Duck Hunting Forum banner

duck cleaning question

2K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  UmatillaJeff 
#1 ·
So I've been duck hunting for a few years now, I've always just breasted my birds out and eaten breasts. My girlfriend wants to try roasting a few whole ducks this year. So yesterday I went out and shot a couple drake gadwall and bull sprig soo I have plucked the whole birds, removed wings, legs, head, and gizzards. But there are still all these small little white "hairs" across the bird. Any tips to removing those? Do I just burn them off or???

#2 ·
Blow torch to burn works best I've found. Also can use a piece of duct tape and lightly dab at the skin and it will pull a lot of them off. Don't press firmly with the tape or it will pull the skin off with it, or leave a lot of the adhesive residue. Just some light blotting. Works in a pinch if you don't have the blowtorch. Others will more knowledge than me will surely chime in to help also.

#3 ·
I've heard people using some type of wax to clean their birds as well. I've never done it. I don't shoot enough puddle ducks to pluck birds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 ·
just burn it off with propane-either a torch or like we do at the camp use the camp stove. Not too close to the fire, and keep the bird moving so you do not bubble the skin.

....and do NOT forget to remove the kidneys and the oil gland on the tail bone!!!!!!!!!!

#5 ·
I save up a few then give them a decent plucking, at the same time I am boiling water in a turkey deep fryer with about 2 lbs of paraffin wax melting in it. when its all melted I dip the duck, then toss it in an ice chest full of ice water, when the wax hardens you peel it like an Orange.. End result is ducks as smooth as a babies arse! Then clean the inereds out and you have a restaurant quality duck for roasting.. Last year I took some ground venison sausage I had left over and pan fried it, removed it from the pan added diced apples, wine and cinnamon tell the apples were soft, added in some bread crumbs and added back the venison. I stuff the ducks with that and tossed them in the smoker.. Needless to say I turned an entire superbowl party of liberal douche bags into hardcore duck and venison lovers.. I did 6 teal, 2 mallard and a Canvas back... Everybody has been RSVPing to this years party... LOL

#6 ·
tmclaimerFL said:
I've heard people using some type of wax to clean their birds as well. I've never done it. I don't shoot enough puddle ducks to pluck birds.

To get store quality clean skinned bird melted paraffin works great, but is a pain in the Azz to use. Just pluck, singe and clean.

I pluck the breast and legs, then singe, then filet the breasts with the skin on, same for the legs. Rub both with coffee meat rub.

Breasts cannot be cooked past medium (medium rare is better). Legs can be sautéed or crock potted & deboned for gumbo or enchiladas.

#7 ·
motor-vater said:
I save up a few then give them a decent plucking, at the same time I am boiling water in a turkey deep fryer with about 2 lbs of paraffin wax melting in it. when its all melted I dip the duck, then toss it in an ice chest full of ice water, when the wax hardens you peel it like an Orange.. End result is ducks as smooth as a babies arse! Then clean the inereds out and you have a restaurant quality duck for roasting.. Last year I took some ground venison sausage I had left over and pan fried it, removed it from the pan added diced apples, wine and cinnamon tell the apples were soft, added in some bread crumbs and added back the venison. I stuff the ducks with that and tossed them in the smoker.. Needless to say I turned an entire superbowl party of liberal douche bags into hardcore duck and venison lovers.. I did 6 teal, 2 mallard and a Canvas back... Everybody has been RSVPing to this years party... LOL
That's awesome, thanks for sharing my friend. I'm definitely going to try this method :beer:

#8 ·
dudejcb said:
tmclaimerFL said:

To get store quality clean skinned bird melted paraffin works great, but is a pain in the Azz to use. Just pluck, singe and clean.

I pluck the breast and legs, then singe, then filet the breasts with the skin on, same for the legs. Rub both with coffee meat rub.

Breasts cannot be cooked past medium (medium rare is better). Legs can be sautéed or crock potted & deboned for gumbo or enchiladas.
you can't get a cleaner bird than waxed but taking the time to melt it is what takes so long ,,2 dips let cool completely ,one pull on a leg to break the wax and it goes smooth ,also a great fire starter afterwards

#10 ·
motor-vater said:
The liberal douche bag comment has me howling.

#11 ·
Rice Hunter said:
motor-vater said:
The liberal douche bag comment has me howling.
they won't be if they read this!!!

#12 ·
alanwebfoot said:
dudejcb said:
tmclaimerFL said:

you can't get a cleaner bird than waxed but taking the time to melt it is what takes so long ,,2 dips let cool completely ,one pull on a leg to break the wax and it goes smooth ,also a great fire starter afterwards
also a great fire starter afterwards[/quote Are you talking about using the feathers stuck to the wax as a fire starter? I would think that would smell horrible?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.