Duck Hunting Forum banner

Smoked Duck

337 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Abomb 
#1 ·
Alright ... so I've been duck hunting for around 15 years, and I cannot figure out why I've never tried putting a duck in the smoker. We did a mallard as sort of an afterthought and threw it in with the turkey ... and it was phenomenal! I can't wait to try it again just on its own.

Not much of a recipe... put all-purpose seasoning on the outside and inside the cavity and then coated the outside with maple syrup. Touched it up a few times during smoking. It was probably in the smoker for 3 hours at 250 degrees, but I was just going by the internal temperature of the duck. As soon as it hit 165 I took it out ...

Anyone else smoke ducks?

#2 ·
Yes. Been doing it forever. I only smoke the ones that have a lot of yellow fat, corn fed. I pluck then soak bird in soy sauce for a couple hrs then season accordingly. Put in ziplock bag overnight. I take mine off the smoker at 140 then let rest for 15min. Wood ducks are my favorite this way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.