Seared Duck Breasts with Raspberry-Zinfandel Sauce

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

Postby GGibsonl34 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:55 am

Well, like an idiot, I started a thread in the CA forum entitled "Duck Recipes" without realizing there was already a forum for such a thing. So, while I start reading through trying to get some ideas for the next time I cook, I thought I'd post the same thing I did in the CA forum. Here's what I cooked tonight:

I took the breasts out of 6 teal and one pintail, and saved the carcasses with the leftover meat for sausages. Like always, I soaked them in saltwater for a few hours to draw out as much of the blood as possible.

I then seasoned them three different ways to experiment with flavor a bit, and ended up liking all three:
- Garlic Poweder and Seasoned Salt
- Honey Glaze
- Olive Oil and Herb & Spice Rub

Now its just a matter of cooking them to taste (rare, medium-rare, or ruined. Take your pick). Grill pan with some walnut oil for about 10 minutes worked just fine.

Now for the sauce. First off, this makes a LOT of sauce, but should re-heat fine for future dinners. Otherwise, you'll want to cut all the ingredients in half or more.

First, reduce a half bottle of red wine. I used Zinfandel, but by the time its reduces and covered in raspberries, it could matter less which type of red wine you use.

Once it's reduced, throw in 1 lb of raspberries and about a half stick of butter and mix it all together over heat.

Now let your girlfriend throw some flowers on the plate, and enjoy!

Greg Gibson
GGibsonl34
hunter

Postby cuppedup50 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:11 pm

looks tasty.
cut em.
cuppedup50
hunter

Postby bluewing77 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:45 pm

great post, looks delicious too. even the flowers. :yes: so your better half didnt think it ridiculous to be taking pictures of the food before during and after cooking? mine always gives me a ration when i'm "working" on a Cooking Forum post.
bluewing77
hunter

Postby GGibsonl34 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:36 pm

so your better half didnt think it ridiculous to be taking pictures of the food before during and after cooking?

Nah, she realizes that by encouraging me to cook, she gets good dinners - there's plenty more duck, goose, pheasant, deer, pig, abalone, etc in the freezer... the last thing she wants is for me to stop cooking!
Greg Gibson
GGibsonl34
hunter

Postby PBR Me » Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:43 am

Looks good. How much did you reduce the wine?
PBR Me
hunter

Postby GGibsonl34 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:20 am

How much did you reduce the wine?

Hmm, it's basically just till it looks "good enough." Best I could describe is that it's no longer transparent, and while not overly thick, probably about the consistency of room temperature oil. From half a bottle at the start, there's maybe 1/2 cup of reduced wine left when I add the berries. Hope that makes sense...
Greg Gibson
GGibsonl34
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking