brining duck

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

brining duck

Postby Howitzer » Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:54 am

so I have been reading quite a few recipes, only a few mention brining and alot dont at all. I have found with all the duck i cook to brine it in salt water over night. pulls all the blood and gamey taste out of it.

I sure am hungry now though...
Howitzer
hunter

Re: brining duck

Postby bluewing77 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:58 pm

Howitzer wrote:I have found with all the duck i cook to brine it in salt water over night. pulls all the blood and gamey taste out of it.

you can also change the water a few times until it stays clear.
bluewing77
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:18 pm

try using apple cider vinegar with the brine solution. Great for killing "off" flavor in the meat. And tenderizing.
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Jonny Rocket » Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:35 pm

Definitely would recommend brining. The other secret is to not overcook it!! 125-130 degrees to rare/medium rare. Perfect!
Read about it at www.hunteatlive.com
Jonny Rocket
hunter

Brining

Postby MTelkchaser » Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:52 pm

Hey brining works great with any strong flavored meat. You can take a mixture of salt and sugar with a few spices like Mustard powder and garlic and soak the duck for a half day or over night. Then I like to throw them on the barbeque and as the previous guy mentioned, Do Not Overcook them. Rare is the best for all game and fish. Cook it for a while and then let it sit before you cut into it or the juices will all run out. Cook her hot and fast and then let it sit for a while.
Good eats!
Steve
MTelkchaser
hunter

Postby ctbduck » Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:02 am

i'd cook all your fish to all the way done, :wink: except salmon. you ever eatin undercooked fish? doesnt feel good the next day. :sad:
ctbduck
hunter

Postby LJUIV » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:35 am

I eat sashimi all the time.... never had a problem...
LJUIV
hunter

Postby Kiskadinna » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:43 pm

under cooked /raw fish is perfectly fine if the quality of water is good and safe handling practices are maintained.
I'll second the apple cider vinegar, also salt water with good results. I'd like to give coca cola brining a go - I've used it on ham or chops with good results, but never duck.
-Erik
Kiskadinna
Super Moderator

Postby joshco84 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:01 am

Kiskadinna wrote:under cooked /raw fish is perfectly fine if the quality of water is good and safe handling practices are maintained.
I'll second the apple cider vinegar, also salt water with good results. I'd like to give coca cola brining a go - I've used it on ham or chops with good results, but never duck.
-Erik

Ive used dr pepper on venison in a marinade before and it was awesome.
Who knew strippers had feelings?

Botiz630 wrote:Careful, then you'll have to get something to get rid of the geckos. And then something to get rid of what got rid of the geckos. Before you known it your camp will be full of great white sharks fighting velociraptors.
joshco84
Leg Humper

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking