jerky keeping moisture

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

jerky keeping moisture

Postby Whitehorse » Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:23 pm

Alright guys, I wanna make some goose jerky, have just a couple questions....

i'm going to grind it up and use my seasonings, but I had some venison last week that was super moist. Every time I have made jerky, turns out pretty dry, but would like to make it moist like his... (he had a butcher do it) do you just leave it in for less time? or was it moist because it wasn't ground up?

thanks for any help
Whitehorse
hunter

Postby joshco84 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:51 pm

when i did my deer jerky, i ground and shot it out on the racks. The best way i found to make it moist was set the oven as low as possible and put it in for a while. It takes a long time doing it that way, but it was awesome. You just have to keep checking it to see when its done. If i remember right it was over an hour for one batch.
Who knew strippers had feelings?

Botiz630 wrote:Careful, then you'll have to get something to get rid of the geckos. And then something to get rid of what got rid of the geckos. Before you known it your camp will be full of great white sharks fighting velociraptors.
joshco84
Leg Humper

Postby quack4me » Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:31 pm

probably the best thing is to experiment with time and temp.

when mine turns out too dry, i place it in an air tight container with lots of bread between. mix it up every several hours for a day or so. makes the outside really moist and intense flavor.
quack4me
hunter

Postby mag.DuckDuster » Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:38 pm

The amount of moisture in the meat depends on the drying time. The only downside of this is the jerky won't keep as long but it does taste better.
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that is good."

-George Washington
mag.DuckDuster
hunter

Postby Whitehorse » Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:41 pm

thanks, I have a dehydrator, nesko's cheapest one... i'll be putting it to the test in a couple weeks when I get some time off of school..

any one familiar with what that almost sticky stuff is that some jerky tends to have? it's almost like a dried up bbq sauce? hard to explain what it is, but it adds some good flavor
Whitehorse
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking