Duck Hunting Forum banner

JERKY and SAUSAGE! Recipes & Helpful Hints

22K views 12 replies 3 participants last post by  Indaswamp 
#1 ·
This will be a quick reference for making jerky and/or sausage. We will try to include as much information as we can without being repetitive.

#2 ·
SpinnerMan said:
Italian Goose Sausage

I make almost all of my geese into hot Italian sausage. I found a recipe for hot italian sausage on the internet and modified to my taste.

This recipe is for 1 goose. I bone out the legs and thighs as well as the breasts. I generally shoot large geese in the 10+ lb range, so keep that in mind if you are shooting small geese or don't bone out the legs and thighs.

I blend this with about 1 lb of boneless pork. The primary purpose of the pork is to provide the fat necessary for the sausage to fry properly. Choose the cheapest, fattiest piece of pork you can find.

Ingredients
1 goose (cut into boneless pieces to feed into grinder)
1 lb pork (cut into pieces)
1 Tbsp minced garlic (I don't use the dried stuff)
4 tsp kosher salt
3 Tbsp fennel seeds (this is pretty expensive, but necessary. You can cut back based on your preference)
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 Tbsp red pepper flake (I always put extra of this. I heaping Tbsp or more is what I generally do)
2 tsp ground black pepper

Instructions
I get two small bowls and put the minced garlic in one of them (because it's wet) and all the other spices mixed together in the other one.

I then start grinding and try to uniformly mix the goose, pork, garlic, and spices as I feed them through the grinder. For example, piece of goose, small amount of garlic, piece of pork, small amount of spices, ... Once everything has been through the grinder once, I mix it up a little bit to get the goose, pork, and spices a little more uniformly distributed. Then I send everything through the grinder a second time to thoroughly mix everything.

I don't stuff my sausage into casings. I use it loose like I would hamburg. I fry it with peppers, mix it into spaghetti sauce, ... This makes a moderately spicy sausage. If you don't like spicy, I would back off a little bit on the spices. If you like really spicy stuff, then this is a good place to start and then adjust your next batch according to your taste.

Notes
Since I bone out the legs, the tendons tend to get wrapped around the blades and block the holes. Sometimes I have to disassembly the grinder and clean it out. Usually, I just take it apart after the first grinding and make sure everything is clear for the second grinding. I use the course disk (the one with the largest holes) for both passes.

If you here a metallic grinding sound, you missed a pellet. Take the grinder apart, remove the pellet, and continue. Most times the pellets actually pass through into the sausage because they are smaller than the holes in the disc. So there may be shot in the sausage. I've run across about 2 pellets out of a lot of sausage.

Enjoy

#3 ·
UPduckhunter said:
I found this recipe this spring after i came back from turkey hunting... it is phenominal. I use it for every thing from venison to geese. This is the best jerky i have ever tasted.

I got this recipe from the national wild turkey federation's website.

Wild Turkey Jerky

1 pound boneless turkey
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon garlic powder
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons liquid smoke

Cut turkey into even sized strips. Mix salt and remaining ingredients in a medium-sized bowl. Combine turkey with marinade. Cover and refrigerate for six to 12 hours. Cover oven rack with foil. Place turkey on foil. Bake at 160 degrees for four hours. Turn, and bake another four hours. (Note: When using a dehydrator, follow the same method of preparation and place in unit to cure, checking every hour until the meat becomes stiff, yet will still bend easily. A dehydrator will reduce cooking time by almost half.)

I usually end up making 2 or 3 times the maranade just to be sure it covers all of the meat.

#4 ·
WIDuckSlayer5501 said:
Goose Jerky

2-3 goose breasts depending on size
3/4 cup soy sauce
1 cup water
1/4 tablespoon liquid smoke
1/4 cup worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 cloves garlic
black pepper, crushed red pepper, and hot sauce. Do the last 3 depending on how hot you like it.

Put all together and soak for about 3 hours. Lay your pieces out on the dehydrator and follow the time line for your dehydrator. Mine takes about 5-6hours.

I take it (jerky) when people ask what I do with the geese after I shoot them. They try it and ask to go hunting with me because it is so good.

#5 ·
Swamp Puppy said:
Jerky

-cut into strips and soaked overnight in a heavy brine mix.
- rinse, then marinade in teriyake sauce and a couple of tablespoons of liquid smoke overnight.
-remove from marinade and sprinkle with pepper
-put into food dehydrator for about 6 hours
-remove from dehydrator and heat in oven at 175 for 1 hour. (kills any bacteria)

if you don't have a dehydrator then just popping the strips in the oven at 150 or so will work. just raise the temp to 175 for the last hour to kill off anything that might be living on or in them.

#6 ·
doogie494 said:
Italian Sausage (Goose)

Per 1 pound of meat (70% goose - 30% pork back fat)

1 ½ teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons corn syrup
1 ½ teaspoons dextrose
½ teaspoon coarse ground pepper
¼ teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
¼ teaspoon crushed chilies
½ teaspoon dried parley flakes
¼ teaspoon oregano
¼ teaspoon ascorbic acid
1/8 teaspoon grated lemon
2 cups rice

Freeze goose meat. Grind frozen goose through 3/16" plate. Place ground meat back in freezer. Grind back fat through 1/8" plate. Mix goose meat and back fat in tub. Mix spices with 4 tablespoons ice water per pound. Mix well. Stuff in to 1 ¼" hog casings. Refridgerate overnight. Wrap and freeze what you are not going to eat.

To cook, simmer sausages in hot water for 5 minutes, then brown on barbeque grill. Place on a pannini bun with sautéed onions and green peppers with some good German mustard or slice up and add to spaghetti sauce. To die for! And many geese have!

Snow Goose Polish Sausage

Ingredients
(Ingredients are based on a 50 lb batch of sausage)

35 pounds well rinsed goose breasts, w/no fat
15 pounds shoulder pork
sausage seasoning from local meat locker
natural sausage casings
cotton string
wood chips

MY Note: although no detailed seasonings are given in recipe above you have the goose/fat ratio and reasonably detailed instructions between the other recipes. The other recipes also give some idea as to spices etc.

Directions: Cut the pork into cubes, and thoroughly mix the goose breasts, the pork, and the seasoning. After mixing, feed mixture through a commercial meat grinder. Then, take the ground mixture and feed through the grinder a second time to ensure thorough mixing of the seasonings.

Take the mixture and load it into a sausage stuffer. Soak natural casings in warm water and place them on the end of the stuffer. Have one person crank the stuffer while another feeds the casings and twists them, so the links are approximately 6-7" long, resulting in a quarter-pound link. Also, be sure to squeeze out the all the air bubbles that you can. At the end of the casings, tie off with the cotton string.

Then, take the links to a large smoker and smoke them in cool wood smoke (around 150 degrees) so that the meat becomes smoked, but not cooked (usually 6-8 hours for a big batch). Then, separate the links and package according to your needs. Keep in mind that the sausages are not yet fully cooked, and they will require boiling to be ready for the table. My favorite way to have them is to simmer them in beer until they are cooked, and then lightly grill for 8 minutes on a medium flame.

You can also use this recipe to make summer sausage. All you need to do is use larger casings, and then fully smoke the sausages at a higher temperature, or finish them in the oven, to ensure that they are cooked through.

#7 ·
Ducks4Coach said:
Jerky

Lay the breast out flat on a cutting board and fillet into 1/8" pieces (cut horizontally). Then marinade it in a bowl for a couple of hours (1-2). The meat is thin so it doesn't take long. Then lay your pieces out on the dehydrator and follow the time line for your dehydrator. Mine takes about 6 hours.

3 Tbs Soy sauce
3 Tbs Worchestershire Sauce
1 Tbs Liquid Smoke
Ketchup or BBQ sauce
Brown Sugar

Then add your spices for your own flavor. I like a sweet and spicy jerky so I add quite a bit of brown sugar and then some Montreal steak seasoning or KC seasoning. If you like it hot then add some hot seasoning.

#8 ·
dog said:
Duck Jerky

1. breast the ducks (no skin needed)
2. freeze them for like 10 min (makes um easy to cut)
3. slice the meat down in strips (your choice of size)
4. put your meat in a container with "Mr. Yoshida's Marinade and Cooking sauce" or any marinades. You can add brown Sugar for sweetness, garlic or onion powder, or any other spice. And put it in the fridge for 2-3 days.
5. put the meat on racks in the oven at 130-150 degrees for a really long time (until it looks done)

see, no smoker or dehydrater needed. :rofl:

#10 ·
Indaswamp said:
This recipe is identical to the one my family uses:
http://www.gumbopages.com/food/andouille.html
If you can not get sugar cane stalks, substitute dark brown sugar or molasses on the fire to get the sweet smoke... :thumbsup:
watch the temps like a hawk!! check it often!!
a excellent recipe for making Andouille sausage. a must for all gumbos! thanks inda! you can view the thread here:

viewtopic.php?f=71&t=137051

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.