Goose Jerky Questions!

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

Goose Jerky Questions!

Postby Natimage » Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:44 pm

I really am interested in making goose jerky but I have a few questions. I found recipes online so I don't necessarily need recipes.

a) I have a dehydrator, but don't know what setting or how long to do it to make it safe to eat

b) After I make it how do i store it? Does it need to stay refrigerated?

c) Do you use those packets that come with beef jerky to keep moisture out?

d) I'm slightly concerned about safety because of the fact that it isn't cooked exactly. I LOVE jerky, but I trust when other people make it, I just don't want to mess up and get sick...anything I should know about in regards to safety?

e) Any other tips for making it would be greatly appreciated THANK YOU!
Natimage
hunter

Postby mag.DuckDuster » Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:48 pm

I don't know how you are going to prepare your jerky but I buy the pre mixes at wal-mart and have great success. That being said, I have read that once the meat is cured it is safe to eat meaning that cooking is not needed. To make the meat keep without going bad you must remove the moisture = jerky. I too use a dehydrater and no I don't eat raw meat.

I do know that when drying jerky the dehydrater needs to be on the highest setting. Drying time will very but mine takes about 4-6 hours. I have found that the easiest way for me is to grind the meat first, mix seasonings and cure with the meat and put in frig for 12-24 hours then I spred the meat on the racks using a jerky shooter. I prefer using ground meat because it makes the jerky alot more tender and it seasons better.
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that is good."

-George Washington
mag.DuckDuster
hunter

Postby ctbduck » Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:57 am

yea you can actually buy jerky making kits basically. that should tell you everything you need to know. as far as storing it goes you dont really need to do much with it, dont need to refridgerate it, thats the whole point in dehydrating it, so that it wont spoil. I think those little packets that come with the jerky that you buy in the store is to keep moisture out. something you dont really need to worry about.
ctbduck
hunter

Postby duckhunter054 » Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:40 pm

i dont know about the dehydrater i never tried it like that the only way i make any kind of jerkey is smoking it, adds a lot more flavor and only takes a few hours.
We use the jerket cure kits you can buy at pretty much any stores, found the best stuff so far at Menards but use what you want. We have a two rack charcoal smoker that stands about three feet high and fill both racks completly full without stacking. Pile the charcoal bisquits on the bottom and let them turn nice and hot like usual, once the charcoal is ready put some wood chips that that been in a bucket of water fo awhile so they dont burn they will just smoulder creating the smoke. We use apple wood chips, hickory or you can buy flavored stuff like jack daniels or what ever.
Very easy and fun profect.
Season Totals 2009:
Geese: 2
Mallards:5
Teal:3
Wood Ducks:0
Ringnecks:0
Bufflehead:
Readheads:5
Wiegon:10
Ruffed Grouse: 0
duckhunter054
hunter

Postby Fowler » Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:50 am

I just got done making a batch of goose then eider jerky. I use the Jack Daniels Marinade that comes in a bag. I get mine at Wal-Mart or the local grocery store. I don't grind the meat up but slice it thin then put it in the marinade after soaking it out. Each bag will hold about 3lbs of meat.

My dehydrator is a simple one and only has an on off switch. The last batch of eider jerky I just made took 12 hours to dehydrate to the texture that I like. Once its done and cooled I just put it in heavy freezer ziploc bags. I don't have to worry about storing it for long cause it doesn't get a chance to sit around.

The eider I just made taste as good as any jerky I have had. Takes quite a bit of prep time (4 days soaking out with many water changes, then two days of marinade soaking) but will make about any duck taste fine. I only soak goose out for 2 days then one day soak in marinade. Our geese up here are often feeding on clam flats, marshes etc., so thats why I give them a two day soak.
Fowler
hunter

Postby GA Quackhead » Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:21 pm

Fowler:
What do you mean by soaking out? Salt Water bath?
SHR North Elk's Hershey Reloaded "Reload"
"Leave nothing for the judges to judge!"
GA Quackhead
hunter

Postby duckin-A » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:16 pm

the newest, easiest product that just came out is Zip Lock Vacuum bags.....walmart has 'em pretty inexpensive compared to the Food saver vacuums. this is a great idea, totally portable and requires no electricity to operate....it's just a hand pump.
Vacuum seal your Jerky and then it can be frozen if desired! :thumbsup:
" I spent all my money on Liquor & Women,
and the rest I just wasted"!!!
duckin-A
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking