gamey taste

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

gamey taste

Postby vital_kill » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:15 pm

Here's a herb marinade to get that gamey taste out. You can find these at your local asian grocer.

1 stalk lemongrass (citronella) chopped finely
6 Kaffir limes leaves minced finely
1 clove garlic
1 tbspn grated ginger
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tbspn lime juice
1 tbspn lemon juice
salt and pepper to season
vital_kill
hunter

Re: gamey taste

Postby cjg » Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:07 pm

How do you define "gamey"? I've heard this for years about deer meat or whatever, isn't that what makes it good? If I didn't like "gamey" I'd shoot chickens and cows.
JMHO
cjg
hunter

Postby REDGUN » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:48 pm

cjg wrote:How do you define "gamey"? I've heard this for years about deer meat or whatever, isn't that what makes it good? If I didn't like "gamey" I'd shoot chickens and cows.
JMHO

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I think some people don't care for "deer meat or whatever" because it doesnt smell/taste like chickens and cows.

This marinade will probably help make these particular people not know the difference.
REDGUN
hunter

Postby Olbarney » Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:11 pm

Soak whatever you want in buttermilk - especially wild turkey and geese . Makes em tender and tasty .

We may all like what our game tastes like but it helps when your wife or freinds like it as well.
Captain Matt
Olbarney Guide Service
Olbarney
hunter

Postby 1ynggun » Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:36 pm

there is the problem that i run into. the gamey taste or whatever doesnt bother me, but try talking a few of my buddies and my wife into it...ya right..so i need to marinade it just right and they never complain....salt water will do the same thing and you dont have to go to an asian. :hammer:
1ynggun
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Duck Whisperer » Tue May 12, 2009 11:22 am

Another side of the "gamey taste", I believe, is the fact that a large number of "hunters" have no clue how to care for their game or fish once harvested. That "bad" flavor a lot of times is because of how the animal was stored before processing, how it was processed, aged and/or soaked, etc, etc.

That, and lets face it, most guys are not cooks at all, other than weekend grillers. Give a bad cook a not so easy piece of meat (game/fish) to cook and it's no wonder so many peolpe don't like to eat wild game.
Pro Staff to nothin'
Sponsored by nobody
I just do it.......Duckin' Crazy!

They say there is "a fine line between genious and insanity". That's the line I live on.
DW
Duck Whisperer
hunter

Postby GroundSwatter » Wed May 13, 2009 9:06 am

Duck Whisperer wrote:Another side of the "gamey taste", I believe, is the fact that a large number of "hunters" have no clue how to care for their game or fish once harvested. That "bad" flavor a lot of times is because of how the animal was stored before processing, how it was processed, aged and/or soaked, etc, etc.

That, and lets face it, most guys are not cooks at all, other than weekend grillers. Give a bad cook a not so easy piece of meat (game/fish) to cook and it's no wonder so many peolpe don't like to eat wild game.

I can agree with that. I think there are some that kill just for the sport of killing, but many of us enjoy taking game out in the field, caring for it, and then preparing it for friends and family.

My landlord is one of those people that has eaten some wild game, but has never really been a fan. I told him I wanted to cook duck for him and he kinda had a look on his face like, "are you kidding me". But I cooked it for him and I had to take the plate away from him b/c he was going to eat all my duck bacon jalapeno wraps.

I'm also kind of picky about what I serve people that don't normally eat game. I'll usually reserve doe steaks for company when cooking chicken fried venison. I know that a young doe is ultimately more tender than that buck I shot. I usually reserve puddle ducks for company and cook divers on my own time. I always want peoples exposure to wild game at my house to be positive.

Another Irony I have found is how much money people spend on "organic" or "Free range" products at the grocery store. I will not deny that organic / free range beef tastes different, but some people call that gamey. Also it doesn't get any more organic/Free Range than a wild duck, turkey, or deer.
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby Duck Whisperer » Wed May 13, 2009 5:49 pm

Good point GS. I'm like you in that when company comes, I'll be cooking my best "cuts/game" and using tried and true recipies. I'll do any experimenting on my on time. I also have "turned" many a friend by giving them some duck bratwurst, duck jalepeno/chedder summer sausage, etc etc
Pro Staff to nothin'
Sponsored by nobody
I just do it.......Duckin' Crazy!

They say there is "a fine line between genious and insanity". That's the line I live on.
DW
Duck Whisperer
hunter

Postby KSjayhawkDUCKhunter » Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:40 pm

I don't mind a little gamey taste. But the thing that does it for me is if the meat is either really tough or tastes weird. By weird I mean, I have had duck that has tasted bloody and a little like mud.. I have noticed late season goose meat is this way a lot.

Soaking the meat in milk helps tenderize it a little

...Now as far as deer goes? I think it tastes like steak with less fat. I love it. :biggrin:
2009-2010 Kansas Totals
10 Teal
1 Wood Duck
1 Widgeon
4 Shovelers
1 Ringneck
1 Merganser
4 Canadas - 1 banded
1 Pintail
KSjayhawkDUCKhunter
Newb

Postby okie870 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:02 pm

:lol3: the gamey taste is the taste of the animal you are eating IMO. I do agree with DW though. I was raised to eat anything I kill and the only reason to kill was to eat. In all honesty try eating deer burger for a year and then switch back to hamburger, after a year on deer burger hamburger taste "gamey" lol. I shot a few deer a year and always have deer burger and very rarely buy hamburger and I think hamburger taste horrible now but once again just my opion after eating deer for so long
okie870
hunter

Postby Skye Bustin' » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:17 pm

I've never been a fan of the "gamey" taste, but I also know that I am not all that accustomed to it. I'll eat what I kill no doubt, but I limit myself what I shoot, give some to friends or to the dog. I've heard soaking in milk/buttermilk helps, so I'm trying that this year. My idea is to acquire the taste through time so that one day I don't have to really soak anything out of it?

Like Okie said, after eating deer meat forever, beef tastes a little bit awful. The great thing about eating wild game is the health factor you're getting...no steroids, all-natural and if you don't add too much unhealthy product to it when you cook, you are getting the best quality meat your body needs.
Skye Bustin'
hunter

Postby GroundSwatter » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:26 am

Skye Bustin' wrote:I've never been a fan of the "gamey" taste, but I also know that I am not all that accustomed to it. I'll eat what I kill no doubt, but I limit myself what I shoot, give some to friends or to the dog. I've heard soaking in milk/buttermilk helps, so I'm trying that this year. My idea is to acquire the taste through time so that one day I don't have to really soak anything out of it?

Like Okie said, after eating deer meat forever, beef tastes a little bit awful. The great thing about eating wild game is the health factor you're getting...no steroids, all-natural and if you don't add too much unhealthy product to it when you cook, you are getting the best quality meat your body needs.

The real trick is, knowing what to do with those gamey pieces of meat. If I call a big buck, the only thing I make into steaks is the back strap, then I either grind up the rest or make it into sausage or jerky. If I kill a young doe or a spike, then I get more steaks from it, and grind less.

Same thing with diver ducks vs puddle ducks. Diver ducks I make into gumbo, puddle ducks I'll cook however.

If you need some recipes for covering up gamey taste, I have several for deer and a few for ducks. I can eat gamey tasting things, but if you can make it taste better then why not.
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby cjg » Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:27 am

Maybe they should make a special "Gamey" spice that you could put on chicken or beef and make it taste like some thing.
cjg
hunter

Postby gonehuntin' » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:50 pm

You don't need special marinades for wild game, what you need is less cooking time. Everyone has a tendency to cook all wild meat well done. That's wrong. Serve it rare and you'll be amazed at the incredible taste. Just cook the duck in a little olive oil and serve rare. Guaranteed, everyone will rave over it.
I hate seeing a game bird die of natural causes, unless I naturally cause it.
gonehuntin'
hunter

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:01 am

gonehuntin' wrote:You don't need special marinades for wild game, what you need is less cooking time. Everyone has a tendency to cook all wild meat well done. That's wrong. Serve it rare and you'll be amazed at the incredible taste. Just cook the duck in a little olive oil and serve rare. Guaranteed, everyone will rave over it.

:ditto: ....When I first started cookin' ducks I certainly had some science projects around :yes: I had little Teal that looked like little Mummies out of the crypt. I learned that 2.0hrs is for roasts, and .30min. is for ducks , in a hurry :lol3:
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Nomeite » Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:57 pm

I have to agree... I like the 'gamey' taste but a lot of my friend and family from the lower 48 don't, so I save the best (youngest) meat for them in my frezzer. I really believe that the way some hunters care for their meat and fish is horribile so you are going to have horribile meat/ fish however you are going to cook it. I aslo believe in ageing your meat , caribou, moose and duck/ goose it really makes a difference to me but then again I'm still new to duck hunting/ duck eating.
Just because it is old dosen't make it a classic
Nomeite
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:55 pm

The first step is propper cleaning and storage of the game.
I know some that "Age" the game with the guts inside, don't mind a little hair or extra fat or
blood clots here and there, however I go the other way.

Salt water is great for frog legs and to help get the blood out of game and keep the game tasting "Normal".

For those that are not sure about eating game, the marinades,salad dressings etc. are one way to break the ice
but the real games flavor is pretty well lost.

I soak mine, in wine ( red or white ) for the oven or use a orang juice and brown sugar paste to let my ducks set in over night
and then cut them up the back and down the breast and place the halves on the BBQ for 25 minutes or less. 15 min on the ribs and 10 on the skin side.

Yes I pluck all my ducks.
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby DuckJames » Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:21 am

Breathing life back into this old thread.

IMO, trying to remove the gamey taste is like trying to make beef taste like chicken. The meat is what it is. Its gamey bc thats what it is, wild game. Personally, the only way I really enjoy duck meat is in jerky. Every other way I've tried takes way too much time and effort to remove the "gamey" taste. This includes the buttermilk, brining, jalapeƱo poppers, and every combo of the same. Just my .02
DuckJames
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking