Hole in the Hull

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Hole in the Hull

Postby Jay Jolicoeur » Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:01 am

Last night I was running in the dark on the St. Johns River did not see a fence post sticking out of the water. Hit the fence post and it put a hole in the bottom. It is a aluminum hull Tracker Grizzly. My thoughts are to get someone to weld the hole. Any other suggestions or are there other thinks I need to be aware of?

I appreciate it.
Jay Jolicoeur
hunter

Postby Bogey » Sun Dec 11, 2005 2:29 pm

I just went through this with my boat. It was a SMALL hole, but then I don't care how small, it's too small! I had it welded, cost $100, good as new! :thumbsup:
Dare to be different
Bogey
hunter

Postby Arkie Farmer » Sun Dec 11, 2005 4:05 pm

Yup, just get it welded... no biggie!
Arkie Farmer
hunter

Postby ISHOOTDIVERS » Sun Dec 11, 2005 4:32 pm

Cabelas sells those sticks you melt on that harden up after they cool back down, my buddy from PA puts 3-5 holes a year in his boat and thats all he does, he swears by the stuff
Diver Hunters Do It In Big Waves!

Save A Seal, Club An Activist
ISHOOTDIVERS
hunter

Postby 870 » Sun Dec 11, 2005 8:33 pm

Arkie Farmer wrote:Yup, just get it welded... no biggie!
:thumbsup:
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Postby Arkie Farmer » Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:17 am

ISHOOTDIVERS wrote:Cabelas sells those sticks you melt on that harden up after they cool back down, my buddy from PA puts 3-5 holes a year in his boat and thats all he does, he swears by the stuff

I weld aluminum, and I hate that stuff. ...just makes more prep time needed when you do decide to fix it correctly.
Arkie Farmer
hunter

Thanks,

Postby Jay Jolicoeur » Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:18 am

I appreciate it. I want to know how he puts 3-5 holes a year in his boat.
Jay Jolicoeur
hunter

Postby Evil_McNasty » Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:19 am

Definitely get it welded. If you need an aluminum boat guy, lmk.

So how's the motor running now??
Evil_McNasty
hunter

Postby ISHOOTDIVERS » Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:34 pm

They hunt a river that has boulders the size of trucks in it, some submerged some sticking out etc etc, he said you either know it and run it balls out and skip off em here and there or you don't know it and you baby it and get a few scratches here and there.Well he knwos it but they still hit em I guess, they only run jet motors as prop motors aren't really an option.I thought he was crazy till I looked at the bottom of his roughneck and yeah he has hit some stuff

ISHOOTDIVERS
hunter

Postby Jay Jolicoeur » Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:49 pm

Hey ISHOOTDIVERS,

Living in Florida you forget about rocks and boulders. I guess our fence post ain't a big deal.

Evil McNasty,

The motor is strong, cleaned out, replaced fuel filter ran with out any farts. Next day farted like it was eating beans. I am going to clean the carb again once I get it back from the welder.

Found a guy that has fixed many a hole in the boat. It will cost me about $60ish.

Thanks for the advice.
Jay Jolicoeur
hunter

Postby Grant48 » Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:51 pm

I had a hole in my Alumacraft 14' jon welded up a few months ago. I wanted to find someone who was very experienced in welding aluminum, so I had the idea to take it to a propeller shop. They did a great job. Only cost me $40 too. Thats hard to beat.
Grant48
hunter

hole fixed

Postby Jay Jolicoeur » Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:41 pm

Hole fixed. $30. East 46 Trailers Sanford Florida. Glen is the man. If you ever hit one of them fence post. He got it done in half the time. :getdown: :getdown: :getdown: :getdown: :getdown:
Jay Jolicoeur
hunter

Postby 870 » Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:28 pm

Grant 48, Thats where I take mine, those prop boys are the way to go :salude:

Of course the guy who does my work tells me after hunting season "it's not of matter if you hit something, but a matter of when and how much"

Mines more loose rivets, and props :toofunny: What can I say, I hunt big water, but sometimes it gets short and hard :pissed:
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Postby ISHOOTDIVERS » Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:49 pm

870 I hear ya man we got 3 props for each boat always have a spare and many buddies are to the point of not replacing rivets but self tapping screws and some silicone, Lake Erie eats rivetted boats for lunch

ISHOOTDIVERS
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds