smoked duck

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

smoked duck

Postby duckweed » Mon Oct 10, 2005 4:08 pm

hey fellas i just wanted to know if any of you have ever smoked a duck or goose. my father smokes venison and fish, but never a duck. any help would be appreciated.
BUY A GUN, PISS OFF A LIBERAL!
duckweed
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:48 pm

UMMM, I like duck just about anyway, but theres not a lot i dont like if your dad smokes deer and fish then he can smoke a duck. The ones we have smoked have been real good. :tounge:
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby Sagebrush » Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:55 pm

Hay, if U an't smoked a duck, go back to camel's ...Ha Ha. No really I have done both duck & turkey breast. But since U want dux check it out:

1. Soak the duck in Brown sugar & orange juice. or
2. Marinade it in Red wine over night. or
3. soak it in "salt water" to get rid of the blood & ducky flavor
4. Marinate or "Rub" your favorite "mix/sauce" & go for it.

5. With game shears cut up the backbone and down the breast, making two halves. "air dry" meat (wipe off moisture) ; spray PAM on the racks;put wet smokn chips into smoker; Place ducks rib side down on the smoker, put lid on !! Come back in 2 hours & add more chips!! Total time 4 hours +/- . ( I can do 2 25# turkey breast at a time in mine)
I'm @ 4500 feet elevation if that meens anything.....Later Ed
Sagebrush
hunter

smoked duck

Postby fishmunkee » Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:20 am

I filet out my duck/goose breast boneless and trim all fat and other non-meat stuff off. Marinate them overnight in soy sauce with garlic, oregeno, basil and black pepper (to taste). Put in smoker until medium rare. Time depends on size of breast. Chill and slice cross-grain very thin. Serve with good Wisconsin cheese and crackers. Your guests will rave on the snackins'!
fishmunkee
hunter

Postby JPS » Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:41 am

Smoking ducks is an oppertunity. But there are things to consider. Broken bones with blood and tissue. Infections waiting to grow.
Therefore. Rinse them well, and salt them well. I wouldnt say its enough with orange juice and maple syrup.
Over here ( in europe), we put them in a basin with salt water in the refrigirator, Salinity about 25% a little sugar added.
After that, and dried. You can smoke anything.
IF, you smoke it hot enough it will be boiled also and you get rid of the bacteria. If you stay on low temp. its at your own risk.
The best delicatesse around here is smoked eider breasts. The salted bare meat is smoked as bacon, semihot. used on sandwiches.
Waterfowler
JPS
hunter

Postby BLACKDUCK » Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:06 pm

smoke the breast meat.. really good..
sky busters ,,, go home!!!!!!
BLACKDUCK
hunter

Postby mud duck » Sat Dec 03, 2005 11:56 pm

I have to agree with fishmunkie. soy sauce, garlic, pepper, oregano, basil. I also add a worshester (sp) sauce. soak over night and smoke with cherry wood. Let cool, slice thin and serve with pepper jack cheese, crackers, green olives and beer. :getdown: :getdown: :getdown:
mud duck
hunter

Postby MacAttack » Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:31 pm

Tried it, loved it :getdown: :salude:
MacAttack
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking