Have any of you guys tried eating these animals?

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

Have any of you guys tried eating these animals?

Postby Primos Partner » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:56 pm

Call me crazy, but I'm willing to try eating anything once (except coyote). I was wondering if any of you guys have either tried eating any of these personally or heard feedback from someone who has.

Crow
Raccoon
Beaver
Badger
Bobcat
Coot
Skunk
Opossum

Just curious on whos tried any of these. I hear crow and raccoon arent that bad at all. Id be willing to try any of these. It may be nasty, but ya never know. You just might match the perfect recipe to the weirdest sounding animal to eat :hammer:
Primos Partner
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:41 am

I've eaten many a beaver before.... :rofl:
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Primos Partner » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:56 am

Indaswamp wrote:I've eaten many a beaver before.... :rofl:

LOL. holy **** i never saw that one comming... :yes: :rofl: :biggrin: :thumbsup: :lol:
Primos Partner
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:27 pm

Thought you'd get a laugh outta that!!

We do however eat coots...a.k.a. poule du. pop the breasts and save the hearts and gizzards, along with some good smoked sausage to make one hell of a gumbo!!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby DuckinFool » Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:42 pm

None of the above and have no desire to eat any of the above. :no:
Recession-neighbor loses job...Depression-you lose job...Recovery-Obama loses job.
Don't blame me.....I didn't vote for him !!!
DuckinFool
hunter

Postby razorback » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:02 pm

Not me personally, but I have a guy that I work with that has eaten most if not all of those, he swears once you try beaver you wont eat beef again. I believe he smokes it, mostly, but finishes it off in the oven. I know for a fact he has picked up a day old beaver off of the side of the road!!
razorback
hunter

Postby ctbduck » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:07 pm

raccoon suppose to be decent. Cant eat badger here in wisconsin. Dont care for coot. Dont know about bobcat, as far as possum, skunk, and crow. No thank you.
ctbduck
hunter

Postby magnum » Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:55 pm

Nothing eats crows! Not even maggots!
magnum
hunter

Re: Have any of you guys tried eating these animals?

Postby Smackaduck » Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:15 am

Primos Partner wrote:Call me crazy, but I'm willing to try eating anything once (except coyote). I was wondering if any of you guys have either tried eating any of these personally or heard feedback from someone who has.

Crow
Raccoon
Beaver
Badger
Bobcat
Coot
Skunk
Opossum

Just curious on whos tried any of these. I hear crow and raccoon arent that bad at all. Id be willing to try any of these. It may be nasty, but ya never know. You just might match the perfect recipe to the weirdest sounding animal to eat :hammer:

Crow is a very dark meat therfore really strong tasting, but can be eaten.
Raccoon is delicious when prepared properly but if not will be tough as boot leather.
Beaver tail, is the only thing Ive had and it was good.
No badgers around here or we'd eat them too.
Bobcat, I wouldnt eat, thatd be like eating your pet cat.
Coots as indaswamp said are close any other duck, a little more gamey and livery than other birds but the gizzards are big and good.
Skunk falls into that same category as cats. Im not eating felines.
Possum I have not eaten but hear its as good as squirrel.

Anything with fur or feathers can be put in a gumbo or fricasee and you will never know what it is only that its delicious. :thumbsup:
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:51 pm

Anything with fur or feathers can be put in a gumbo or fricasee and you will never know what it is only that its delicious.

That may be true... with atleast one exception- jackrabbits!! there is no way to make 'em taste good. period. Since they live in the desert.. they have adapted to have a very high ammonia content in the flesh. they do not urinate often in order to retain water. When the meat is cooked, the ammoina is released and it is foul!! take it from me.... I lost a bet years ago to a texan that I could make 'em taste good- I had no idea what I was getting into! :no: I had to throw it out and conceed the loss, and buy everyone steaks. set me back about $200.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby REDGUN » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:10 pm

Smackaduck wrote:
Raccoon is delicious when prepared properly but if not will be tough as boot leather.

:dito:

Years ago, I met a man that said he loved eating armadillo. He called it "pork on the half shell".
REDGUN
hunter

Postby don taylor » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:42 pm

I've have recipes for mountain lion, bobcat, porcupine, seal all kinds of stuff. I'd like to try R. M. Bighorn sheep. I'm playing the lottery.

Opossom should be pieced, braised and slow roasted at 275 degrees until the meat is tender. Groundhog and racoon are best cooked in a stuffing or something to keep it moist and braised/roasted in the same way.

I wouldn't eat that stuff ever again. I don't like eating scavengers, rodents or predators. My dad cooked everything. You always had to beware of chop suey. Toss some of those crispy noodles on top and everyone would chow down.
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

Chairman- The Allegheny Chapter of Delta Waterfowl.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4277478 ... 6859634909
don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Postby salthunter » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:53 pm

Ive had a lot of the game you listed I have never eaten crow or badger.
Ive eaten coyote mt lion, bobcat, all were sweet and tender. I dont care for the taste of raccoon,.. or skunk,.. skunk seemed richer in flavor both were greasy, I didnt care for the overly sweetness.
My brother trapped in Mississippi. At the end of the day they would have about a dozen people waiting at their fur shed to skin the raccoon and possums and they charged the people to skin the animal .75-1.25 per animal, the skinners got the carcass
As a professional trapper I kept the loins from my 1 and 2 year old beaver. 2 year old beaver I often kept the "hams" and had it ground for burger and sausage. I usually put a couple hundred pounds each year for my own use.
We had a waiting list of folks that wanted beaver carcasses for game feeds. On good days we would just give them a call.
Don Taylor my fahter-in-law killed a dessert bighorn 2 years ago,..The preferred meat in my household.
This year my daughter and I killed 3 antelope very fine table fare,..Mule deer are at the bottom of my list of big game
Like Don said I perfer not to eat predators or omnivores. Rodents, rabbits, squirrel, muskrat, beaver, no problem,..Ive eaten prairie dog,..what we had was tough Since moving west, jackrabbit is of my list too
You can make things happen,.. or wait for things to happen
salthunter
hunter

Postby salthunter » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:59 pm

Indaswamp wrote:
Anything with fur or feathers can be put in a gumbo or fricasee and you will never know what it is only that its delicious.

That may be true... with atleast one exception- jackrabbits!! there is no way to make 'em taste good. period. Since they live in the desert.. they have adapted to have a very high ammonia content in the flesh. they do not urinate often in order to retain water. When the meat is cooked, the ammoina is released and it is foul!! take it from me.... I lost a bet years ago to a texan that I could make 'em taste good- I had no idea what I was getting into! :no: I had to throw it out and conceed the loss, and buy everyone steaks. set me back about $200.

Should have got a jack in Iowa or Minnesota,.. You could have won the bet
You can make things happen,.. or wait for things to happen
salthunter
hunter

Postby gaduckhunter33 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:47 pm

i kill all the coons i see and sell them to the people that work on my farm they cant get enough of them though i have never tried it myself they say they like them get 15 bucks apiece for hem too
gaduckhunter33
hunter

Postby wild duck » Sat May 02, 2009 3:26 pm

Eaten crow once tasted horrid :fingerhead:
wild duck
hunter

Postby Callindux » Wed May 06, 2009 5:28 am

Beaver is delicious! Coon is very greasy and therefore does not sound appealing to me. How do you kill a skunk without making him spray? That would be enough for me not to eat right there. I think possum is one of the most disgusting animals and generally shoot them and leave them lay. They are still there when I return a few days later... so coyotes won't even eat them :eek:

A very good recipe for coot. Breast out the coots and fire up the grill. Take a cedar board and line the breast on the board, cook the breast while laying on the board flip and make sure they are cooked very well. Once its done take the breast and throw them away and eat the board :lol3:
I'm on the water until duck season, then in it.
Callindux
hunter

Postby cjg » Thu May 14, 2009 11:54 pm

Callindux wrote:How do you kill a skunk without making him spray?

Break their back
cjg
hunter

Postby forester11 » Wed May 20, 2009 5:38 pm

I worked with an old newfie once who ate seagull
forester11
hunter

Postby jpostx3 » Thu May 28, 2009 6:30 am

Beaver and Muskrat is delicious. Cut the meant off the bone in little chunks. Roll the meat in flour then put in a mixture of beaten egg, mustard, salt and pepper. Then roll meat back in Flour. AMAZING! Better than the other stuff I'm tellin ya. Well maybe not...Anyways as for skunks go you won't believe me, but my buddy will release them out of a trap sometimes. He doesn't do everyone, but he if sees one in a trap that is calm he'll sneak up there an release. Yes he has been sprayed before. Also, to get the smell out if you want to skin em (screw eating them). Tie bailing wire around there leg then tie them off to a flowing creek for three days. The current will wash the smell away and it should be cold enough outside the hide won't rot. I actually think the smell has a decent aroma to it personally. Enjoy your beaver..wish I had some right now. Oh yeah and make sure you don't cut the castor gland and it gets on your meat. Made that mistake and thought I washed it all off good enough. Boy was I wrong. YUCK!
Peace in the Middle East
jpostx3
hunter

Postby nausetduckhunter8 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:39 am

I ate crow, its dark meat that tastes somewhat like.....liver.....well maybe just kinda has its own special taste. I would not advise eating it. I also ate a starling. I bet my dad if he could shoot one I would eat one. All in all it wasn't horrible........
nausetduckhunter8
hunter

Postby fox1 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:46 pm

Raccoon on a grill not to bad

Beaver in a crock pot.

Possum never.
Nothing better than the smell of a wet dog and gunpowder on a cold morning!
fox1
hunter

Postby fallnl » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:17 pm

knew an ole boy who used to love eating possum...I couldn't touch the stuff...
If it flies...It might not die, but by God it will get a damned good dodging workout!!!

2009 TOTALS:
Mallard: 5

Team Quackers for Quackers...(the lowly probie)
fallnl
hunter

Postby aboz » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:38 am

raccoon is good, but for the rest of that stuff have not tried it but coot, one day when it was slow i was bored so shot one and cooked it. it was worse then dirt
take em
aboz
hunter

Postby sherlockbonez » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:43 pm

My grandfather used to eat raccoon once in a while. Not me tho, and I don't plan on eatting any of those unless Zombies are knocking at the door.
sherlockbonez
hunter

Next

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking