Have any of you guys tried eating these animals?

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

Re: Have any of you guys tried eating these animals?

Postby duckcommanderfinstr » Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:45 pm

Primos Partner wrote:Call me crazy, but I'm willing to try eating anything once (except coyote). I was wondering if any of you guys have either tried eating any of these personally or heard feedback from someone who has.

Crow
Raccoon
Beaver
Badger
Bobcat
Coot
Skunk
Opossum
:

I was at a fishing camp in Temagami,ON some years back and we had a wild game dinner supplied by our outfitter. He served beaver meat, oven roasted. It was quite stringy meat and a little tough, but tasty. Also we had Lynx meat(similar to bobcat) and it was very good. It was stewed in a mushroom sauce and the meat was tender and resembled cottontail meat. One other meat I've had that didn't make your list is ground hog(woodchuck) This animal is similar to beaver and a little more tender and not as gamey tasting.
Also I've had Porqupine meat and it was horrible! Not sure if it was because of where the porky was living (pine stand)at the time or what, but it really was awful. Skinning it wasn't as bad as one might think but not worth the effort IMO. Maybe somebody has had better luck with them?
Possum, skunk, coyote and crow are NOT on my to-do list! nno!:
I hunt.....because the voices in my head tell me to.
duckcommanderfinstr
hunter

Postby Johann » Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:47 am

My old teacher ate crow, he prepared it like dove.
I myself have tried Seagull tastes great, but it in buttermilk( i do that with eider too) for 24 hours in the fridge, then cook the breast on a pan with small pieces of bacon and a little bit of whiskey !
Johann
hunter

Postby CutEmMS » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:51 am

Bake you a coon with barbecue sauce and sweet potatoes, son, that is some good eatin
CutEmMS
hunter

Postby joshco84 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:52 pm

Here is the best way to eat coon.

Skin, gut, and cut off the head and legs. Boil in a big pot till the meat is easy to pull off. Boiling takes care of the greasy problem.

Take all the meat and put it in a crock pot and make it like barbque beef. Its awesome, and really just taste like any other BBQ.
Who knew strippers had feelings?

Botiz630 wrote:Careful, then you'll have to get something to get rid of the geckos. And then something to get rid of what got rid of the geckos. Before you known it your camp will be full of great white sharks fighting velociraptors.
joshco84
Leg Humper

Postby IdahoSkies » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:57 pm

I don't mind coot. I seem to come back from duck hunting with at least one. I usually leave breast them out and leave them soaking in some sauce for a few days then cook them up. Never had a problem with them.
IdahoSkies
hunter

Postby assateague » Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:28 pm

Raccoon, beaver, possum, and Muskrat. Muskrat is darn near a delicacy at home.
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
assateague
Emu hunter extraordinaire

Postby Nomeite » Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:09 pm

I ate a road killed possum once while in TN... at the time it was like I was eating prime rib.
Just because it is old dosen't make it a classic
Nomeite
hunter

Postby shooter2007 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:11 am

I have had nutria, its a lot like beaver from what I hear I had it in an slow cooked and put in an alfredo dish. Not gonna lie it was good. I will tell you what is bad is BBQ Armadillo .... Horrible
shooter2007
hunter

Postby summerducks » Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:13 pm

i dont know but i do know that cyotes can carry hepatitis!!!!!
summerducks
hunter

Postby redneckpilot » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:28 pm

Im a redneck so here is my input

BBQ Racoon is great!
Beaver tail is good.
Skunk? To hard to mess with not work it.
possum was not good at all.
never had bobcat or coot.
And i think crow is a sin!
redneckpilot
hunter

Postby duckslayer88 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:29 am

coon barbqued or baked delicous
bobcat grilled was good
possom was not too bad
nutria rat had grilled and in a stew both were good
armadill not so swift on it but if hungry enough would eat it
coot gizzards made into to a gumbo with some boudain wow
all time favorite would be needle nose gar fried up bout a good four footer
26 Blue Wing
34 Green wing
9 Gadwall
8 Pintail
21 Spooneys
3 Wigeon
2 Bluebills
1 Redhead
8 Specks
2 Snows
duckslayer88
hunter

Postby dnkfranks » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:13 pm

6 of us killed/carried out 90 coots on the last day of the season last year. Took all the breasts and gizzards and had no clue what to do. Gave them all to my Cajun father-in-law and he boiled the h*ll out of them and made one of the best gumbos I've ever eaten!!
09 totals:

BWT: 51
GWT: 4
Hooded Merganser: 1
Greys: 3
Spoonies: 1
Mallard: 1
Specks: 2
Ross: 1
dnkfranks
hunter

Re:

Postby dnkfranks » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:17 pm

Indaswamp wrote:I've eaten many a beaver before.... :rofl:

You gotta eat them fresh. If they smell dead, let it go!!!
09 totals:

BWT: 51
GWT: 4
Hooded Merganser: 1
Greys: 3
Spoonies: 1
Mallard: 1
Specks: 2
Ross: 1
dnkfranks
hunter

Postby ducksrlivetrap » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:12 pm

no badger or skunk but every thing else yes the coot is the worst out of the list i actually like coon better then duck or goose
The weakest like in waterfowl hunting is YOUR ability to talk to the birds.

Im a fan of the ugly boats.

nobody's perfect ,and im definitely nobody
ducksrlivetrap
hunter

Postby Bill Herian » Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:25 pm

I've had coon once and now I crave it but I cant convince anyone to dine on it with me and I cant eat a whole one. I tried a little scrap of coyote just to say that i have, wasent too bad. I'd love to try bobcat. Heck I would eat house cat if it means a cat has to die, hate cats. The only bighorn sheep ive eaten was in sausage form, tasted like a goat that lives at 12000 feet and licks rocks all day. Regular goats are good but ive heard butchers hate working with them. One of these days imma snatch me a seagull and see if I can choke it down. Crow is on the to do list along with beaver. Possum are about the most worthless creatures in creation, second only to porcupines, neither are worthy of any man's pallet.
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby summerducks » Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:49 am

Bill Herian wrote:I've had coon once and now I crave it but I cant convince anyone to dine on it with me and I cant eat a whole one. I tried a little scrap of coyote just to say that i have, wasent too bad. I'd love to try bobcat. Heck I would eat house cat if it means a cat has to die, hate cats. The only bighorn sheep ive eaten was in sausage form, tasted like a goat that lives at 12000 feet and licks rocks all day. Regular goats are good but ive heard butchers hate working with them. One of these days imma snatch me a seagull and see if I can choke it down. Crow is on the to do list along with beaver. Possum are about the most worthless creatures in creation, second only to porcupines, neither are worthy of any man's pallet.

seagull is great fried cut the meat off the breast the cut the brest into half dollar size pieces or bigger batter it up ad a little salt pepper in with it and dump it in the fryin pan
summerducks
hunter

Postby canbakchaser » Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:43 pm

Bobcat, I wouldnt eat, thatd be like eating your pet cat.

Good thing we all hate cats. :hammer:
Special Thanks to Autumn Wings Decoys for donating the 2011-2012 Central Flyway Rambler.
canbakchaser
hunter

Postby Kansas_Quigly » Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:19 pm

I have ate bobcat and coon at a wild game fead. THe coon was like bbq beef and was good. THe bobcat was chunked up in cream of mushroom soup and was absolutley amazing!!!!!!!
Kansas_Quigly
Newb

Postby Leadhead » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:12 pm

Opossum is greasy unless you cook it along time in the oven. Raccoon is excellent and taste a lot like squirrel. If we get one during the squirrel season we just cut it up and smother it in the big pot right along with the other game. a young one really is good and tender and the meat even looks like squirrel. Nothing will eat a crow, hate them things. have not tried beaver
(the real kind) but have heard it was good if cooked right. most anything is good if you smother it in the pot along with the onions, bell peppers, and sausage. Um, Um.
Leadhead
hunter

Postby Leadhead » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:25 pm

Johann wrote:My old teacher ate crow, he prepared it like dove.
I myself have tried Seagull tastes great, but it in buttermilk( i do that with eider too) for 24 hours in the fridge, then cook the breast on a pan with small pieces of bacon and a little bit of whiskey !

A friend who used to live in Alaska told me a story of one of his neighbors at the time inviting him over one night to eat some dumpster chicken for supper. When he showed up the guy was cooking cut up seagulls like fried chicken. Not bad he said, but that was in Alaska where chickens are hard to come by, I guess.

Armadillo are good also, but we stopped eating them years ago when we heard they carried leprosy. the same kind humans get.
My grandfather called them depression roast pigs....(cause they ate alot of em during the great depression).

can't eat a cat no matter what.
Leadhead
hunter

Postby daffy... » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:22 pm

Leadhead wrote:
Johann wrote:A friend who used to live in Alaska told me a story of one of his neighbors at the time inviting him over one night to eat some dumpster chicken for supper. When he showed up the guy was cooking cut up seagulls like fried chicken. Not bad he said, but that was in Alaska where chickens are hard to come by, I guess.

Armadillo are good also, but we stopped eating them years ago when we heard they carried leprosy. the same kind humans get.
My grandfather called them depression roast pigs....(cause they ate alot of em during the great depression).

seagulls are protected here. cant shoot them cus they keep our beachs clean but five years ago a chinese resturant was shut down cus they were selling it as fried sea chicken. as for armadillos, i cant remember what country it is but they eat it like holiday hams
daffy...
Forum Moderator

Postby Jev Long » Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:56 am

You guess ever eat snapping turtle? Thats some good eating right there. We caught a 35lber, 42lber, and a very old 55lber last summer. All made excellent turtle soup.

Never eaten coon, just skinned them and tanned the hides. I'd like to get into trapping and try beaver, only problem is all the beaver ponds around here are great duck hunting spots and I'd hate to loose them.
Life is short. Duck season is even shorter.
"Dont shoot 'till you see the webs of their feet!"
Smoke quack not crack.
Jev Long
hunter

Postby joshco84 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:58 pm

Jev Long wrote:You guess ever eat snapping turtle? Thats some good eating right there. We caught a 35lber, 42lber, and a very old 55lber last summer. All made excellent turtle soup.

Never eaten coon, just skinned them and tanned the hides. I'd like to get into trapping and try beaver, only problem is all the beaver ponds around here are great duck hunting spots and I'd hate to loose them.

Just dont over trap them.

Botiz630 wrote:Careful, then you'll have to get something to get rid of the geckos. And then something to get rid of what got rid of the geckos. Before you known it your camp will be full of great white sharks fighting velociraptors.
joshco84
Leg Humper

Postby Indaswamp » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:02 pm

Jev Long wrote:You guess ever eat snapping turtle? Thats some good eating right there. We caught a 35lber, 42lber, and a very old 55lber last summer. All made excellent turtle soup.

Do a search on the honey hole for "The Turtle Man"
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby joshco84 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:15 pm

Indaswamp wrote:

Do a search on the honey hole for "The Turtle Man"

The turtle man makes me feel like Einstein man.

joshco84
Leg Humper

Previous

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking