Grilling Birds with Indirect Heat & Smoke

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

Grilling Birds with Indirect Heat & Smoke

Postby bluewing77 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:37 am

This type of cooking takes some trial and error until you work out the particulars... how much meat you want to cook, what type of wood to use, cooking times, etc.

2 Sandhill Crane filets. I'm sure goose would be good this way also.

if you butterfly them open, this accomplishes several things: increases surface area of the meat for absorbing smoke, decreases cooking time, feeds more people, makes it easy to find any pellets that may not have gone all the way through. i seasoned these with Chicago Steak seasoning and Slap Ya Mama Hot cajun seasoning.

the real deal Mesquite. i cut limbs into small little blocks. from there you can take your hatchet and split the blocks into smaller pieces. You can use any of a variety of woods: Apple, Alder, Hickory, Pecan, etc. some will give a stronger flavor than others...

Fathers Day Gift 2008! for indirect grilling & smoking, build your fire in the offset barrel. i used charcoal for the initial fire. adjust heat by adjusting the damper of the fire chamber, same thing on the smokestack, open or close as needed.

when the coals have ashed over, youre ready to cook. add your meat and smoking wood. you want to keep the lid on the cooking chamber closed as much as possible, but you will have to flip the meat and rearrange the pieces. its hotter on the fire side than the chimney side and you want all the meat to be the same amount of "done".
good smoke.
good temp.

test piece -- delicioso!

Lets eat. mesquite smoked crane with "italian" green beans, and rice. thin-cut pan-fried potatoes goes even better than the rice.
bluewing77
hunter

Postby mox » Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:34 pm

Do you use any kind of marinade?
C M ducks?
M R not ducks.
O S M R 2 Ducks!
L I B, M R ducks.
---------------------
mox
hunter

Postby jehler » Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:31 pm

Nice bluewing :thumbsup:

sometimes i get out the camera and take pictures of food I'm cooking but only when i'm hammered, my wife always makes fun of me the next day....yep you got so drunk you took pictures of the steak :yes: some time I'll have to try it solber. :thumbsup:

you ever make any suasage? I bet it would be tasty cooked in that bbQ
Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail - upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick - erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick - rewrite it,
Plug it, play it, burn it
jehler
thread hi-jacking expert and a great guy

Postby bluewing77 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:59 am

jehler wrote:sometimes i get out the camera and take pictures of food I'm cooking but only when i'm hammered, my wife always makes fun of me the next day....yep you got so drunk you took pictures of the steak :yes:

john, all my recipes on this forum were photographed with beer handy. the wife stopped talking poop a long time ago.
bluewing77
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking