Baking duck, need a little help.

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass

Baking duck, need a little help.

Postby goosetalk » Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:21 am

I have always fried or grilled duck, but I want to try to bake some mallard fillets in Italian dressing.

I bake chicken breast in this manner for 45 mins. at 400 degrees.

I was wondering if anyone could suggest the appropriate time and temp for baking duck in this manner. I like the duck to be medium to medium well

Postby ctbduck » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:29 am

As a cook personally I would take the breast, put a little salt and pepper on it, get some olive oil in a sautee pan, wait for it to get hot and real quickly cook the breast for about 30-45 seconds on each side, this will give it a good outter crust, then if you have an oven friendly pan put the whole thing in the over and cook for 20-30 minutes maybe even about 325 degrees. and in the last five minutes apply your italian dressing with a baisting brush. I wouldnt suggest cooking it medium well. I was always told never more than medium rare to medium, but its all personal opinion. what would make it even better it baking it with some white wine.

Postby Smackaduck » Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:11 pm

:welcome: to DHC, you should deffinately stick around as we all like to eat. :rofl: And I agree duck should never be past medium unless you like dry liver.
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Super Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:23 pm

with duck- either cook it hot, and fast (on the grill)or low, and slow (till it falls apart, i.e. in a gumbo)
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
Forum Moderator

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking