Vacuum Packing

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

Vacuum Packing

Postby Tjengle » Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:34 pm

I bought a vacuum packer last year and absolutely love it. I want to vacuum pack all of my game this year, but am a little hesitant on doing so because I don't want to do it wrong and risk ruining the game.

I plan to harvest a deer or two this fall and butcher it myself and want to package all of the deer using the vacuum machine. Any specific instructions on doing so?

I also want to package all of the waterfowl that I plan on harvesting.

I have always froze everything in water, so this experience will be new to me any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Tjengle
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:44 pm

I've used a vacuum packer for years to freeze fish, game, birds and ground meats. Basically don't do anything different than if you were packing beef.

The only potential problem would be doing whole birds as the vacuum may not get all of the air out of the cavity. For that you can take a ball of butchers paper surrounded by plastic wrap (cling wrap or similar) and stuff it inside the cavity. The butcher paper takes up the room and the plastic will somewhat seal against the meat preventing excessive freezer burn in case you are storing for a while. Then vacuum pack as normal.

For breasts and butchered meat all you do is cut the bags just large enough to get the meat inside and have enough collar to engage in the machine. That way there isn't as much room for leftover air to ruin the meat.
apexhunter
hunter

Postby ctbduck » Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:53 am

used vaccum sealer for my deer last year, works just fine, but like apexhunter said make sure your bags are big enough to fit around the meat ( kinda sounds funny dont it ) anyway a little air is fine, but if too much gets to it thats when you get freezer burn, in which case you can wave bye bye to any flavor the meat used to have.
ctbduck
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking