What about this?

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

What about this?

Postby KCDuckMaster » Mon Nov 28, 2005 3:51 pm

So I have an old 14.5ft. fiberglass bass boat with a 50hp evinrude. I dont have a duck boat and I've decided that I am going to have one for next year. I dont know if I should just use that one or go out and try to find a aluminum hull. Ive never seen anyone with a fiberglass duck boat, so I was kinda wondering what everyone thought about using one.

Its a flat bottom boat so it rides high in the water, so running in shallow water isn't a problem. Now stumps and logs thats another problem, since its a fiberglass hull. But in all my days of wading in I've never found a log or stump big enough to do anything to it.

So what do you guys think, go with the firberglass boat or try to find a aluminum boat?
If they weren’t meant to be eaten, then why are they made of meat?
KCDuckMaster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ISHOOTDIVERS » Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:10 pm

Me personally I'd stay away from fiberglass beings rocks, stumps, logs, things of that nature aren't good, although we have taking a Grady White out shoreline hunting on some really rough days and also a 21' Hydra Sport with a MLB and 80 Herters foamies, the fishermen at the ramp looked at us in disgust :yes:
Diver Hunters Do It In Big Waves!

Save A Seal, Club An Activist
ISHOOTDIVERS
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:40 pm

If your hunting areas have stumps or rocks i would either be really careful! Or get an aluminum one. Have a great season! :thumbsup:
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby okie_duck » Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:31 am

I saw 5 guys and a dog head out in a stratos bass boat last week and have a buddy that hunts out of a 15 ft fiberglass flat bottom kingfisher that he camouflaged, didn't look to bad. I would personally use what I have rather than not go at all, but the aluminum hull will be a lot more durable.

Good Luck!
okie_duck
hunter

Postby KCDuckMaster » Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:13 pm

Ya the aluminum hull is what I would rather have, but I'm getting tired of wading in all the time.
KCDuckMaster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby gsphunter » Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:19 pm

I hear ya KC. That's all I ever did until this year. Wading in with decoys, guns, and whatever else is no fun. Then standing in the ice water :thumbsdown: . You can get a super cheap aluminum boat, and even a little 5 to 10 horse would push you around good enough unless you're planning on running the river with it.
Brian
"Because a duck is just a 3 pound critter"
Keith Allen
gsphunter
hunter

Postby KCDuckMaster » Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:51 pm

No, not going to run the river with it especially if I use the fiberglass boat I have now. Plus it would probably stick out like a sore thumb, the only reason I would use it would be to hunt a new spot but I would just use it to get my stuff there then throw the layouts on the sandbar and then park the boat somewhere downstream.
KCDuckMaster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Gooseboy » Sat Dec 03, 2005 2:52 pm

I think it would work. Good luck! :thumbsup:
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby Grant48 » Sun Dec 04, 2005 1:39 am

You already have it, go ahead and use it.
Grant48
hunter

Postby reedp79 » Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:36 pm

Ive seen a couple of carolina skiffs that have been converted into duck boats, and they look pretty good. I say go for it
reedp79
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds