Slippery Boat Floors....Any solutions?

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Slippery Boat Floors....Any solutions?

Postby TommyToeDrag » Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:44 pm

What have some guys done to their boats to eliminate the floor from getting slippery in their hunting boats? I cant afford linex or anything that complex. Does anyone have any other suggestons?
TommyToeDrag
hunter

Postby lars » Tue Dec 06, 2005 4:43 pm

HERCULINER
i did the whole bottom with one can, and i love it
went puddler hunting this year as usual.... shot more divers than puddle ducks. typical
lars
hunter

Postby Mallard Machine » Tue Dec 06, 2005 5:37 pm

What we did, just when the floor was still tacky we spinkled sand all over the paint and used a brush with some paint on it to make the sand stick good and we just went over the sand with brush and it had been on there for a good 3 years now, doesn't stop thick ice or anything butr you'd really be surprised by how well it works!!
Mallard Machine
hunter

Postby CLUTCHfan » Tue Dec 06, 2005 5:50 pm

Mallard Machine wrote:What we did, just when the floor was still tacky we spinkled sand all over the paint and used a brush with some paint on it to make the sand stick good and we just went over the sand with brush and it had been on there for a good 3 years now, doesn't stop thick ice or anything butr you'd really be surprised by how well it works!!

My Dad did the same thing and it worked great. Next year when I put in my floor I'll be doing the same. He used an old salt shaker to spread the sand evenly.
TNAL45 wrote:I like my beer like I like my violence....Domestic.
CLUTCHfan
Former DHC Ball Buster

Location: Behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore.

Re: Slippery Boat Floors....Any solutions?

Postby Gooseboy » Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:35 pm

TommyToeDrag wrote:What have some guys done to their boats to eliminate the floor from getting slippery in their hunting boats? I cant afford linex or anything that complex. Does anyone have any other suggestons?

Truck Bed liners in a can. Rubber mats. Or take measurments cut plywood to the measurments and lay it down over your boat. Then paint it. Good luck! :thumbsup:
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby UT Greenhead » Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:30 pm

Hydro Turf There's nothing better than that stuff in my opinion. I've got it in my duck rig. Won't freeze, won't get hard, you can walk on it in dead Summer with no shoes on, and It's easy to put down. Go to www.hydroturf.com it's some awesome stuff.

UTG
“You can agree with me or you can be wrong!”
UT Greenhead
hunter

slippery boat floor

Postby hatchie_1 » Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:26 am

The thing I used was tire tread. You can get it for free at any tire shop. They will usually have some old tread that has been removed from 18 wheelers where they have retreaded some tires. Get you some pretty long pieces and cut them to fit in your boat between the braces in the bottom. The great thing about this is you can always take them out and you can paint them if you don't prefer black. It also raises the floor about 1 inch so your not always tripping on the braces.

Good luck
Shoot em in the lips
hatchie_1
hunter

Postby IBBoykin » Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:58 am

paint the floor of the boat, and while the paint is wet, sprinkle sand over the floor. We did the floor in the grooming area of the vet clinic I work at like this. It is an extremely abused high traffic area and it is holding up very very well.
Breeding and Training Boykin Spaniels, a True American Gundog
IBBoykin
hunter

Postby kyfowler » Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:19 pm

my uncle put rubber horse stall mats in his. they let the water drain because there are hole in them.
kyfowler
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:39 pm

UT Greenhead wrote:Hydro Turf There's nothing better than that stuff in my opinion. I've got it in my duck rig. Won't freeze, won't get hard, you can walk on it in dead Summer with no shoes on, and It's easy to put down. Go to www.hydroturf.com it's some awesome stuff.

UTG

That stuff looks pretty neat. and on the sight there is a picture of a girl on a sea doo..... um ya. :oops:
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby QuackWacker08 » Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:20 pm

Weve just always used a short-haired tan carpet... :oops:
QuackWacker08
hunter

Postby Elmer Fudd » Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:19 am

I used that black non slip stuff you see used on steps,running boards like that stuff you see on heavy equipment on areas you step on...it comes in rolls...5" wide by 25' long... I cut this stuff to size and applied it to the floor and every place that you would step...then I painted it with camo colors...lasted the 1st season.
Upside Down & Feet Twitchin...
The HeviShot way
Elmer Fudd
hunter

Postby Huntemup » Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:01 pm

Both Herculiner and the sand sprinkle sound like good ideas. The sand one may be cheaper. We use the Herculiner for the hand rails on our boats and I can atest it's good stuff, does the job.
"You can't build a reputation on what your going to do." ( Henry Ford)
Huntemup
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds