Semi V vs. Jon Boat or flat bottom

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Semi V vs. Jon Boat or flat bottom

Postby huntingrdr » Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:51 pm

I am looking at boats and what is the difference i in a flat bottom and a semi v? I know the front on the semi v is shaped like a v and the flat is a square looking front. What about the ride? Which is smoother? Which one do you prefer?

Thanks Robert
huntingrdr
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:06 pm

The semi v will be a little better ride than a flat bottom. I run a flat bottom myself and enjoy it. Depending on the bodies of water you hunt will help determine.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby diver-hunter » Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:50 am

yea, out here diver huntin if you brought a flat bottom i would laugh my arse off. if your goin huntin on like lakes or somewhere that there isnt big waves and stuff, you could get away with a flat bottom.
I've got a shotgun, a rifle and a 4x4.....we can skin a buck and run a trot line & A Country Boy Can Survive....- Hank Jr.

You do your thing, I'll do mine...- Montgomery Gentry
diver-hunter
hunter

Postby ol' yeller » Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:48 am

The last 4 boats I've owned have been semi-v's because they ride smoother than flats in wind. Some days while hunting we'll be in 3' waves. The only thing I don't like about them is you lose some room inside of the boat because of the pointed bow.

Flats are good boats for places where you won't run into a lot of wind that will kick up waves. They float just a tiny bit shallower and you have a little more room in them.
ol' yeller
hunter

Postby HaydenHunter » Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:13 am

I ran a flat and smooth bottom GatorTrax last year. This year I wanted to try a Modified-V boat. I forgot about the 80-20 rule. Buy a boat for what you encounter 80% of the time in your scouting, hunting and fishing.

The Mod-V is much, much smoother the 20% or less of the time that we are on big water in transit to the sloughs and shallows we hunt. A flat bottom square front boat is safe in these conditions but it will beat the heck out of you as you pound your way through the rollers.

When you get to the shallows it is nice to have a dead smooth bottom boat with square front and airboat style rake if you like to jump logs, beaver dams and other obstructions. I don't run in the tight timber that might warrant a pointed bow on a flat boat. I like to poke my boat into places and run them until the water runs out. The mod-V has been miserable to turn around and get going from a stuck, dead stop.

I forgot about the 80% rule. Anyone want to buy a one month old custom welded Mod-V?
HaydenHunter
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:25 pm

GET A SEMI V! ALOT SMOOTHER! CAN HANDLE BETTER.
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds