Duck Hunting Forum banner

Best Duck Recipe of All Time

110K views 127 replies 96 participants last post by  nielsonnc 
#1 ·
I've been trying different recipes I find off the internet from time to time and have found many great ones. But I am curious as to everyone's absolute, no doubt, favorite duck recipe of all time. I want to hear your go-to delicious recipes. Impress me, lol. I'm serious though if anyone is willing to impart with these I want to expand my cooking prowess.

#2 ·
Nothing fancy but take the duck breast, season as wanted, wrap in bacon and cook on the grill, watch the bacon, when it turns brown or looks done, take them off and you won't over cook your breast.

#7 ·
nothing beats it done the ways described here.

marinate your breasts in italian dressing for at least 6 hours
i like to tenderize mine before hand, also helps to remove the shot

take out, get your bacon, jalepeno and cream cheese, going to have to try that chedder though

take your jalepeno and cream cheese, put between either a butterflyed breast or 2 breasts. Wrap in bacon then throw on grill. Wait till the bacon is done then enjoy. This is the way i cook 99% of my ducks

#10 ·
Duck Poppers

Slice duck into finger steak sized strips soak in Buckaroo marinade from 15 minutes to overnight. (Depends on if I am prepared or just really hungry.)

Sliced Fresh Jalapeno-seeds removed (Usually in quarters if they are big peppers.)

Fill Jalapeño's with cream cheese. (Pepper jack also good)

Bacon

Wrap duck around pepper - then bacon around duck and pepper - secure with beer soaked toothpicks.

Throw 'em on the grill, but stay close with 2 beers. One to drink, and the other to keep the flames down. Just get the bacon a little crispy, and you won't be able to stop eating them. (2 Beers is very conservative. I recommend a cooler full, or a young helper fetching your beers so you can stay on the grill).

My wife and I have a big holiday party every year. 100+ people show up. I don't tell anyone what the poppers are made of, and they are the first things gone.

#13 ·
Ive got some in the broiler right now that are injected with creole garlic marinade. We'll see how they turn out,
Another good recipe is to cut the breast in as small of chunks as you can without cutting your fingers and fry them in a little butter, sprinkle some lemon and pepper on them and a dash of crushed red pepper. When theyre almost done move them into little piles, drop a peice of pepperjack cheese on them and serve on a toasted bun... its mouth watering
Goose breast is also really good in a crock pot with apples and sweat and sour sauce. Ive also heard of using sour kraut but Im not much of a kraut fan myself.

#14 ·
This is the way we do it in God's Country.

Get your pot hot with just enough cooking oil to cover the bottom.
Place your seasoned ducks in breast down and let them brown.
Once ducks are browned, take them out and through in onions(chopped in small pieces)
Add a little bit of water when your onions start to turn brown.
Put your ducks back in the pot and let the water cook down.
Add water till it is almost covering their backs.
Let the water cook out and add water again.
The more times you do this the more tender they will be.

If you need any more info. let me know.

#16 ·
put duck breasts in plasic zip loc bag cover with olive oil (add enough to completly cover breasts)add 1/2tsp of season salt,garlic powder,pepper,2tbsp of worchester,2tblsp of soy sauce. let sit over night in fridge the mix will thickin somewhat then grill on charcoal till medium.or simply wrap in bacon and grill this is especially good for goose wrap them in bacon and grill thats fly mignon right there.

#17 ·
i'm down with the bacon wrapped w/cream cheese as well.

i marinade just like a i do a deer backstrap or tenderloin: 5 breasts, 1 bottle of italian dressing, 5 tablespoons honey, 1/2 bottle Worcestershire sauce (or more depending on how much you like Worcestershire), as much cajun seasoning at you like. Butterfly each duck/goose breast and wrap with bacon. Like everyone else says, cook until the bacon is done. I like to add the cream cheese from time to time, but DO NOT add too much. Sometimes you can go a little over board. mmmmm, i can taste it now.
CANNOT WAIT FOR THE SEASON TO OPEN IN KENTUCKY!

#18 ·
I bleed the duck breasts for about a week in the fridge, changing the water at least twice a day. Day 6 I slice the breast into 1/4 to 3/8" strips. Put into a container and marinate with some terryaki, usually at least 24 hours. Take the strip, roll it around a jalapeno pepper and wrap in bacon and put them on a skewer and grill on a gas grill for about 4-5 mintes on both sides.....mmmmmm

Norm

#19 ·
well, i have a couple ones that i like, but one that sticks out is this:
works best with big mallard brests, butterfly the brests, marinade the duck in some soy sauce, liquid smoke, some sort of seasoning, pretty much anything you have around like that and then stuff some cheese in the middle, wrap with bacon, and bake for about 1 hour on 350. can't get much better than that.

#20 ·
Mine are real simple because I under normal circumstances cant cook. Or at least thats what I tell my wife.
1) Duck breast, remove all sinew and clean as good as possible. soak it in buttermilk for up to 5 days.ive done it for 8-10 hours if the breast isnt shot, The buttermilk adds fat, fat tastes good, the lactic acid in the milk will draw out any blood and soften the breast. After the soak, remove meat and cut in 1/4 inch strips. Get yourself a bottle of orange marmalade. I get a big spoon and take about 3 or 4 ouncesof the jelly and put it in the frying pan over medium heat. Stir until it liquifies, then gets thicker as it carmelizes.Do not overheat or scortch. When the jelly begins to thicken start to brown the strips to the desired rareness. The thicker the carmelized jelly gets the more sticks to the meat. MMMMMMMMM
2) Same meat prep as above clean it and soak it, cut it into strips. Heat some olive oil/ Soy sauce / Worchesershire / Montreal steak seasoning in a pan and stir as it heats. Sometimes some red wine goes in if we have some around at the time. That seasoning is kinda spicy and gives them a little zip. cook to desired wellness.

Going to have to try some honey with the next ones, or one of those Jalapino and cream cheese ones.
Bacon makes everything taste good doesnt it?

#24 ·
Well I grill some breast with cream cheese stuffed inside and it was amazing. :thumbsup: But I have a question for yall I am visting some friends in a couple of weeks and I was gonna cook one night for them, and I was wondering could you cook duck like this on a george forman style grill? If not I'll just run by wal-mart and pick up a cheap-o grill and carry it up there but your thoughts would be greatly appreciated

#25 ·
I joined this site for one reason, and one reason ONLY.... to THANK YOU! Thank you soooo much for that delicious duck recipe!

I was browsing the web looking for recipes for cooking my first duck, ever. I ran across this site, then the cream cheese and jalapeno recipe. O-M-G! It was soooo de-licious! I could not believe ANYTHING could taste so.... heavenly. I mean, close your eyes, lift your chin and moan heavenly!

My only regret is taking the advice to not put too much cream cheese in the duck's breast. Baaaaad advice. Come Christmas, I'm cooking duck (I put it in the oven rather than grilled it - which is why I suppose the bacon did nothing for me or the duck). But Xmas, duck STUFFED with those jalapenos and cream cheese.

P.S. Who woulda thunk - jalapenos???

Well, whoever thunk it, keep on thinking! :thumbsup:

#26 ·
I joined this site for one reason, and one reason ONLY.... to THANK YOU! Thank you soooo much for that delicious duck recipe!

I was browsing the web looking for recipes for cooking my first duck, ever. I ran across this site, then the cream cheese and jalapeno recipe. O-M-G! It was soooo de-licious! I could not believe ANYTHING could taste so.... heavenly. I mean, close your eyes, lift your chin and moan heavenly!

My only regret is taking the advice to not put too much cream cheese in the duck's breast. Baaaaad advice. Come Christmas, I'm cooking duck (I put it in the oven rather than grilled it - which is why I suppose the bacon did nothing for me or the duck). But Xmas, duck STUFFED with those jalapenos and cream cheese.

P.S. Who woulda thunk - jalapenos???

Well, whoever thunk it, keep on thinking! :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.