jerky

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

jerky

Postby allgreenhead » Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:05 pm

i only have an oven but we have made a couple batches of mallard jerky. we just marinade it for 24 hours, salt it then put it in the oven until it seems dried, havnt got sick, nor has it tasted bad. but does any one have any ideas to do it this way, and does anyone know any good recipies that do well cooking them in the oven.
allgreenhead
hunter

Postby 60's hunter » Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:13 pm

Hey greenhead-----you got the right idea, just make sure the meat is on racks so air can get all around. Use your favorite flavoring---lowest heat---pull it out when all the mosture is gone but before it gets brittle.------You're makin me hungry.
60's hunter
hunter

I

Postby paduckkiller » Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:45 pm

I just made some today. You can buy Jack Link jerky spice at the grocery store. It includes the cure and spice and instructions. Basically cut the meat into 1/4 inch strips, work the seasoning into the meat with your hand, put in fridge for 24 hours, put toothpicks in the pieces and hang on oven rack, cover bottom rack with foil, bake at 200 deg. for 4 hours (for a dry jerky). That's about it, but if you by the seasoning it has the instructions, except for the toothpick thing, they tell you to put them on the rack and this will cause a mess with them sticking to the rack, other than that it turns out really good.
Line em up and watch em fall.
paduckkiller
hunter

jerky

Postby allgreenhead » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:50 am

nice the toothpicks sound like a great idea i will try it.
allgreenhead
hunter

Postby Lowduk1 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:58 am

hey all green....before i had a meat slicer what i would do is take my breast to the local butcher to slice it up for me....it makes a world of difference having equal thicknesses....everything seems to get done at the same time. I made all my jerky in the oven for years....i got a dehydrator for christmas and i cant believe i went so long without one. i got a great deal on it at the bass pro shop....my famous jerky recipe that i use on waterfowl, venison, and beef is for the pound of meat...6 oz. liquid smoke, 6 oz. soy sauce, 6oz. worchestershire, pinch of garlic powder ( I dont use garlic salt because the liquid smoke has plenty salt) pinch of onion powder, a couple pinches of pepper of choice, and a teaspoon of texas pete...this works well in the oven or dehydrator...the toothpicks really help big time in the oven.hope this helps you out....tim
Lowduk1
hunter

jerky

Postby deepsouth » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:26 pm

I've tried the toothpicks and other things... The easiest way I've found that works great is cut your breast into small strips, marinate for 24 hrs in you favorite marinade( mine worcestershire, little soy sauce, garlic salt, creole seasoning, crushed red peppers), put foil on the bottom oven rack to catch drippings, lay meat across top oven rack, cook for 8-10 hrs on about 130 deg. Timing may differ you just have to keep checking it for desired tenderness.
deepsouth
hunter

Postby callumcuffumkillum » Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:15 pm

Remember once you take it out it will get dryer as it cools
It's not a passion it's an obsession
callumcuffumkillum
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking