30 horse running like a 9.9

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

30 horse running like a 9.9

Postby chrispbrown27 » Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:31 am

Opening morning I took out the boat and it ran like crap. At full throttle the thing ran like a 9.9. The motor had never been run during cold weather, so I wonder if she's just not a cold weather fan. I did bury her in mud, which wouldn't be the first time this happened. The entire trip to my spot and back she ran like this, finally within feet of the boat ramp she decided to run well. Any ideas as to what the problem may be? Someone told me fuel filter, so where is it at?
Chris
Vegetarian- Indian word for lousy hunter.
chrispbrown27
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:33 am

Fowled plugs will make a motor run like that too. Bad fuel. Fuel filter. That's where I would start.

Also, if you ran the motor in the mud, I would make sure it's still peeing good, because that is a good way to tear up an impeller.
gsphunter
hunter

Postby KCDuckMaster » Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:16 pm

I would say a fuel problem also. Is it a 2 or 4 stroke?
If they weren’t meant to be eaten, then why are they made of meat?
KCDuckMaster
hunter

Postby Mallard Machine » Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:47 pm

It is deffinetly a fuel problem!! The jets on your carburator might need to be cleaned out as well. I never had that happen to a boat motor, but my motorbike did that one time and it was the jets.
You might need a new filter or maybe u had some water in the gas??
was it old gas from last year
Mallard Machine
hunter

Postby chrispbrown27 » Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:59 pm

No it was fresh gas from that morning. She was peeing like a drunk in an alley. I'll check the plugs and the fuel filter today. Any idea where the filter is?
chrispbrown27
hunter

Postby ISHOOTDIVERS » Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:19 pm

Your fuel filter might be an inline or right where the line goes in before the carb.If you didn't have bad gas and your gas was new plugs are good she's a peein' good then you might go through your hole intake check the air intake fuel line everything and then make sure everything is a okay coming out the other end
Diver Hunters Do It In Big Waves!

Save A Seal, Club An Activist
ISHOOTDIVERS
hunter

Postby Admin2 » Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:19 pm

Also could be your electronic ignition has a short.
Or maybe you need a Carb overhual.

The Deputy riding shotgun
Admin2
hunter

Location: lurking around the corner keeping an eye out for trouble makers

Postby chrispbrown27 » Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:50 pm

The motor was bought new about 6 or 7 yrs ago by my Grandpa. Since that time the boat has only been run a total of 8 times. I would think that everything should still be practically new on it. On those 8 trips I would say the motor hasn't been run more than 8 hours. Last year an uncle of mine and I took it out and it ran a little rough, but this past summer it ran great.
chrispbrown27
hunter

Postby chrispbrown27 » Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:51 pm

It is a 2 stroke.
chrispbrown27
hunter

Postby Mallard Machine » Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:42 pm

If it hasn't been run much, then it's deffinetly your fuel fliter or your jets are plugged with some dirt!!
GOOD LUCK WITH IT!!
lets us know what the prob really was!!
Mallard Machine
hunter

Postby ISHOOTDIVERS » Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:12 pm

I agree not running much you could have easily gummed the carbs or jets up give it a through cleanin and make sure your mix is right to run it to rich it'll run like chit

ISHOOTDIVERS
hunter

Postby Merganser » Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:24 am

Sure sounds like gummed up carburetor to me. Boat mechanics tell me that if you do not run it once a month or more, the carb will gum up. It happened to me on a 40 hp Johnson, 2-cycle. The boat mechanic took carb off, cleaned it thoroughly, put back together, lubed everything, and changed the water pump impeller for $85. I recommend you take it to a good boat mechanic.
Merganser
hunter

Postby chrispbrown27 » Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:48 am

Is this the only option? Is there any carb cleaner I can do at home? At the local boat shop, last time I checked, for a tune-up it was 80 some odd bucks and if i wanted the carb cleaned it was gonna be over 125.
chrispbrown27
hunter

Postby okie_duck » Sat Dec 10, 2005 3:23 pm

Cleaning the carbs on a outboard is not that hard, unlike doing this on the family car. There are not many parts involved and the dis-assembly and re-assembly is pretty easy. Just be sure that you do not spray any carb cleaner on the rubber seals or plastic parts and do a thorough job on cleaning the jets (most usually have 2). I figured this out when I cleaned mine for the first time and realized that I did not accomplish anything. After the second cleaning my 40 horse johnson went from pushing 10 mph to 32 mph. You can order a carb kit to replace the bowl and o-rings for around $15 per carb, but this is usually not necessary unless they seem dry or are cracking. Past this I was told that if you unplug the fuel line from the motor while the engine is running this will burn up the gas in the carbs and keep the deposits to a minimum. Just be sure the motor is submerged or on the water wings.

Good Luck!
okie_duck
hunter

Postby FEATHERBUSTER » Sun Dec 11, 2005 5:59 pm

UNPLUGGING THE FUEL LINE AND ALLOWING THE MOTOR TO RUN DRY REALLY WORKS. MY GRANDFATHER DID IT WITH HIS BOAT SINCE IT WAS NEW. SINCE HIS PASSING I STILL DO IT TO THAT MOTOR RELIGIOUSLY. THE MOTOR IS ALMOST 15 YEARS OLD AND STILL FIRES ON THE FIRST CRANK. CLEAN YOUR CARB AND START RUNNING THE MOTOR OUT OF GAS AFTER EVERY USE AND YOU SHOULD HAVE NO MORE PROBLEMS
FEATHERBUSTER
hunter

Postby chrispbrown27 » Sun Dec 11, 2005 6:53 pm

I always pull the plug and let her run dry. I bought new plugs and dumped the gas in the tank, I was kinda afraid I had mixed it too rich. I also dumped some stabil in there for the hell of it. I looked in the carb (while it was still on the motor) and it looked clean as a whistle. I haven't had a chance to run it because of ice, but hopefully the problem is taken care of. Thanks to everyone who posted up with advice.
Chris
chrispbrown27
hunter

Postby ISHOOTDIVERS » Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:06 pm

Chrisp all though your carb looks clean it still could be dirty, those jets are have tiny holes and those tiny holes can get clogged by tiny debris let us know how it goes

ISHOOTDIVERS
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds