Duck Boat Lights

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Duck Boat Lights

Postby Bigeasy08 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:23 pm

Does anyone have a recommendation on driving lights for a boat? I've been looking around at some, but I am looking for something thats reasonable in price. I don't need a 15 million candle power set of lights, i just need something that I can use for cruising 10-15mph. Thanks
Bigeasy08
hunter

Re: Duck Boat Lights

Postby Mark F. Cheney » Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:58 pm

I recomend going to the local auto parts store and getting some BaHa style driveing lights. They provide lots of light and are affordable. They will run on the alternator af fairly small motors.

Mark f. Cheney
utahmarshmotors.com on the Great Salt Lake marsh

801 721 3293
Mark F. Cheney
DHC Sponsor

Postby crispy8034 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:40 pm

Does anyone run lights like these on their hybrid? I'm trying to figure out the right battery to use for some decent lighting and possibly some LED's through a switch to light up the cockpit while I'm getting situated.. I won't have a motor or an alternator. I'm new to electronics so I'm not sure if any other info is needed to make a reasonable assumption. I was thinking about something like this: http://www.odysseybatteries.com/battery/pc310.htm but I'm thinking it might be overkill?

I don't mean to thread jack. Thought the info might be useful to the OP and it fit with the thread topic :)
If trees could scream would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time and for no good reason.
crispy8034
hunter

Postby TRYDUCK » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:47 pm

I would by a golight like bass pro or cabelas has..you can find them on line cheaper...mount you a post is you do not have one already. Not only do you have a light you have a light you can move around and see with it is wireless remote. Then keep a nice spotlight hand held in boat that has a beam and flood switch. After that find you some good head gear lighting to help you move around launching, boating, setting up, and other things.

By the time you wire and buy lights you can have a pretty penny in them...I would go right the first time it will pay off in the long run!
TRYDUCK
hunter

Postby S_GA_Boy2008 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:36 pm

I have 2 Baha lights from walmart (ones with the plastic grill). They are not enough powerer but was told I can take off the grill and put 100 watt bulbs so they'd work much better. I'll be changing them out before the season starts. I recommend alligator clips, a battery, and a spot light though.
S_GA_Boy2008
hunter

Postby flyn its dien » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:50 pm

20$ at walmart and they work pretty good, and they dont draw to much power. I also aim them down for gigging :thumbsup:

"Shoot em again!" 2010 alumacraft 29 hp kawi hyperdrive big blade/ air boat coming soon !

2010/11 season
Redheads 2
Bluebills 87
Ringers 2
GW Teal 4
BW Teal 2
Mottled 4
Hooded Merg 4
Common Merg 1
Woodies 16
Buffle head 1
Geese 1
gadwall 1
flyn its dien
hunter

Postby aeonstar » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:22 pm

Harbor freight! Cheap lights and they work ok. I would rig them with quality switches and wire. It is nice when you rip off a light in the brush and all it costs is 9 bucks :) don't forget one facing out the rear. It's nice when you rap the prop or get stuck.
http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result/?category=&q=Lights
aeonstar
hunter

Postby Ichabod97 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:04 am

gotta agree with aeonstar. my two buddies and i all have the harbor frieght $10 pair of lights on our boats. all work good. to keep them from getting beat up though we made some surrounding boxes out of metal at work. i'll post up pics when i get a chance.
Nick "Ichabod"
Waterfowl Mafia

Modified Scissor Blind ppt

imaduckin up north wrote:There aint no ducks in VA
Ichabod97
State Moderator

Postby aeonstar » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:02 am

the other thing i have done is mount them on a piece of aluminum C channel. Reason is duck boats are super sensitive to loading and no matter how hard you try to adjust them right they never will be. With the aluminum channel you just take off and have the guy up front push or pull them to set them right for the days load.
aeonstar
hunter

Postby black olt » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:37 pm

go to napa or another parts store and get the rubber tractor lights and don't mont them on top you catch all the glare if you put them under the front you can count the twigs on the water they are about 15 or 20 bucks each
black olt
hunter

Postby AJCsurf » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:58 pm

I'm just commenting on this so I don't have to search for it in the future.

All great ideas! Post some more pics with links!

AJ
AJCsurf
hunter

Postby carolinagreenhead » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:14 pm

I put a set of 100w KC's on mine. A little more expensive but very bright.
carolinagreenhead
hunter

Postby HaydenHunter » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:00 pm

BAJAs and many other lights commonly found at auto parts stores or Wally World have maximum 55 watt bulbs because that is the max that is street legal for cars. You should be able to replace the bulbs with 100 watters. I have done that before...big improvement.

Make sure your alternator on your motor will supply enough juice to keep your battery topped off when you are using the lights. They can really drain down the battery.

I am running twin 130 watters that I bought from Mudbuddy. MB is now pushing high intensity LED lights but they are budget busters. The twin 130s, which they still sell, work fine for me.
HaydenHunter
hunter

Postby flyn its dien » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:15 pm

where can u get 100w bulbs?
"Shoot em again!" 2010 alumacraft 29 hp kawi hyperdrive big blade/ air boat coming soon !

2010/11 season
Redheads 2
Bluebills 87
Ringers 2
GW Teal 4
BW Teal 2
Mottled 4
Hooded Merg 4
Common Merg 1
Woodies 16
Buffle head 1
Geese 1
gadwall 1
flyn its dien
hunter

Postby aeonstar » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:44 pm

Google h3 halogen and it will kick out lots of places that have them cheap. You can check with your local auto parts house. They should have them or be able to get them.

Keep in mind that lots of lights means lots of power. Make sure you have plenty of juice to start your motor after use.
aeonstar
hunter

Postby marshstalker83 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:04 am

I was gonna put a pair on my boat but mostly only run an electric trolling motor as its all thats allowed in the area I hunt most of the time. Would I be ok to but a second battery in my boat and run the lights straight off of it and then just charge it between hunts like I do the battery for my trolling motor?
There are hundreds of millions of gun owners in this country, and not one of them will have an accident today. The only misuse of guns comes in environments where there are drugs, alcohol, bad parents, and undisciplined children. Period. -Ted Nugent
marshstalker83
hunter

Postby aeonstar » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:01 pm

I used to do that back when I had a 15hp outboard. Trust your gps and you may not need as much light as you think. With the slow speeds you are going to see with a trolling motor a single light might work great. I go fast in narrow brush choked channels so stadium lights are needed.
aeonstar
hunter

Postby Ichabod97 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:10 am

marshstalker83 wrote:I was gonna put a pair on my boat but mostly only run an electric trolling motor as its all thats allowed in the area I hunt most of the time. Would I be ok to but a second battery in my boat and run the lights straight off of it and then just charge it between hunts like I do the battery for my trolling motor?

i have to do the same thing. i have my deep cycle for the trolling motor in the back and i use a red top Optima up in front that i hook up my lights to and run a 1 million candlepower spotlight. seems to just fine. i just charge them both when i get back.
Nick "Ichabod"
Waterfowl Mafia

Ichabod97
State Moderator

Postby shoot-n-goose » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:59 am

I have 2 of the cheap tractor/utility lights and 2 hand-held spotlights, all hooked to a deep cycle that gets charged after each use since its not hooked to the charging system on the outboard, mainly because I don't know if it has one :huh:

CLUTCHfan wrote: Never bring a penis to a knife fight.
shoot-n-goose
hunter

Postby kms399 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:42 pm

another one bites the dust
kms399
hunter

Postby Ichabod97 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:38 pm

here are some pics of the light i run on mine. picked them up from Harbor Freight for $10...seem to work just fine. I constructed the boxes they are mounted in at work with the help of a buddy (astrobud311) out of aluminum.

Nick "Ichabod"
Waterfowl Mafia

Ichabod97
State Moderator

Postby Mudhole » Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:50 am

I've tried lights mounted to the bow, but they are never pointed where you need them! Get you a hard hat light, either make it yourself or buy one already made, always points where you're looking!
________Mudhole________
Waterfowl Population Control
Building a boat blind:
http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=72&t=67602
Paintin your boat:
http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=72&t=146292
Mudhole
hunter

Postby AJCsurf » Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:16 pm

What kind of batteries are you guys all using? Regular car batteries? Motorcyle batteries? Weight is an issue with me (no trailer) so I'm trying to make this as light (haha play on words) as possible....I know I gotta check the amp hours and all that stuff, but I could just use them for driving and have the NCSU ducker leds lighting up the interior to save some power...
AJCsurf
hunter

Postby shoot-n-goose » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:03 pm

I've got a normal size marine deep cycle. I'm not too worried about it draining too quickly even with fog lights and spotlights going. Its lasted 5 hours with a spotlight continuously on, then a couple days later another 3 hours without a recharge. Then again, my outboard doesn't have electric start so I don't have to worry about having enough cranking amps left over.
CLUTCHfan wrote: Never bring a penis to a knife fight.
shoot-n-goose
hunter

Postby Ichabod97 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:05 pm

i run my lights off of a Red Top Optima.
Nick "Ichabod"
Waterfowl Mafia

Ichabod97
State Moderator

Next

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds