Goose Recipe

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

Goose Recipe

Postby River Hill » Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:01 pm

I need a suggestion for cooking goose breast. My son just got his first goose and I want to cook it for him. I am hoping for something that is sweet or something without onions, green peppers or such. You know the things kids hate.
River Hill
hunter

Postby ronvt » Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:12 pm

I cut it into cubes and pan sear the outside. I put it in a slow cooker with bef broth and a dark beer and some vegis. I serve it over rice. My 7 and 9 year old girls love it.
ronvt
hunter

Postby goosebuster2882 » Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:48 pm

what kind of dark beer do you sugggest???
goosebuster2882
hunter

Postby ronvt » Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:15 am

Any amber or dark will work. The alcohol boils off and the sweetness of the barley remains. I use guiness or a microbrew that does not put sugar in. I have cooked hundreds of geese, it is a staple in our house and the crockpot will make it the most tender. It will be so tender you can cut it with a spoon, just make sure the cubes are pan seared first. I will also take the au jus and mix a little flour with it on the stove for gravy.
ronvt
hunter

Try this one....awesome!

Postby splitshot » Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:09 pm

Marinate the breasts in a 50/50 mixture of teriyake marinade and apple cider (a ziplock bag works great for this) marinate overnite in fridge. put breasts on a HOT charcoal or gas grill, sprinkle with montreal steak spice...cook untill RARE (still pink in the middle), slice thin and serve with rice pilaf...great this way! And you can cook veggies on the grill at the same time if you want them...(squash,peppers, mushrooms, onions, whatever)
splitshot
Newb

Brine?

Postby Flier » Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:48 pm

Anybody ever brine their goose meat?
Not hard to hit, just easy to miss.

Tom
Flier
hunter

Postby ronvt » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:57 am

I always brine with 1 cup ice water, 1 tablespoon organic sugar and 1 tablespoon of kosher salt.
ronvt
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking