Gettin an Idea on a Mud Motor...

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Gettin an Idea on a Mud Motor...

Postby QuackWacker08 » Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:48 pm

Heres the question. I can get either a new fourwheeler, or a mud motor boat of some kind. I just need something to get 2-3 and gear around in shallow water. Im not a speed freak as I want be hunting far from let-in point. What sizes of boat and motor are reccomended? Like I said, Im not a power freak that needs "the best macho setup", I just want something to get around in. About how much would a setup cost? And what are the performance specs? Range of water depth able to run in, wave safety, pushing abilitly, etc.

I just need to get an idea on cost to see if I wanna get one or not...

P.S. Should I go long shaft or short shaft? Ill only have half a foot or shallower water at times...
QuackWacker08
hunter

Postby Nab » Sun Dec 11, 2005 6:55 pm

Since you don't have far to go a longtail will get the job done and at a lower price. I would say at least a 1644 and 23hp or 1844 boat and 27hp. The longtail will go less water that you spoke of, the shortail will handle the waves better.
If you go with a true mudmotor boat here are some price estimates -
1644, 23hp longtail and trailer - $7500 plus shipping and options - add $700 if you go with a 25hp shortail.
1844, 27hp longtail and trailer - $8200 plus shipping and options - add $1000 if you go with a 31hp shortail.
These are ball park figures - alot will depend on where you live(shipping) and any options you choose.
Hope this helps.
Nab
hunter

Postby UT Greenhead » Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:49 am

I agree! The longtail would probably suit your needs well, and as he said for alot less $$$. Only other thing I would suggest. Be sure you get a true flat bottom boat. it will make the pushing much easier. If you're going to carry that much load I would suggest an 18' rig. It'll let you sit higher in the water and therefore draft less. One other thing to consider, if you run in half foot of water even 20% of the time you might want to consider square chimes. They will also help the boat sit higher in the water.

If you only knew how complicated this stuff could get :laughing:
“You can agree with me or you can be wrong!”
UT Greenhead
hunter

Postby Duck U 2 » Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:44 am

Depending on your budget, where you're going, and if water current is involed I'd suggest a flat bottom 12' jon boat w/ 2 oars and a back up trolling motor.
That's what I used to use.
-Duck
Duck U 2
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds