Duck Hunting Forum banner

rare duck meat

903 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Indaswamp 
#1 ·
I have 3 canvasbacks that I'm gonna cook for my family this Christmas. My buddie from the mn forum gave me a recipie that sounds awesome, roasted cans with orange sauce and wild rice (his wife is an amazing cook, I asked for the best and I got it) . I will be making this for my family this Christmas. Here's the problem, the recipie calls for the duck to be cooked to an internal (at the breast) temp of 135. Sounds great to me, I prefer my steaks a little cooler, 130 at most, bleeding on the plate!!! But everyone else in my family is scared of meat that's not ruined (way overcooked with no color). I googled around a bit today looking for what's the safe temp for wild duck. The only thing I found was about 180. Does anyone have a link to a place that says wild duck is safe to eat at 135???? I need something to show my family.

#5 ·
135* is the number for duck breasts. It's best to do them Sous vide so that you use time and low heat to kill any bacteria; basically pasteurizing them. Sous Vide the breasts to 135* for 1 hour 30 minutes and you will not have to sorry about health issues.

Google sous vide cooking, you can do this using a crock pot or a large electric turkey roaster and a thermometer.

The Sous Vide thread on DHC:
http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=191221&hilit=sous+vide+balsamic#p1687039

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.