Difficult blind to build

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Difficult blind to build

Postby chrispbrown27 » Fri Oct 21, 2005 7:31 pm

Here's the situation guys. I have a 16' river jon I am trying to build a blind for and am running into a few problems. A scissor blind won't work because I have no where to attach it in the back. There is a folding seat for the driver to sit and therefore it blocks all possible central attachment points for the blind. I was going to use 3 supports on each side following the contour of the side of the boat and then bending in about two feet up but it sticks out too far and the trailor has guide-ons with the lights on top and the blind would stick out too far to do that. I'm also concerned about being able to see well enough when steering the boat (tiller handle motor). I'd love to build something that is collapsible, so i can get it out of the way when running the motor, pickin up decoys, etc. So, any ideas? I've already got the metal conduit, I just haven't bought any elbows or anything cause i wasn't quite sure what I was gonna do. Any help would be appreciated.
Chris
chrispbrown27
hunter

Postby jawilor » Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:07 pm

Can you post some pictures of the boat?
jawilor
hunter

Postby Admin2 » Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:12 pm

:withstupid: And maybe a pic or hand drawn (use desk top copier and scan) of what you want the end result of the frame to look like.

The Deputy riding shotgun
Admin2
hunter

Location: lurking around the corner keeping an eye out for trouble makers

Postby chrispbrown27 » Sat Oct 22, 2005 12:37 am

I was afraid you guys would want a picture. LOL Right now I don't have my digital camera, so I'm not going to be able to post one up for a few days.
As far as what I want the frame to look like, i have no idea. Everything I have thought of has been shot down because of some minor glitch. I don't want to change too much in the boat because it is still my Grandpas, and though he never uses it I don't wanna change things up too much. I was thinking the simplest way to do it would be to make a very basic blind with four legs attached to the floor somehow and then make a rectangular frame to sit on top of the legs. The only problem is that I can't figure out how to make that collapsible and like I said I really want to be able to drop it when moving around. I've been thinking about it and I think I might be able to follow the contour of the boat like I had planned, but I will have to make the bends right at the gunnels instead of further up like I had tried. This will eliminate the problem with clearance when putting it on the trailor. But if I do this I will have to do a second bend further up the pipe in order to close the top in, which would also give me a small roof to get back under when the birds are working or it is raining. This would eliminate a few of the problems but I still would have a problem with seeing while running the motor. I have also considered fabricating some sort of hinge out of an elbow and making a drop away section about halfway up the conduit. I did this once with pvc and it worked pretty well, the only problem is that the metal will be harder to cut to make the hinge.
I appreciate the quick response guys and I will get a couple pictures up as soon as possible.
Chris
chrispbrown27
hunter

Postby diver-hunter » Sat Oct 22, 2005 7:45 am

if you look in this forum under "just finished my boat transformation", you will see what i did. maybe it will help you, because i was kinda in the same position you were :thumbsup:
I've got a shotgun, a rifle and a 4x4.....we can skin a buck and run a trot line & A Country Boy Can Survive....- Hank Jr.

You do your thing, I'll do mine...- Montgomery Gentry
diver-hunter
hunter

Postby chrispbrown27 » Sat Oct 22, 2005 9:16 pm

Well, after tossin and turning all night thinking about it I finally figured out a way to make it work, I think. LOL I've got the basic layout of the frame up now and i think its gonna work out just fine. It's not going to be a po-up, but I've decided to make the blind material so that I can raise and lower it so that I can see when in motion. I'm thinking kind of a shower curtain ring type thing. Right now ive got the frame up (not strapped down like it will be but held up in place with duct tape so that I can get everything cut and bent right) on just the four corner legs, but eventually there will be three supports for each side and I'm thinking maybe going with five on each side. The material is pretty much up in the air right now. I'm thinkin of using some sort of canvas as a wind stop and then putting burlap on the outside.
As soon as I can I'll post up some pictures and show ya'll what it looks like. I am so far very impressed with myself. It's turning out just like I had it in my mind, which rarely happens.
Chris
chrispbrown27
hunter

Postby chrispbrown27 » Sun Oct 23, 2005 4:41 pm

Well, I got some pictures finally. I did a little more work today and I'm still happy with how it is turning out.
The first picture is of just the basic frame. The second is looking down the center from the front with the basic frame still. The third is looking down the inside from the front again with the middle supports up too. The fourth is looking from the back to the front with the center supports in as well. The fifth shows why I had clearance issues with the guide-ons. The sixth one shows how much I have between the end of the front of the blind and the front of the boat. And finally number seven shows how much space I've got between the back end of the blind and the back of the boat.
I think im going to move the attachment points and the back end supports are going to be moved back to the furthest back chine to make sure I'm covered when I'm sitting in my chair. As you can see it isnt attached with anything but duct tape right now. I wanted to get it all cut and bent and make sure it was going to work out right before I did any drilling.
Chris
chrispbrown27
hunter

Postby chrispbrown27 » Sun Oct 23, 2005 4:42 pm

I forgot to put the page on. LOL Here it is:
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/spankieme ... .dir=/d733

Chris
chrispbrown27
hunter

Postby diver-hunter » Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:19 pm

it looks real good. stick some camo material on it and it will look much better :mrgreen:
I've got a shotgun, a rifle and a 4x4.....we can skin a buck and run a trot line & A Country Boy Can Survive....- Hank Jr.

diver-hunter
hunter

Postby chrispbrown27 » Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:18 am

So, has anyone done what I am going to try? Making the blind so that I can slide it up and down the frame. I'm wondering if this isn't going to cause some problems. Any comments?
Chris
chrispbrown27
hunter

Postby diver-hunter » Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:59 am

i did it on mine, but with plastic piping. so did my buddy, and it works good.

diver-hunter
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds