Step by Step Instructions on eating the WHOLE duck

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

Step by Step Instructions on eating the WHOLE duck

Postby duckjumper » Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:24 am

Over the past few years I've seen a lot of threads here on what to do with this part of the duck or that, debates over breasting out vs. plucking, etc, and whether or not it is worth it to eat the legs of the ducks.

Well, I decided to go through in detail exactly what we do with our ducks and geese in this post.

Now I'm not saying everyone should do this, but if you are looking for info on what to do with legs, wings, gizzards -- how to make duck broth -- or even how to use some of the more esoteric parts like livers and hearts, I've gone over it here.

I hope you like it, and I'd love to hear what y'all do with the various "duck bits."

dj
I love all of God's creatures, properly prepared.
duckjumper
hunter

Postby phishbum » Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:14 am

:thumbsup: Thanks!
phishbum
hunter

Postby Zinger » Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:29 pm

Good ideas. I too am a firm believer in eating what you shoot and using as much as you can of the animal.

So, do you have any tips on how to pluck waterfowl easily?
Zinger
hunter

Postby quackillz » Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:06 am

Zinger wrote:Good ideas. I too am a firm believer in eating what you shoot and using as much as you can of the animal.

So, do you have any tips on how to pluck waterfowl easily?

Rough pluck then bring water and a block of parafin wax up to melting temp but do not boil. Dunk rough plucked duck in a couple of times then right into cold water. Once wax hardens peel like an orange. Easy and you can reuse the water!!
My lab is smarter than your honor student
quackillz
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking