Possible duck or goose burger

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

Possible duck or goose burger

Postby Beretta_Is_Betta » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:14 am

So im thinking of making some duck or goose burger does anyone have a good recomendation on the ratio of duck to beef so that i get enough fat to mak the burgers stick well together. I was thinking if i had two pounds of duck/goose i would use 1 pound of beef. aside form that i was wondering if you guys had any other ideas as far as toppings i.e grilled onioins, peppers jalepenos, obviously bacon, or cheese options, swiss pepperjack......let me know what you guys think or what you have tried im looking for somehting a little new and different.
Beretta_Is_Betta
hunter

Re: Possible duck or goose burger

Postby jehler » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:10 pm

I have never made burgers but plenty of salami and other sausage. It all depends on how fatty the meat is your mixing it with. I try to get about 20 percent fat.
Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail - upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick - erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick - rewrite it,
Plug it, play it, burn it
jehler
thread hi-jacking expert and a great guy

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:55 pm

definitely mix in some pork and some bacon to get the fat content up....couple of eggs and some bread crumbs...season to taste.
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby kdub » Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:36 pm

I made some with some ringers I had not long ago. I used about 50/50 duck and bacon, added some egg, breadcrumbs, and spices....yummy
kdub
hunter

Postby ctbduck » Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:35 pm

I would mix the duck with 80/20 ground beef. about half the beef to the amount of duck you have. So like you said one pound beef for every 2 pounds duck. Personnally i dont put any egg or bread crumbs in burgers. If you have enough fat in already you shouldnt need anymore "binders" such as egg or breadcrumbs. Your making burgers not meatloaf. However you make it let me know how it turns out...ive never even thought about making burgers with duck, but it sounds amazing.
ctbduck
hunter

Postby gonehuntin' » Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:25 pm

The other thing you can do is to make it into "duck salad", like ham salad or egg salad. Cook the duck breast. Run it through a grinder. Mix with relish, onion, boiled egg; what ever you want. Spread it on a bun and serve with a slice of onion and one of cheese. When I was guiding I'd bring these to the blind and warm them on a propane heater-stove combo. The clients went nuts over them. Nice way to eat duck if you don't really care for duck.

I don't do this anymore because I don't shoot enough ducks. Back in those days we were.
I hate seeing a game bird die of natural causes, unless I naturally cause it.
gonehuntin'
hunter

Postby tennispro » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:16 am

I would mix one pound ground pork with the duck meat. Then chop up some peppers and chedder and mix together. They are great on the grill. I also do this with ground deer too.
2011-2012 totals
geese- 3
GW-0
BW- 4
tennispro
hunter

Postby ramsey » Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:37 pm

Indaswamp wrote:definitely mix in some pork and some bacon to get the fat content up....couple of eggs and some bread crumbs...season to taste.

Agree entirely, ground bacon makes everything good! We get a batch made at the meat processor with spring snow geese every year, and it's also great in spaghetti and chili. For burgers, I like to add chopped green onions (sometime a package of lipton onion soup mix powder) and shredded cheese before making patties. It's good stuff.
Your trip of a lifetime gets our full attention: Ramsey Russell 's GetDucks.com is a full-time, full-service sporting travel agency specialized in trophy duck species and wingshooting experiences. We are paid sponsors of Duckhuntingchat.com
ramsey
DHC Sponsor

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking