mudbugs

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

mudbugs

Postby Duck Whisperer » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:11 am

I got a bag of bugs being delivered this Saturday. Now I've cooked 'em many times before, and never had any problems but was hoping for some of our coonend friends for pointers/tips, as I know I can improve the end product.

My setup dictates how I cook 'em. I have a "turkey fryer" type burner (pretty hot); use a 10 gallon pot; filled about 2/3 full with water with about 3 to 5 lbs crawfish seasoning and maybe some lemons in the mix; my basket only holds about 3 lbs but even with such a small basket, once you dunk it in the large pot of rolling/boiling water, the water stops boiling immediately and it takes several minutes for it to come back to a boil. I normally let the bugs boil for another few minutes, then drain them, throw them in a cooler, hit 'em with a little more seasoning, then start another 3 lb batch. Once I got enough cooked (and holding in the cooler) for everyone to start, I'll throw 'em on the table, then cook more as the festivities progress. ( I normally do my potatoes/corn in a separate pot of boiling water/seasoning).

So my main question is how long do Y'all "boil and/or steep" your bugs before removing them from the water. It really only takes a few minutes to cook them; I never really figured out how people cook their vegetables with the bugs unless they boil everything for what I think would be too long a time for the bugs. And, I've seen and heard many different opinions on just about every aspect of cooking/seasoning them. Thought I'd elicit a few more - but - was really hopin' for the true Cajuns to speak up (I've really only heard from armchair Cajuns).
Pro Staff to nothin'
Sponsored by nobody
I just do it.......Duckin' Crazy!

They say there is "a fine line between genious and insanity". That's the line I live on.
DW
Duck Whisperer
hunter

Re: mudbugs

Postby duck huntin mamou » Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:17 pm

Alright Dave here it is.
Vegetables:
Im guessing your talking corn and potatoes and things of the sort. What you wanna do is boil the potatoes until they are soft enough to fall off of a serated edge knife when you stab 'em. And the Corn is done when it is soft enough to eat.

Crawfish:
I like to put all of my seasoning in the water before and let it boil adding a stick or two of butter and lemon juice, stirring a little bit to help it dissolve. Once that's done and your water is at a rolling boil drop in your crawfish. The water should stop boiling as you said. When the water returns to a boil turn off your gas. I like to let them sit in the water for another 10-15 minutes to let them soak up some more seasoning. Then take them out and throw 'em in an ice-chest. What welike to do is serve them in platters giving each person two platters one full of crawfish and one empty to throw the heads in.

What you can also do is just put your liquid crab boil and a litte bit of extra seasoning in the pot and do everything else the same, except dont let them sit as long. When you put 'em in the ice-chest sprinkle seasoning, lemon juice, and butter on 'em( I like to use the butter in squeeze bottles for this because it melts faster) and then let them steam in the ice-chest for a while after that.

The lemon juice and butter make them a little bit easier to peel.

There it is. Hope that's what you were looking for. :thumbsup:
Chuck Norris bites the hand that feeds him,and eats their entrails.
duck huntin mamou
hunter

Postby jasonphoto01 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:10 pm

1-4 cases of beer
35- 40 lb sack
1 lb cayenne
2 16 oz liquid Zatarains crab boil
14 bags Zatarains crab boil.
3 lbs yellow onion cut in half
1 bag lemon cut in half
13 cloves garlic cut in half
1 bag small red potatoes
2 sticks of butter

Open up a beer and start to drink
Stand around crawfish with beer and friends and talk about how good they look, the size, and the price you got on them.
Rinse your crawfish then drain them a few times the cleaner the better.
soak in the shade.
Put all seasonings in pot and bring to a slow boil.
Cover pot and boil for about 5 minutes.Add potatoes if desired and boil an additional 10 minutes. If not just
open cover and be sure boil is fairly rapid.
Dump in drained crawfish and turn fire on high.
Stir them real good.
Cover pot.
Watch for steam to start coming out of top.
Boil for about 5 minutes depending on conditions,cut off fire, and stir.
This is a good time to add frozen corn,Smoked sausage etc.
It helps cool things down.
Keep stirring.
Soak until done
Between 20 and 30 minutes depending on thickness of shells.
Dump out on table and allow women and children to eat first batch.
Grab another beer say thank you to everyone when the tell you how good they came out then start the next batch for the men.
jasonphoto01
hunter

Postby yamaha783 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:33 pm

"Open up a beer and start to drink
Stand around crawfish with beer and friends and talk about how good they look, the size, and the price you got on them."

This is a critical part of the process and my personal favorite of the whole deal. Good luck with your boilin'!
yamaha783
hunter

Postby Duck Whisperer » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:09 pm

Thanks for the insight(s). Hadn't thought of that steepin' 'em for a while in the water softens their shells. I do know the shells get thicker/tougher as the season goes on.
Pro Staff to nothin'
Sponsored by nobody
I just do it.......Duckin' Crazy!

They say there is "a fine line between genious and insanity". That's the line I live on.
DW
Duck Whisperer
hunter

Postby side-slippin » Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:16 am

everything looks delicious so far, the only thing i havent seen mentioned yet is purging them. usually i just do it in the kitchen sink, room temp water and lots of salt, i usually let them soak in that mixture for about 20 min
"Augustus...
...by-god Woodrow, it's been quite a party ain't it.
...yes sir."
side-slippin
hunter

Postby duck huntin mamou » Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:00 am

That's something that we have never done, and I have boiled for myself personally and at a restaurant. I don't quite understand the reason.
Chuck Norris bites the hand that feeds him,and eats their entrails.
duck huntin mamou
hunter

Postby jasonphoto01 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:26 am

I dont feel the need to purge them as long as there rinsed real good. theres enough salt in there to begin with.
jasonphoto01
hunter

Postby dspicer527 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:31 am

Totally obvious, but not obvious if you haven't see it done. You boil the potatoes and corn first. Then you take them out of the boiling water and let the water start boiling hard again. THEN you put in your first batch of crawfish. You're right, if you put the potatoes and corn in with the crawfish at the same time, you're messin up.

You've got a basket with your turkey fryer setup, right?
dspicer527
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking