. Once they have aged, remove from the fridge, and slice the skin off, most times you can just pull it off the meat. You should notice that the purple color is gone and you are left with duck the color of a good steak! You can leave in on the breast bone, or remove it - that's up to you!

How it works: by leaving the skin on the meat, the skin acts as a wick and draws the blood out of the tissue, thus breaking aiding in the breaking down of the muscle fiber. When you remove the skin you can see a tint of red color to it!

If anyone has questions let me know. Try this once, the difference in quality is out of this world!
Duck hunting is a learning experience, if you don't learn something new on every trip you aren't really hunting.
NorthCoaster
hunter

Postby MTelkchaser » Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:19 am

I grew up with the same stories from my grandpa. He told me his dad in Norhern CA used to hang geese by the neck until they head came off. I personally tried it a few times and the neighbors didnt find it amuzing. All game meat is better aged, elk, deer, antelope etc., but only in cool weather. If not I'd bone it, skin it and marinate it, and barbeque it! If not freeze it and call it a good day.
Steve
MTelkchaser
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking