Duck Hunting Forum banner

How do you eat your ducks/geese?

5K views 27 replies 24 participants last post by  BusterAZ 
#1 ·
Looking for different ideas on using duck and goose meat. I usually make dry sausage sticks but that gets old. Any good fresh recipes would be great! Thanks, all ideas welcome

PS. wife isn't into rare cooked, so any ideas on fully cooked would be great.

#4 ·
Deep fried duck legs with a raspberry chipotle sauce from a company called Bronco Bobs. Dip in ranch, blue cheese or eat as is.

For duck breasts I'll brine them, wrap in bacon, and cook in the oven at 350. Baste with a mixture of orange marmalade, a little brown sugar, and some cayanne pepper for some heat.

Still trying not to mess up a goose

#6 ·
Take the breast filets and half them...so u have 2 full size breast filets just thinner. Pound them out a touch. Then I get a pan started with butter, green pepper a little onion and garlic. Set oven at 350. Dip the filets in egg and cover with Italian bread crumbs and pan sear both sides. Place them in a baking pan, put them in the oven for about 15-20 min. You can serve them with red sauce and angel hair pasta and a steamed veggie of your choice. If you are a carb junky a piece of garlic toast. Don't forget a nice cold beer.

#9 ·
I've always cooked goose in a crockpot, season it first and brown on both sides in a pan, throw it in the crock pot with a little chicken broth for a few hours. Drain the broth, shred the goose with forks, add your favorite bbq sauce and enjoy.

#10 ·
njgoosehunter said:
jeffro is that for duck or geese? sounds more like duck to me, but just checking
Both man, both are good that way. The key is to pound the meat out a bit. It breaks up those fibers and makes it more tender. Ive also cubed geese up and made goose kabobs. Cube the goose filets and let them soak in Italian dressing over night. Its a little on the tougher side but its still rather tasty.

Goose stew is pretty good as well. Same thing cube it, and make your stew like normal.

#12 ·
Here's a recipe I usually fix at least once on the trip up to Canada each year. Best way to fix snows and also good on Canadas. Makes a really good gravy with either mashed potatoes or rice.

Saskatchewan Goose

1 Goose (Canada or Snow)
Butter
Italian Bread Crumbs + any other spices
Salt , Pepper & Garlic Powder
3 eggs beaten
Flour
Onion, large ,sliced
1 can Cream of Mushroom soup (can substitue Creme of Chicken or add to C of mushroom)
1 can milk or half & half

Filet the two sides of the goose from the breast and place in cold salt water overnite to remove blood. Change water often . Remove and pat dry. Cut breasts into 1-2 inch cubes. Salt, pepper, and garlic powder cubed breasts to taste. Coat cubes in flour and then dip in beaten egg. Roll egg-dipped cubes in Italian Bread Crumbs plus any other spices you prefer.
Brown cubes in butter in skillet over medium heat so as to adhere crumbs to the meat. Don't cook, just brown.
Place the browned goose cubes into a roaster and add sliced onion. Pour heated mixture of Cream of Mushroom soup and milk over meat and add water until goose and mixture is covered. Place roaster, top on, into pre-heated oven at 350º for ½ hour. Turn oven down to 200º for 3-4 hours, stirring occasionly. Serve with mashed potatos or over rice. Delightful.

"This recipe was served to me in 1985 by Mrs. Willie (Ivadelle) Kosior, Fillmore, Saskatchewan. It has been a favorite ever since"

If you are preparing more than you can eat at one sitting, the cubed, coated and browned goose pieces will freeze quite nicely on a cookie sheet and then bag 'em for future cooking. Just zip lock or shrink wrap the frozen pieces and use them for a later feast. I have also added cut potatoes and/or carrots to the recipe, but the above is much simpler.

#13 ·
This is a great recipe.

http://www.ducks.org/Hunting/Waterfowl- ... e-Colorado

Another good one I do at camp several times every season-

6-8 duck breasts
Smoked sausage
Garlic
Can or two of black beans
Can of tomatoes
Can of V8
Beef broth
Red wine (optional)

Cube duck and sausage. Brown sausage. Brown cubed duck in batches in sausage grease, adding more fat if needed. Add diced garlic to last batch of duck breasts. Put all in crockpot, almost covering dry contents with broth and wine. Simmer on low all day. Serve over rice.

#14 ·
This is how I prepare and cook my goose breast. Seems to work well for everyone (even the people that don't like rare, wild game meat).

I brine the breast overnight in salt water (or a combination of salt water and garlic/pepper)

The marinade consists of the following (4 goose breast recipe):

4-5 Habanero or Jalapeno peppers - sliced thin, with seeds (use gloves)
Brown sugar
Salt
Pepper
Garlic - fresh or just garlic powder
Olive oil
Orange juice - acid to cut some of the heat from the peppers

Let it marinade in the fridge overnight, cut it into cubes, wrap in bacon, grill.

Tastes like a piece of steak.

#15 ·
For me 4 duck breasts or 2 split goose breasts soaked in a wine of preference and slow simmered in a pan with onions and celery. While this is cooking and what not start cooking a mushroom sauce ingredients -
2 cups chicken broth (as cooking add bouillon cubes to taste)
1/2 cup flour
1 cup diced mushrooms
1/2 cup diced green onion
1/2 cup butter
toss into a sauce pan an simmer and stir till all mixes and reduces ( you will want it to reduce to a thin gravy like viscosity)

Boil wild rice, serve duck on bed of wild rice topped with the mushroom sauce.

#16 ·
How I prepare both my ducks and geese is to
breast out the bird
soak in salt water overnight in refrigerator
strip breasts into 1/4-3/8 inch thick pieces
Season with your favorite deer jerky seasoning (I am currently using seasoning from Walton's)
Let sit from at least 12 hrs
Smoke with hickory wood for 3hrs 45 min @185*F with smoke on for about half the time
Package up and bring out on the next hunting adventure because nothing beats eating the game that you are currently hunting.

It even worked on snow geese this past weekend. It was my first experience with them and it turned out excellent.

#17 ·
My favorite duck recipe; take only breasts, slice each breast like a pita bread, slice into the side but not all the way through. Insert a slice of canned peach. Now take two slices of bacon for each breast, nuke for 30 seconds, wrap the nuked bacon around the peach-stuffed breast and hold in place with toothpicks. Might take two pieces of bacon. Now put this concoction on the barbecue. Note, if you don't nuke the bacon first it will still be raw when the breast is cooked.

Now for a sauce. Take a package of frozen raspberries, it in small pot. Cover the raspberries with dark rum and boil, boil, boil. Now take 1/2 cube of unsalted butter and melt in frying plan. Add 1 cup brown sugar and add one cup catchup. Mix well. When raspberry/rum mixture is heavy mess, mix butter/brown sugar/catchup with raspberry/rum. Pour this over the bacon-wrapped duck breast. Enjoy.

#18 ·
One thing I do that works really well with ducks is to run the meat through a food processor for just a couple of pulses, mix in some seasoning of your choice and a tad bit of pork fat. its important to watch the consistency that is why I said only a couple pulses maybe 3 seconds total depending on your food processor, I use a NINJA brand one.

Now you essentially have ground duck, perfect for tacos, chili, spaghetti ect.. basically anything you would use ground beef or ground chicken in substitute in the duck.

#19 ·
Second post says it all...
Any duck cooked past medium rare is going to get gamey or livery. Look up some Asian recipes (or have some Asian cook for you)for legs and thighs with orange sauce or something like that...Maybe that's the way to go with your wife. Maybe you eat the breasts and she eats the thighs and legs? Less of the bloodyness that u get cooking a whole breast.

#21 ·
I like plain med. rare duck, but that not what you asked for. But... the best way I've found to eat a canada, is to turn the breasts into partrami. Tried everything else to get them things eatable, everyone that has tried the pastrami loved it, have turned about 50 geese into it last year. Go to Hank Shaw's website, "hunter, angler, gardener, cook" He has a good recipe, I loosely follow that one.

#22 ·
Heres a great recipe for goose, my grandson wont eat anything wild so I told him this BBQ beef, he ate 3 sandwiches before I told him it was goose and he wouldn't believe me. finally his grandmother told him what it was and he believed grandma LOL
Now he cant wait till goose season.

BBQ goose

Heres my recipe

3 or 4 Canada breasts

About 8 oz of untrimmed pork loin or pork chops, I think the fat on the loin helps the flavor

1/2 medium onion sliced and clove garlic minced

4 tablespoons bourbon

Enough apple cider to completely cover the meat

Tablespoon pepper

Cook on high for 2 hours, then turn down to low and cook another 6 hours

Remove the meat and pull apart with a fork It will be super tender

Throw the liquid away and either use a new liner bag or wipe out crock pot

Put pulled meat in crock pot and mix in BBQ sauce to your preference of thickness. I used Curleys but any brand will work
I buy it by the gallon

Heat in crock pot on low until its good and hot

I served mine on buns with pan fried potatoes and ranch beans

You could probably make it with out the pork, but I think the pork fat adds a little to the overall taste.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#26 ·
For geese, I brine mine with just plain salt and water for 3 days changing out the water 2-3 times a day when it turns red. After that, I put it in a zip lock bag and put in soy sauce, sriracha and honey. I marinate it for 2 days and a few hours before using it, I cut in into small strips and then throw them back into the bag and pound them flat with a meat tenderizer. I then cook them in a frying pan with butter until rare or medium rare. It tastes almost like Asian style beef. I then serve it over rice or just eat as is. I haven't tried it that way with duck yet, but I may have to.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.