Duck Boat Lights

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Re: Duck Boat Lights

Postby sdeshazo » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:46 pm

I'v e been running the wireless remote GoLight on my 1548 Ledgend Craft for two years now & I love the light.Its nice to be up running & be able to quickly ajust your lights, search for a marker, etc, etc. You can also spin the go light around once you get to your spot light up the inside of the boat :thumbsup:
1548 Legend Craft with a MB 4oooS
MoMarsh Fatboy DP
Boykin Spaniel
sdeshazo
hunter

Postby labcrazy » Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:15 pm

I fell like an idiot asking this but...are driving lights legal? My understanding is you can only have a 1/2 green, 1/2 red light up front and 1 white light in back. Doesn't the driving lights push it to illegal? Go ahead and start the bashing now... :oops:
"With a flock that big, your bound to hit one of em"
labcrazy
hunter

Postby shoot-n-goose » Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:26 pm

They are illegal to the best of my knowledge. They are only to be used for docking, but if you do run with them on I would shut them down if you see another vessel so they know your orientation. If you are running in timber you probably don't have to worry about another boat.
CLUTCHfan wrote: Never bring a penis to a knife fight.
shoot-n-goose
hunter

Postby Launchpad McQuack » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:14 pm

New to the website, thanks for all the good info. No real input here, but I was also wondering if anyone has used or seen LED setups, pros vs cons. I like the wireless remote idea, makes sense. Again thanks for all the good info. this forum and it’s members are invaluable.
Launchpad McQuack
Newb

Postby pintails82 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:18 pm

I used some harbor freight driving lights, mounted them high on my blind. I have a 75 hp motor, runs 35 mph and I have plenty of light. Run straight off my deep cycle battery
Attachments
PICT0127.JPG
pintails82
hunter

Postby TROYWATERFOWLER » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:42 pm

I have a GoLite on my boat and it is pretty hard to beat.
Attachments
100_1478.JPG
TROYWATERFOWLER
hunter

Postby Fatback » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:43 pm

Thanks for the info
Saying things taste "gamey" is a sign of poor taste
Fatback
hunter

Postby ZachGrantham4 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:39 am

I run LED's on my rig and they are great! They're super bright and I got them when they were on sale :thumbsup:

here's a link to mine http://www.amazon.com/Genssi-Light-Wate ... oad+lights
Lower Ashland Duck Mafia
ZachGrantham4
hunter

Postby Drakenstien » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:36 pm

How long will 4 Baja lights run on a single battery. I plan using them to launch and maybe 30 minutes ride out, and maybe a little when setting decoys. The reason I have four is I have 3 batteries and I also want to flounder with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Drakenstien
hunter

Postby talltimber » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:35 am

Vision x 100w halogens upgraded to hid. Upgrade them yourself and save yourself over 300/pr
talltimber
hunter

Postby Drakenstien » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:58 pm

I might what those are but there's a guy that converts 35watt halogens to hid's and they are bright , mine are I think 1100 lumen and I think his is 3000. He has posted how to do them and that's how I should have done mine but had already bought them.

Drakenstien
hunter

Postby T Man » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:35 pm

Drakenstien wrote:How long will 4 Baja lights run on a single battery. I plan using them to launch and maybe 30 minutes ride out, and maybe a little when setting decoys. The reason I have four is I have 3 batteries and I also want to flounder with them.

Depends on the amp draw of the lights, if you run them in series or parallel, how good the battery is, what the reserve capacity of the batt is how many batteries you have ........see my point

Shouted from the bottom of a well
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby Drakenstien » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:23 am

It draws 4.5 amps a light and I have a total of 4 lights. I have two regular batteries but want to use one if it will run them about 45 minutes

Drakenstien
hunter

Postby cutt-down » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:01 am

I've run all kinds of lights from 55watt & 100 halogens to Go-Lights. Hunted with a buddy of mine this weekend who converted his 100watt halogens to LED's. WOW! It's unbelievable how much brighter & whiter the light is. No need to adjust as the light is so wide it's not as finicky as the halo's. Shines a path both straight out & to the sides. Like headlights on your truck but much brighter if that makes a decent comparison. We were crossing open water & could see for a long way. I was amazed. Best lights I've ever seen on a boat. Better than a Go-Light & I'm a Go-Light fan!!!
cutt-down
hunter

Postby T Man » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:11 am

Drakenstien wrote:It draws 4.5 amps a light and I have a total of 4 lights. I have two regular batteries but want to use one if it will run them about 45 minutes

T Man wrote:
, if you run them in series or parallel, how good the battery is, what the reserve capacity of the batt is how many batteries you have ........see my point

Shouted from the bottom of a well

Apparently you failed to see my point.

There is no "normal" battery. What kind of battery is it? A car battery, a deep cycle battery? What is the group size on the battery, what is the reserve capacity on the battery, what is the charge on the battery, what is the condition of the battery, how new is the battery? Do you have your lights wired in series, or in parallel? Why dont you just go outside and turn your lights on, and then see how long it takes for them to discharge the battery. That is the only way to know for sure.
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby jdr » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:36 am

Go with a LED setup. Got mine from Exploration Outfitters. Uses very little battery and lights up a whole lot more.

jdr
hunter

Postby Drakenstien » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:43 am

All I know is it is a deep cell tractor size battery the the best I can do right now I'm not at home now and I got just a large car battery

Drakenstien
hunter

Postby Drakenstien » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:44 am

I seen those leds on line I was thinking of getting 2 6 inch next year or do a hid conversion

Drakenstien
hunter

Postby PintailKiller » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:49 pm

cutt-down wrote:I've run all kinds of lights from 55watt & 100 halogens to Go-Lights. Hunted with a buddy of mine this weekend who converted his 100watt halogens to LED's. WOW! It's unbelievable how much brighter & whiter the light is. No need to adjust as the light is so wide it's not as finicky as the halo's. Shines a path both straight out & to the sides. Like headlights on your truck but much brighter if that makes a decent comparison. We were crossing open water & could see for a long way. I was amazed. Best lights I've ever seen on a boat. Better than a Go-Light & I'm a Go-Light fan!!!

ask your buddy what kinda of light he got and how many lumens...thanks! :thumbsup:
Here comes two singles...
PintailKiller
hunter

Postby PintailKiller » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:51 pm

jdr wrote:Go with a LED setup. Got mine from Exploration Outfitters. Uses very little battery and lights up a whole lot more.

number of lumens? got a night pic? I've been looking into getting one myself but not sure how many lumens I need :fingerhead:
Here comes two singles...
PintailKiller
hunter

Postby BigTerp » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:30 pm

PintailKiller wrote:
cutt-down wrote:I've run all kinds of lights from 55watt & 100 halogens to Go-Lights. Hunted with a buddy of mine this weekend who converted his 100watt halogens to LED's. WOW! It's unbelievable how much brighter & whiter the light is. No need to adjust as the light is so wide it's not as finicky as the halo's. Shines a path both straight out & to the sides. Like headlights on your truck but much brighter if that makes a decent comparison. We were crossing open water & could see for a long way. I was amazed. Best lights I've ever seen on a boat. Better than a Go-Light & I'm a Go-Light fan!!!

ask your buddy what kinda of light he got and how many lumens...thanks! :thumbsup:

Not sure what his buddy did, but I'm working on converting a pair of 100watt Vision-X halogen to 35watt HIDS. Should be about 3200 lumens per light and pull 3.5amps per light. I followed what was done here.

http://www.mudmotortalk.com/mmt_v2/view ... =2&t=12884
BigTerp
hunter

Postby orphanedcowboy » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:52 pm

If you run the LED style lights, a simple feeder motor or game camera battery works great. This is the battery and light I run on my Marsh Rat, granted I am not under power, but it provides a ton of light for just the one:

NRA Life Member
orphanedcowboy
hunter

Postby clwalkin » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:32 am

BigTerp wrote:
PintailKiller wrote:
cutt-down wrote:Hunted with a buddy of mine this weekend who converted his 100watt halogens to LED's. WOW! It's unbelievable how much brighter & whiter the light is.

Not sure what his buddy did, but I'm working on converting a pair of 100watt Vision-X halogen to 35watt HIDS. Should be about 3200 lumens per light and pull 3.5amps per light. I followed what was done here.

Not sure how you convert halogens to LED other than a complete replacement. I tried an LED a couple years ago and while bright, they didn't throw much of a beam. I did convert old halogens to 35 watt HID's and am very happy with these. Super bright and throw a beam further than anything else I've seen. With the conversion to HID it doesn't matter what watt they were before since you are totally gutting the existing light. I do like a spot light lens that is completely clear without any ridges in it. You can buy the cheapo lights they sell at Autozone and convert them to HID and have about $60.00 total cost that compare to hundreds of dollars buying them that way.
clwalkin
hunter

Postby talltimber » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:54 pm

BigTerp wrote:
PintailKiller wrote:
cutt-down wrote:I've run all kinds of lights from 55watt & 100 halogens to Go-Lights. Hunted with a buddy of mine this weekend who converted his 100watt halogens to LED's. WOW! It's unbelievable how much brighter & whiter the light is. No need to adjust as the light is so wide it's not as finicky as the halo's.
Shines a path both straight out & to the sides. Like headlights on your truck but much brighter if that makes a decent comparison. We were crossing open water & could see for a long way. I was amazed. Best lights I've ever seen on a boat. Better than a Go-Light & I'm a Go-Light fan!!!

This was what I did. All euros, two out the front, one off to each side. If its sticking above the water you can see to avoid it at 30+. Best lights I've ever seen on a boat. Side console rig, no need for a third hand/help running a handheld. It was worth it and then some to me, just what I was looking for.
I've never seen a led rig in person though. They say they're making some nice setups. I'd like to see one.
talltimber
hunter

Postby cutt-down » Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:57 am

PintailKiller wrote:

Rigid Z-2 lights driving lights & 3200 lumens each. He uses 2 lights.
cutt-down
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds