Smoker Electric versus Gas

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

Smoker Electric versus Gas

Postby HNTFSH » Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:20 pm

I did a search first but didn't see the topic (I am sure it's somewhere here!).

Do you smokers have a preference using an electric versus gas? It seems a tempertaure controlled unit is the most important thing.

Ideas appreciated - thanks.
No such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby cuppedup50 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:03 am

man one of these days i am gonna get a gas one. i dont really like the idea of an electric smoker. really charcoal would be the best option but i think a gas one would be good. i've been looking into this as well.
cut em.
cuppedup50
hunter

Postby hubmonkey » Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:07 pm

I use a Brinkman Electric Smoker all the time, so much so I have had to replace the element in it before and it is getting close to time just to buy a whole new one. (had this one for 6 years)

Temp control is important in smoking and if you want to tend to your smoker all the time then a wood burning unit is for you. I personally am too busy to attend to one all day long.

Electric you just add wood for smoking between the element and fill your water bowl up (a little tip, I use cheap apple juice in mine). Plug it in and as they say on TV set it and forget it!

Electric is the only way to go, no need to worry about get bottles filled or running out of fuel.

I do ribs, turkey breasts, whole chickens, pork shoulders, and even fish on my electric smoker. Man I am getting hungry just thinking about smoking some Striper with garlic salt and cheyan pepper.... mmmm.

Hub
hubmonkey
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking