Duck Hunting Forum banner

What kind of smoker do I want?

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Bo Beaver 
#1 ·
I'm wanting to get into smoking some meat but not sure if I want electric, gas, or charcoal? I've read pro's and cons on all 3. It will be an outside unit and my budget is around $500. I've got a buddy with a green egg and he loves it and I have another buddy with a Traeger and he loves it. Both of those are out of my budget.

Can folks provide me with suggestions??

#2 ·
I have a Char Griller Outlaw with side box smoker. The Green Eggs are nice as are the Traegers but I cant see spending that much money. My cousin as the Green Egg and my brother in law has the Traeger, Ill put my smoked food up against theirs any day of the week. Ive had mine 5 years and it still is in excellent shape with no rust or bottom burn out.

Just a hint, always use lump charcoal instead of briquettes. Lump is pure wood and the briquettes are a wood/filler mix and the filler taints the flavor of the meat

#5 ·
I have two electric smokers one at home one at camp. Both Masterbuilt 30" I can do what I need to do in them like the temp control , meat thermometer and the time length control . II make dried venison for chipped "beef" out of hindquarters summer sausage etc. If you go that route make sure you get the one with the controls in front and built right into the smoker.

#7 ·
I cheat and use a Bradley Original electric. Works good for what I do. A little on the small side but can be had for about $300 USD. The wood bisquettes are on the expensive side, about $20 for 48 (that's enough for 16 hours of smoke). Works good for fish, jerky, and small batches of sausage. I've had really good luck with whole chickens and pork loins, but it's a bit of a fair weather smoker and takes a bit longer if the temps are under 65°f. There are a lot of guys who add a second electric oven element for better heat, that's a route I may take soon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.