Baking duck, need a little help.

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

Baking duck, need a little help.

Postby goosetalk » Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:21 am

I have always fried or grilled duck, but I want to try to bake some mallard fillets in Italian dressing.

I bake chicken breast in this manner for 45 mins. at 400 degrees.

I was wondering if anyone could suggest the appropriate time and temp for baking duck in this manner. I like the duck to be medium to medium well
goosetalk
hunter

Postby ctbduck » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:29 am

As a cook personally I would take the breast, put a little salt and pepper on it, get some olive oil in a sautee pan, wait for it to get hot and real quickly cook the breast for about 30-45 seconds on each side, this will give it a good outter crust, then if you have an oven friendly pan put the whole thing in the over and cook for 20-30 minutes maybe even less.at about 325 degrees. and in the last five minutes apply your italian dressing with a baisting brush. I wouldnt suggest cooking it medium well. I was always told never more than medium rare to medium, but its all personal opinion. what would make it even better it baking it with some white wine.
ctbduck
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:11 pm

:welcome: to DHC, you should deffinately stick around as we all like to eat. :rofl: And I agree duck should never be past medium unless you like dry liver.
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:23 pm

with duck- either cook it hot, and fast (on the grill)or low, and slow (till it falls apart, i.e. in a gumbo)
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking