Interesting/best Dove recipe?

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

Interesting/best Dove recipe?

Postby Ramsey84 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:35 am

Ok, we just had one heck of a dove shoot on the opener. We were hunting with several people and everyone got their limit. However not everyone wanted to keep their doves, so since I really hate to kill something and then not eat it, I took the ones that people didn't want and cleaned then myself. Now I have breasts from about 60 doves and have enough to experiment with, so I wanted to hear some different recipes, or old favorites that I might not know about.Thanks!
Ramsey84
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:08 pm

Put it in gumbo or a fricasee.

Best way in my book is to put jalapeno filled with cream cheese in center of duck breast, wrap breast and all with bacon and grill. Nothing better.
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby bluewing77 » Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:49 pm

doves smoked with mesquite wood on the grill are really good. i have marinated them with Stubb's Beef marinade and seasoned with tony's and then smoked em. took ~ 25 min of indirect heat, about 325 degrees. i just pop the breast, leave the meat on the bone. simple and tasty, the wife even liked these.
bluewing77
hunter

Cookin'doves

Postby John Usilton » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:44 am

We cut the back bone out and pull the rib cage...deep fry 325 in crisco.....corn meal with lemon pepper and garlic salt.....lemon pepper on birds then place doves in corn meal mix...cook doves for 8 min.... They are great...Next way to cook doves...flour with salt, pepper, a little season all.....same as above...remove the backbone....we do this as we clean the birds....flour birds and fry in a pan until the are golden.....place in a crockpot and cover with beer....slow cook the doves until the birds come off the bone..I use a lot of pepper but that is the way I like it..makes a great gravy and the smell of the doves cooking is fantastic...
John Usilton
Newb

Postby timberjet » Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:10 pm

here's one for ya, easy and awsome. Take your breast and fill with waterchestnuts and a fresh sprig of rosemary, season with poultry seasoning and wrap with thick bacon. Bake on broiler low and slow. MMMMMMMMMM. I also tried this with some precooked wild rice in the cavity and it was damn good too. Next time I'll add some wild mushrooms to the cavity too.
If it flies it dies!. if it lands it dies!, if it swims it dies!, they all taste good!!!!
timberjet
hunter

Postby duck huntin mamou » Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:51 pm

Try this: marinate the breasts in worchestershire sauce and seasoning. Get your skillet hot nad melt a little bit of butter in it. Cook the breasts in the skillet until about medium rare, which won't take very long because they are so small. Great snack to eat while you are cooking a bigger meal.
Chuck Norris bites the hand that feeds him,and eats their entrails.
duck huntin mamou
hunter

Postby JohnM » Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:38 am

My sister-in-law cooked dove this way(God REST HER SOUL).She would take the whole bird(after plucked and cleaned out)stuff it with either homemade stuffing or premade stovetop stuffing wrap with 2or3 strips of bacon and cook them in the oven.Very tasty but a little greasy!!This recipe is a little vague,she has been gone for almost 5 years now and I havent tasted her dove recipe for almost 8 years now(have not dove hunted in a while).SHE WAS A GREAT COOK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Local 313, NAHC LM, DU,NRA

Trying To Teach An Old Dog Some New Tricks
JohnM
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking