flotation pods

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

flotation pods

Postby jonpetersen » Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:18 pm

considering putting flotation pods on my boat to help distribute the weight of my mud motor.
I have seen them on the beavertail web site, it has no info about attaching them. How are they attached to the boat, I would assume they are welded in place but I am not certain. Are there other options besides what I have found?
thanks
Jon

PS are they worth the money??
jonpetersen
hunter

Postby Evil_McNasty » Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:26 pm

Size and shape of the boat are big factors on whether or not to mess with these pods. I've seen them welded on and bolted on. In my opinion, they aren't worth the cost or effort for after market models. But they do help the motor weight at slower speeds, you're right about that. I've heard conflicting reports on higher speeds. If you've got a long tail it'd probably help, since the speeds aren't real high anyway.
Evil_McNasty
hunter

Postby Arkie Farmer » Tue Oct 18, 2005 1:59 pm

When you're running 20+ pods seem to slow speeds down a bit from my exp. I've had 'em on a 1650 Xpress with a 30 and then a 40 hp outboard, and on a 1872 SeaArk tunnel hull with a 75. I liked them on the big boat but not on the 1650 -made the back stick up and the front plow. I have no experience with 'em on long-tail powered boats, but know that you have to run a offset bracket on a short tail to make it run properly with pods.

Good luck!
Arkie Farmer
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds