What's wrong with my motor??

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

What's wrong with my motor??

Postby casey_714 » Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:14 pm

I have a 6hp Johnson on my 14' jon boat. It is fairly old, but i bought it at the beginning of the season. Last week, the motor wouldn't start becuase I think something inside of it was frozen up. Or weather warmed up recently and i decided to take it out again.

It started in 1 crank, and i was driving for about 30 seconds when it started to smoke (not really bad), shake a little bit, and there was a little bit of a clanky noise. I turned it off (it was about to by itself anyways), and we rowed across river to our spot.

Does anyone know what could have went wrong with it? For the kind of money i have (not that much), this thing is worth a lot to me. If it's not something that I can fix myself, I'll have to take it to a mechanic or something, and the bill will cost as much as the motor itself.

:help:
casey_714
State Moderator

Postby casey_714 » Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:21 pm

OH yeah.. I'm pretty sure the gas also had the 50:1 oil in it too, so it wasn't that.
casey_714
State Moderator

Postby Dogman » Sun Jan 08, 2006 5:03 pm

Is your water pump working?If your impeller is gone your motor will start but the engine will soon overheat and quit,worse still it could sieze up.
My lab is still the best hunting partner there is.
Dogman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby donell67 » Sun Jan 08, 2006 5:55 pm

yeah sounds like the water pumps out. i hate to say it but it sounds like you ran it to hot to long.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby casey_714 » Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:38 pm

Yeah, that's probably it. I honestly know nothing about boat motors, and i tried to take good care of it. My friend broke my trailer in 3 different spots (trying to back it into the ice), he didn't even offer to pay for any of it. Then this happened to my motor about 15 minutes later. It was a really bad day. I tried to turn the motor off as soon as i could, and I really hope that it didn't completely seize up.
casey_714
State Moderator

motor

Postby gilla the goose killa » Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:55 am

I did the same thing too my motor sucking mud up in the marsh,it over heated and I lost 8 lbs. compression in one cylinder,I still ran it for a couple of years like that but no power what so ever .It was going to cost $900 to have a mechanic rebuild it,I bought a manual and rebuilt it myself for $200 and that was putting on some new parts that weren't really needed but since I had it apart anyway.BTW the motor is a 1960 5.5 evinrude, so if you wanna give it a go and save some dough, you shouldn't have any problems getting parts.

Good luck 'n' keep yur feet dry
Gilla
P.S. any Q's pm me be glad to help.
gilla the goose killa
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds