10 ft jon boat

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

10 ft jon boat

Postby dcduckhunt » Sun Oct 16, 2005 5:35 pm

i just bought a new 10 foot jon boat im just wondering if anyone else out there has one and what kind of motor you have on it
dcduckhunt
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Sun Oct 16, 2005 6:26 pm

I've got a 10' v-hull. It's definitely not a duck boat, because it's about at tippy as a canoe, but I run a 5h.p. on it. Then thing cruises pretty good.
Brian
"Because a duck is just a 3 pound critter"
Keith Allen
gsphunter
hunter

Postby Grant48 » Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:21 pm

Whats it rated for? Most 10-footers I've seen are only rated for 3hp max. However, I've seen plenty of people run 5hp outboards on 10' jons. You might want to look at the 5hp Briggs & Stratton outboard. I hear that its a solid motor, and the price is awesome compared to the big names in marine motors (Mercury, Evinrude/Johnson, Yamaha, etc). I really like that its available in both black or camo. :yes:

ImageImage

www.smalloutboards.com/bg5.htm This place seems to have great prices, compared to Bass Pro Shops or Cabelas.
Grant48
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:25 am

They are air cooled too, which in my opinion is a :thumbsup: .
Brian
Keith Allen
gsphunter
hunter

Postby Penguine » Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:47 pm

:withstupid:

Those motors rock. $699 for black, $799 for camo at most places.
Penguine
hunter

Postby diver-hunter » Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:30 pm

yup, i was thinkin about buying one, but saw the "*not for saltwater use"...kinda disapointed me. i wonder why? other than a little rust, i dont see why you couldnt use it in the salt. anyone have any opinions?
I've got a shotgun, a rifle and a 4x4.....we can skin a buck and run a trot line & A Country Boy Can Survive....- Hank Jr.

You do your thing, I'll do mine...- Montgomery Gentry
diver-hunter
hunter

Postby DUKHTR » Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:44 am

back to the 10 foot jon.....I have one and find that it is for the lone hunter.....I use a 42 lb thrust electric and it is not a speed demon but gets me to and from.....is easy to transport in the truck and to load and unload......but just doesn't carry enough weight and is certinly not for any rough or open water.....I believe it is rated for a 2hp........a 12 footer might be good with a 5?
Last edited by DUKHTR on Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Postby gsphunter » Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:45 am

Probably because Brigss and Straton doesn't want them being sent back all the time with rust. I can't see another reason, because like I said before, they are air cooled so water isn't even going up into the block or anything. Just the lower unit.
Brian
Keith Allen
gsphunter
hunter

Postby diver-hunter » Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:59 pm

yea, thats what i though too. if you just wash it off after each time you use it, it prob. wouldnt rust that bad if at all.
I've got a shotgun, a rifle and a 4x4.....we can skin a buck and run a trot line & A Country Boy Can Survive....- Hank Jr.

diver-hunter
hunter

Postby T-MAN » Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:36 pm

I have a 14 footer and i have a 15horse on it. It works good with 3 people, i think you should have no more than a 15,(you have to remember this is coming from a 13 year old)

tyler
T-MAN
hunter

Postby talkinquack » Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:29 pm

I have a 12 ft jon boat. I just bought one of the briggs and stratton motors from bass pro. It pushes my boat about 10 mph with two people in it. It's works great on a small boat. It's all I need to get to the honey hole. You can use them in salt water but you have to clean them real good after you use it according to the manual that came with it.

I smoke my quack with a Remington 1100
talkinquack
hunter

Postby diver-hunter » Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:01 am

T-MAN wrote:I have a 14 footer and i have a 15horse on it. It works good with 3 people, i think you should have no more than a 15,(you have to remember this is coming from a 13 year old)

tyler

well you are a smart 13 year old :yes:. ive got a 14 footer also, and it says no more than 15 hp on the little plate in the back. sure you could prob. stick a 25 horse on it and sink the thing with a fat guy running it, but whatever "floats-de-boat" :mrgreen:

diver-hunter
hunter

Postby poacher » Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:30 am

The briggs and stratton air cooled motor is a great choice...a little loud though...but it wont freeze up on you. As far as horse power for your Jon Boat, most of these HP ratings are based on width. Your 10 foot jon would go like stink with a 15 hp on a stright away, and the transom could probably handle it, but once you crank the motor to make a sharp turn water could come over the side. Keeping that in mind, go with what you are comfortable with and your driving habits. I have a 14' with a 15 hp, but my marsh has very narrow cuts where turning isnt an option. I did have a 30hp on it but the weight of carrying the motor to and from the boat wasnt worth the extra HP.
"teal, teal, albino teal....wait, those are seagulls...take em.

wait till they line up and cross, 1 shell 2 birds
poacher
hunter

Postby Grant48 » Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:48 pm

diver-hunter wrote:
well you are a smart 13 year old :yes:. ive got a 14 footer also, and it says no more than 15 hp on the little plate in the back. sure you could prob. stick a 25 horse on it and sink the thing with a fat guy running it, but whatever "floats-de-boat" :mrgreen:

Agreed. I have a 14', and the max is 15hp on the Coast Guard placard. I run a 15hp Mercury Four Stroke. Cruises along real nice.
Grant48
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds