Need help with livers

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

Need help with livers

Postby bd1273 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:59 pm

Hey there!

I know that Foie gras (goose/duck liver) comes from specialty farm raised birds etc and that there is a curing process involved. I was just curious if anyone out there had a proven process that came close using "fresh" goose/duck livers that are harvested from the wild?...or any recipes that may work using the livers would be great as well.

Anything shared about this topic would be great…
bd1273
hunter

Just found a recipe for duck livers...

Postby bd1273 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:09 pm

Ingredients
1 1/2 bottles red wine (preferably from Bordeaux)
About 1 pound fresh duck liver
3 1/2 ounces sliced carrots
4 pieces star anise
1 cup sliced leeks
1 large onion, peeled and sliced
2 cloves
1 tablespoon sweet peppercorns
2 large handfuls coarse salt
1 large handful powdered sugar
Salad, your choice, for serving
Vinaigrette, your choice, for serving
Green asparagus, for serving
Directions
Pour the wine into a large cast iron pot and add all of the ingredients. Place a lid on the pot, and heat on the stove for a minimum of 5 minutes, or until boiling. Remove the pot from the fire and be sure that the duck liver is completely submerged in the liquid. Allow everything to come to room temperature, and then place the pot in the refrigerator for 24 hours. Remove the duck liver from the wine, and cut into thick slices. Accompany the meat with a salad and some green asparagus spears served with a vinaigrette.

This recipe was provided by professional chefs and has been scaled down from a bulk recipe provided by a restaurant. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe, in the proportions indicated, and therefore, we cannot make any representation as to the results.
bd1273
hunter

Postby bd1273 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:22 pm

Hey there...nobody has anything to add here!!!???? COME ON... :help:
bd1273
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:02 pm

Follow the recipie but use your duck or goose gizzards, hearts and livers instead of chicken. Just be sure not to over cook the livers in the butter and chop after frying, not before.... :thumbsup:
I make this every year for thanksgiving and christmas and it's a big hit! I've made it for tailgating at football games and football parties too. Might make it for the big game on sat.

http://www.jfolse.com/recipes/meats/beef38.htm
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby ctbduck » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:04 pm

I may be wrong but isnt foie gras when you force feed the goose until there liver is so large it almost explodes? than you cook it somehow? I've heard that the taste is amazing. I know that its also illegal in a lot of statess
ctbduck
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking