seating arrangement in boat

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

seating arrangement in boat

Postby onlyif » Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:11 am

I have decided on purchasing my first duck boat, a Gator-Trax. As you can cusomize it any way you can, I am having trouble deciding what the best seating arrangement will be. I have decided that I want an open floor plan. The boat length will be 18', used only for hunting and will more often than not will be for transport only but may hunt out of it occationally. I forsee only taking two other guys. I have been out with hunting buddies in their boats and I usually ended up on the floor, not too comfortable. My concern is since I will be driving with the tiller and will want to have maximum visibility, looking for any obstacles. Where and what should I have in the way of seating for the hunting buddies. If I go with the center island box to sit on I may not like the space it takes up and if they sit on it I am concerned about visibility. If I go with a gun box on the side and mabe go with seat pedastals, where should I put them? Or should I just forget seating and have them sit on the floor?

Those with tiller boats, what do you think is the best arrangement?
onlyif
Newb

Postby 870 » Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:45 pm

:welcome: onlyif to DHC glad to have ya on board

If you can customize it, consider a bench-tiller seat that the top opens for storage. Then either two box seats or two more bench seats that the tops open along the sides also for storage. Keep the center of your boat open to walk through from bow to your tiller seat.

Then from the front of your two seats along the sides, you can have two compartments that run to the bow. They shouldn’t be any wider than the seats, and then you can store your decoys in them and what ever else you will need.

just a thought :thumbsup:
Last edited by 870 on Fri Dec 23, 2005 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
Pro Hunter

Postby UT Greenhead » Fri Dec 23, 2005 7:29 am

My suggestion would be a pod seat for you to sit on and nothing else. Get some armchairs for your buddies to sit on. I think you can get the Mossy Oak ones from WalMart for around $20 each. Then you can sit your friends wherever you like. One thing I've found out about the gun boxes. They become a catch all. I had mine in for a few weeks, but don't even use mine anymore. Now it's a catch all in my garage. As far as storage goes, just put your jackets in the bow compartment and your toolbox, spotlight and fire extinguisher in your pod seat. Here are some pics of my rig. A little dirty, but I'd wonder about somone who had a clean duck rig in the middle of season. Click here to see da pics

Later

UTG
“You can agree with me or you can be wrong!”
UT Greenhead
hunter

Postby 870 » Fri Dec 23, 2005 5:37 pm

Here's kinda what I'm talking about, my next boat will have the seating that I described.
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
Pro Hunter

Postby HaydenHunter » Sat Dec 24, 2005 10:48 am

We are GatorTrax dealers and we have always sold open floor plan boats. Never a center bench. For seating, we use high-back camo chairs from Tempress or similar, mounted to swiveling four-leg stands. They can be positioned anywhere during the ride to balance the boat for best speed, then they can be reset for hunting out of the boat if that is desired. I will put seat base sockets in for fishing but not hunting applications. Your parameters just change too much when hunting.

I like gn box(es) down the side of GT boats, especially the 50 and 54 inch widths. I think they hold a lot of stuff. When driving the Hyper I have on my boats, I sit on the flotation box in the rear. It is a perfect place. If you are running a non-flotation boat this is a good place for a storage half box as you can sit on it while driving.

Welcome to the board.
HaydenHunter
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds