MudBuddy or Go Devil on 16' jon Boat??

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

MudBuddy or Go Devil on 16' jon Boat??

Postby Mallard Machine » Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:33 pm

My buddy owns a 16' Jon Boat and wants to know what u falla's think he should do for motor He got a 20hp on there now but he wants a MudBuddy or Go-Devil what one do u guys think is best?? And what horsepower to move that boat with 2 guys a dog decoys GEAR and A boat blind on it. Without Any Troubles??
Mallard Machine
hunter

Postby Nab » Sun Dec 11, 2005 6:45 pm

What make and how wide? Lontail and shortail?
Depending on style, anything from a 16hp to a 27hp.
I sell GD's so I'm biased!, but I've run them since 1993 and just started selling them 5 yrs ago - I was happy as just an owner and am happy as a dealer - great motors, very little maintenace, some of the best prices, best quality, great customer service and been building them for almost 30 years so they are doing something right! Go with a GD and you'll be happy!
Hope this helps.
Nab
hunter

23 hp Go Devil

Postby Jay Jolicoeur » Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:10 am

I have a 17 ft tracker. The other day I had three guys 210 lbs, 265 lbs 220 lbs my son 35 lbs dog 50lbs 3 1/2 dozen decoys, blind, two tanks of gas. Going into the wind with a 8 year old 23 hp Go Devil at about 11 mph. Running with the wind we maxed at 14 mph.

I would like a more speed, but if I were going 50 mph I would want more speed.

I hope it helps.
Jay Jolicoeur
hunter

Postby HaydenHunter » Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:56 am

You should look at the mud motor websites: MudBuddy, ProDrive, GoDevil and GatorTail. Then find dealers in your area and take some test drives. I know there is a MudBuddy dealer in NoCal. His name is Clayton Luddington and his company is D&C Duckboats. Not sure if there are dealers for the other brands.

I too am a mud motor dealer and the best advice I can give you (other than test driving these motors) is to buy from a manufacturer with a dealer in your area. None of these motors are foolproof and having a dealer assist / advocate for you after the sale is important should the need arise for service. A good dealer will not let you buy the wrong motor for your boat, an expensive mistake which can hound you.

As you look at the websites be thinking short tail rather than longtail. Budget permitting, a shorttail will provide higher speeds and easier driving.

Have fun.
HaydenHunter
hunter

Postby Evil_McNasty » Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:15 am

Short or long tail, you'd want about a 23-27 hp engine.

If you've got the $, my recomendation would be short tail.
Evil_McNasty
hunter

Postby Mallard Machine » Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:41 pm

Oh YEAH he's the got the cash for it!!
i'll inform him bout the Go-Devil I GUESS IS WHAT U BOYS A DIGGIN'!!!

thanks falla's good luck killin birds!!
Mallard Machine
hunter

Postby UT Greenhead » Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:02 am

HaydenHunter wrote:I too am a mud motor dealer and the best advice I can give you (other than test driving these motors) is to buy from a manufacturer with a dealer in your area. None of these motors are foolproof and having a dealer assist / advocate for you after the sale is important should the need arise for service. A good dealer will not let you buy the wrong motor for your boat, an expensive mistake which can hound you.

I couldn't agree more.

There are many things that make particular MM's great, then there are many others that make them not so great.

Do what HH says.......GO FOR TEST DRIVES. Heck, put test motors on your boat. It's more trouble for a dealer to do this, but if you're serious about buying tell em they can help you and possibly sell a motor or they can not help you and you'll go elsewhere (In a nice way of course). Chances are they'll go get the wrenches and start unbolting.

One other thing…… MM's are not for everyone. I've talked to many people this year that see my rig and immediately say "I'd like to have one of those". Then I ask em where they hunt and they tell me they hunt open water (Tennessee River). I simply laugh and tell them to stick with the outboard. If you run stump fields, mud, backwater, or thick vegetation....they might be for you. If not.......Outboard is your ticket.
“You can agree with me or you can be wrong!”
UT Greenhead
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds