Spitting and Sputtering

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Spitting and Sputtering

Postby Jay Jolicoeur » Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:59 am

:help:
problem:I have a Go Devil (about 8 years old) runs strong. However, about a week ago It would all of sudden loose power (sounding like it was throttling down) then be fine. Recently it has increased in frequency as well as doing a little spitting and sputtering. Running Strong the rest of the time.

My thoughts:
Something is in the fuel like H20, or trash in the line. My game plan is to clean the line, drain the fuel and clean the carb.

Question:

1) Does the symptoms go with my suggested problem?

2) Are there any other things that you think I should do to correct the problem. (either instead of or in addition to)

We have a two week break in the season. I want it to be humming at the end of two weeks. I appreciate all your help.
Jay Jolicoeur
hunter

Postby Deadeye_youth » Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:07 am

Check the sparkplug :thumbsup:
WHACK EM' AN STACK EM'
Deadeye_youth
hunter

Follow up

Postby Jay Jolicoeur » Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:30 pm

I changed plugs, air filter a cracking fuel line and did a quick clean on the carb with carb cleaner. It it doesn't work I will take the carb off and do a more thorough job.

I found at the Kohler website where you can down load the manual. I looked at the manual for the 25 HP and it discussed three possible problems for the spitting and sputtering. One being air filter.

I thought the website was a good resource for fixing minor problems.
Jay Jolicoeur
hunter

Postby HaydenHunter » Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:41 am

I see you are in FL. Have you nonetheless been running in 35-40 degree temps with humidity? Might be carb icing.
HaydenHunter
hunter

No ice

Postby Jay Jolicoeur » Tue Nov 29, 2005 6:59 am

No its been warmer. We may have had one day in the high 40s. Most days are in the 60+
Jay Jolicoeur
hunter

Postby ISHOOTDIVERS » Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:02 am

Check your air filter clean or not, check your plug look at and see what the motor is doing see if its running lean/rich/or dead on, then like you said go through ytour carb check your fuel line make sure you don't have any leaks
Diver Hunters Do It In Big Waves!

Save A Seal, Club An Activist
ISHOOTDIVERS
hunter

Plugs

Postby Jay Jolicoeur » Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:42 pm

Old plugs had a fair amount of carbon on them, but they didn't show a lot of wear. I just put in a new air filter.

What do I look for to see if it is running lean or not?

I appreciate the help.
Jay Jolicoeur
hunter

Postby ISHOOTDIVERS » Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:44 pm

Look at your plugs they will be a whitish color if motor is lean and if it is rich they'll be black and maybe have some fuel on them, you should be right at a brownish organish blackish color LOL

ISHOOTDIVERS
hunter

Need more opinions

Postby Jay Jolicoeur » Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:34 pm

I have changed the air filter, oil filter, oil, plugs, cleaned carb, replaced an o-ring, replaced fuel line. It ran great for about two hours and when we were coming back it started spitting and sputtering again. I am going to change the fuel filter in the line. Any other suggestions?

Issue #2. I adjusted my throttle to try to fix other issue. Can't seem to get the power I had. Any suggestions regarding idle and throttle.

I appreciate the help.
Jay Jolicoeur
hunter

Postby ISHOOTDIVERS » Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:04 pm

Is your motor running where it should be as in gas/oil mix and what not, a lot of times with temperature change and what not motors are very tempermental ecspecially 2 strokes, also everything is cleaned in and out have you done a compression test by chance shouldn't be a problem but may want to check into it, maybe rings are out or on the way out but your still getting enough to run on I've seen it happen to me even :thumbsdown: As far as your throttle goes maybe it is time for a new cable the old one could be freyed not allowing full motion or stretched out enough that adjusting isn't doing much, just trying to help out any other ideas guys?

ISHOOTDIVERS
hunter

thanks

Postby Jay Jolicoeur » Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:20 pm

I just replaced the cable, but it is getting shorter cause I broke it twice by trying to force it. I may get a new cable. I am thinking about removing the governer as well.

I don't mix the oil and gas because it is a mudd motor. I am going to change the filter. If that doesn't stop the permantely stop the sputtering I will get the compression tested as well as the idle checked.

It is still running pretty well except for the ocassional sputtering. Just don't want to get stranded in no man's land.

Thanks, you have been a tremendous help.
Jay Jolicoeur
hunter

Postby ISHOOTDIVERS » Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:22 pm

No problem just trying to think of anything off hand, seems odd to me if you have all of your intake air/fuel and what not and your exhaust and your motor is getting what it needs to run and you got problems?

ISHOOTDIVERS
hunter

Fuel filter

Postby Jay Jolicoeur » Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:07 am

I talked to a neighbor who is a retired mechanic. He said that it was probably the filter in the line getting clogged. I will keep you posted.
Jay Jolicoeur
hunter

Postby Evil_McNasty » Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:41 am

Let's hope that's the problem, as that'd be a quick fix.
Evil_McNasty
hunter

Re: thanks

Postby Gooseboy » Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:39 pm

Jay Jolicoeur wrote:I just replaced the cable, but it is getting shorter cause I broke it twice by trying to force it. I may get a new cable. I am thinking about removing the governer as well.

I don't mix the oil and gas because it is a mudd motor. I am going to change the filter. If that doesn't stop the permantely stop the sputtering I will get the compression tested as well as the idle checked.

It is still running pretty well except for the ocassional sputtering. Just don't want to get stranded in no man's land.

Thanks, you have been a tremendous help.

Hehe i bet that puppy will run without a governer! :mrgreen:
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby ISHOOTDIVERS » Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:45 pm

Little motors are to easy to blow up without having governors on them, I removed the governor from my parents lawnmower some years ago it lasted about 2 cuts at 15 MPH that was all she wrote! :yes:

ISHOOTDIVERS
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds