Gumbo

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

Gumbo

Postby duckwizard » Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:23 pm

Anyone got any good duck Gumbo recipe's?
The wicked flee when no man pursues.
duckwizard
hunter

Postby Heath » Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:34 pm

In the DU mag awhile ago there was a real good one.
Its an addiction...
Heath
hunter

Postby duckjumper » Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:38 am

This is my recipe,which also uses shrimp. It is a great dish to use shot-up ducks (because the meat is chopped or shredded) or for divers, because the seasoning is pretty bold. But you could use any duck .[/url]
I love all of God's creatures, properly prepared.
duckjumper
hunter

Postby duckhnter4life » Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:33 pm

I unfortunatly dont know my grandma's recipe but I give her my ducks cleaned and makes is cajun way. which is the best way in the world(and NO cajun food isnt loaded with red pepper). I am going with my uncle whos a guide in a week and ill let you know how dam good it tastes.

Your on the right track tryin to cook it in gumbo.
Justin

1-specklebelly
1-mallard
1-blue wing teal
1-grey duck
3-wood ducks
(only been out twice)
duckhnter4life
hunter

Postby GroundSwatter » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:09 pm

This is the one from the DU Magazine, I made it, and also note the modifications I made to it.

Ingredients:

1/2 cup peanut oil
4 tablespoons flour
1 1/2 cup diced onions
1 1/2 cup bell pepper, any color, seeded and diced
1 pound smoked sausage (Andouille Sausage is preferred but your favorite brand will do)
3 cups boneless skinless duck breasts fillets, each [edit] into 3-4 pieces
3 quarts chicken broth
1 tablespoon file powder
1 tablespoon paprika
1 tablespoon salt
5 cloves garlic minced
1 pound medium shrimp, pealed and deveined
1 teaspoon thyme
1/4 cup fresh parsley, minced
6-8 cups cooked warm white rice

First the roux:

in a heavy skillet over medium-high heat, combine peanut oil and flour to make the roux. Cook while stirring constantly until roux is a mahogany color. remove from heat and stir in onions and peppers (this will help cool the roux)

Second:

In a large heavy stock pot over medium heat, cook sausage until brown. Add duck and cook until browned. Add chicken broth, file powder, paprika, salt, and garlic. Stir in roux thoroughly and bring to a boil, stirring often. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until duck is very tender, about 1 1/2 to 2 hours.

Lastly:

Once duck is tender, stir in shrimp, thyme, and parsley. Cook until shrimp is pink, about 4 to 6 mintues more. Mount about 3/4 cup of rice in bowls and ladle gumbo over it.

My Modifications:

In the spirit of gumbo, keep in mind that you can alter / modify many of these ingredient, especially the meat. Instead of duck, I have taken wild turkey legs, coot, goose, venison, whatever you have. With the wild turkey legs I usually boiled them in the chicken stock instead of browning them.

I like to add some red pepper to the mix as I like things a little spicy, usually a 1/4 table spoon to a 1/2 tablespoon depending on your tolerance for heat.

File powder, hard to find in Missouri, but it is a nice touch, not necessary, but its a good touch. You can add it while cooking, but its almost better if you hold off and sprinkle a little on your gumbo at the end while its in your bowl.

Okra is also a nice touch, if you like Okra, if you don't like okra than you can leave it out. It definitely helps thicken the gumbo and I like the taste of it. Again this is up to you. I usually buy the frozen bag that's already sliced up and dump it in.

Tip on the roux, whatever you do, don't burn it. It says Medium High heat, but you can do it on medium, it just takes a little longer. Sometimes a little extra patience helps. I have done it on medium high before, just don't leave it for a second or you might burn it.
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking