layout boats

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

layout boats

Postby openwaterhunter2 » Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:03 pm

I have looked at I guess all the posts on layouts in here and I still haven't found what I am looking for. I am looking to find out about layout boats that have the big lip on em. I am not sure what it is called but i guess it's a splash lip and you rest your back and head against it. I done a google search and it showed several layouts but nothing to I was interested in. Can some of you give me some sites to hit if you know what I am talking about. Thanks.
openwaterhunter2
hunter

Postby stampnducks » Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:55 pm

www.duckboats.net They have several companies. Hope this helps
stampnducks
hunter

Postby DUKHTR » Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:45 am

IMO....nothing better than an MLB.

But there are others that stand out to me....the new UFO is pretty neat, and then there is the elongated lake erie style of the Bankes.

These three are the most affordable imo.......Lou Tish at LockStock&Barrel has an excellent boat too, but alot more expensive.

Just remember, when ordering there is a big increase in cost depending on the shipping, so keep that in mind.
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Postby openwaterhunter2 » Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:44 am

I still can't seem to find what I am looking for. I know they make the kind I am wanting because they are in several books and magazines I got. I am going to try and explain it so ya'll can tell me what to look for. It's pretty much just like any layout but around the hole you set in, it has like a turtle neck that comes up and at a reverse angle from the slop up to it. It looks about 12 inches high and on the back it slopes back around 18 inches long. It looks like you would stay alot drier in this boat than the others I keep finding.
openwaterhunter2
hunter

Postby CLUTCHfan » Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:20 am

I know on UFO's site they mention spray skirts and spray curtains. I would imagine the spray curtain is what you're looking for, but there's no picture. I know what you mean, and I know I've seen one online, but I can't remember where.
TNAL45 wrote:I like my beer like I like my violence....Domestic.
CLUTCHfan
Former DHC Ball Buster

Location: Behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore.

Postby ISHOOTDIVERS » Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:43 pm

Openwater you wouldn't be talking about a Bankes 1 man pumpkinseed style boat with a solid cowl would you?I am with DUKHTR love the MLB's we have 2 in our fleet both classics great boats and killed lots of ducks from them, but this year I decided to be different and bought a UFO after checking them out a few times with Rich and Tony, these guys do good business and we have shot plenty of birds already with the boat, each boat has their advantage and disadvantage but I am glad with my UFO.Here is a pic of the UFO with clear full sheild compared to MLB cowl up
Not the best pic but gives you an idea I have the full sheild Tony offers 1/2, 3/4, or full sheilds and at first I didn't like the look of the clear but seeing it on the water I will never have another canvas cowl.
Diver Hunters Do It In Big Waves!

Save A Seal, Club An Activist
ISHOOTDIVERS
hunter

Postby openwaterhunter2 » Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:23 pm

Ishootdivers you hit the nail no the head. It's a cowl. Thats what I been trying to say the whole time. I didn't know it wasn't a solid plastic. I narrowed it down to MLB and UFO. I like the MLB but I don't like it's back rest it just doesn't look comfy. I like the back rest on the UFO but I don't like the ridges on it. With a price of only 100$ difference I will have to think about it this winter and maybe get me one in the summer.
openwaterhunter2
hunter

Postby ISHOOTDIVERS » Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:50 pm

Openwater, I am not hear to bash either or, both are great boats and backed by good guys and both will kill ducks.After having 2 MLB's in our fleet I was pretty set on buying another, but then started checking into the UFO's.Well luckily UFO's are made about 2-3 hours from me and Tony has a Rep. about 10 mins from me, after getting to check the boat out and really see what it was about and all and then figuring a rack system for the tender we use (we designed 3 different racks before we finally came up with the one we use and we love it) and figuring out how much bigger the UFO was and all and I decided to be brave and go with the change.Main differences are UFO is a tad heavier, but has much more room, sacrifice a litle stealth but trust me the boat kills birds, molded in backrest a plus IMO the drain plug oh so nice lift one end instead of roll the boat upside down and side to side, and my favorite feature is the handles, boy are they nice the little things and they are very very nice to just reach down adn grab the boat and yank it right in.The MLB is a little stealthier, if you put a clear cowl on a classic you will probably never find a layout for stealthier, a little more cramped, the thing thast really bugs me is foot room, I hate sitting pigeon toed, plus I think shooting from the UFO is easier and better range of motion for me, in Canada last week I actually rolled over and sat up on me knees and shot 2 drake buffs flying behind me :getdown: .In the end just buy the boat that fits your needs wants desires and pocket.Both are great boats and both are stable, and solid, as you can see we do stand up in both boats.Either way good luck with your decision, if I can help with anything please let me know.
Diver Hunters Do It In Big Waves!

Save A Seal, Club An Activist
ISHOOTDIVERS
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds