dry duck

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

dry duck

Postby agengo02 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:51 pm

unless i cook them in the slow cooker, my ducks turn out too dry and tough. after reading quite a bit about it i think my problem is i have little to no fat that i cook them in. sometimes i do them in a little bit of olive oil in a pan, but still same problem. should i start using butter if im just frying them up in the pan? if so, should i use a lot or just a little bit?

they also always taste good using the bacon wrapped chunks on the grill. it seems no matter how long i leave them on, they always stay juicy. im just trying to find faster ways of cooking them so i dont have to fire up the grill or use a slow cooker.

so maybe throw a few pieces of bacon on the breast to add some fat?

im talking breast only (going to start skinning all my ducks now and may try to pluck a few but thats for another post) so let me know what yall think? ive got some thawing out right now so after drawing blood out and marinating ill probably try them on the stove in some butter. gonna do it medium heat (most likely) and probably poke a few holes in the breast to let the butter get all up in there.
agengo02
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:50 pm

If they are coming out dry then your cooking them too long. You still want them slightly bloody in the middle when you pull them off. :thumbsup:
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby GroundSwatter » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:10 am

Duck is best when cooked medium. You are definitely over cooking them.

Just remember, a little duck blood never hurt anybody :thumbsup:
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby Kiskadinna » Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:36 pm

As said before me, cook lower and medium to medium rare.
ALso, consider brining (soaking in a solution of salt prior to cooking) or barding the meat with bacon (and who doesnt like bacon!?) or similar.
-Erik
Kiskadinna
Super Moderator

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking