coots

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

coots

Postby dukblaster » Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:56 pm

Any one try coots?
dukblaster
hunter

Re: coots

Postby Indaswamp » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:41 pm

Search the Louisiana site...you'll find lots of recipies there. :thumbsup:
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby aggiechiro » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:37 pm

i know they get a bad rap, and for years i never shot them because i wouldnt eat them. one day last year three came into the spread before shooting hours, usually i like this, just think of them as free moving decoys. well i didnt see a bird all day, never even heard a shot-so much for my buddies 'sure thing'. well after picking up i was ticked and not looking forward to the long walk back so i blasted and dropped all 3.

i was tempted to leave them, but i didnt. cleaning them they smelled horrible. so i brined them overnight and the next day i quartered the breasts into 4 pieces then chicken fried them(smaller pieces=more breadding=better taste, true for whatever you fry). having spent a year of college i know i can cook well but was sceptical, so i gave it to my wife and said i wasnt hungry. she left me 1 little piece which was great.

thinking it might have been a fluke the next week i again shot a few, intentionally this time and cooked them the same way. all i can say is this season i plan to shoot my limit of coots every chance i get.
Gig 'em!
aggiechiro
hunter

Postby duck huntin mamou » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:26 pm

What the swamp rats do down south of me in the marsh is skin the birds whole and cook em in a gumbo.

If you kill 15 poule d'eaus every chance you get you should have plenty. What is the limit over there???
Chuck Norris bites the hand that feeds him,and eats their entrails.
duck huntin mamou
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:06 pm

duck huntin mamou wrote:What the swamp rats do down south of me in the marsh is skin the birds whole and cook em in a gumbo.

If you kill 15 poule d'eaus every chance you get you should have plenty. What is the limit over there???

:thumbsup: Save the gizzards too if you make a gumbo! just cut the lobes off each side and don't cut into the digestive sack-should get about 80-90% of the meat with out the mess...

You can also par-boil them, wrap with bacon and Bar-B-Que 'em!!!awesome apetizers!! We shoot about 120 for a big gumbo for our extended family Christmas party "down da bayou" (cajun slang for down the way in the other town) every year....
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby dog walker » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:29 am

A coot is only a life support system for that big azz gizzard they carry around.I often laugh at all the trash talking you hear or read about,its obvious that almost all of them have never tried them.

The lower section of the legs have alot of those little bones that are a pain in the but to deal with so I trim that away.I do this so I can have the thigh which is the part I like the best.So I take the thigh portion,breat and gizzard smother them down in a gravy with some rice and french bread for mopping up the debris.

If you just want to breat them stand on the wings and pull the feet,its easy and fast.
dog walker
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking