Duck Hunting Forum banner

Boat and pirouge make over.....

13K views 25 replies 12 participants last post by  Erich_870 
#1 ·
After 4-5 years, decided to do a make over on my duck boats.....

17 Feb....Ordered some trays and got those welded inside the boat......

19 Feb....stripped every out and off my boat, pulled the engine, took it off the trailer, filpped it over and got to work......

Masked off the area I planned to put steel flex on......

Mixed up the steel flex and poured some on each boat, then spread it with foam rollers......

At the end of a very long day......

20 Feb....Layed some AG primer over all the bare alum on the gun box and hull......

21 Feb....When I flipped the boat and started sanding, I found this lil oops......

So I had to load the boat up, and take it to a buddy in Marshall to get it fixed......

22 Feb....Got the second coat of base color on everything......

See less See more
#4 ·
CG.....rgw gun box came with the boat from Prodrive, multi postition and removeable.

Erich.....not really sure as I mixed a gallon and just pored it on both hull, but would say a 1/2 gallon would be plenty!

#6 ·
26 Feb....Due to the colder weather, couldnt paint till after 1, but did manage to spray the first stencile on the roe and gun box......

Supposed to be 80 here today, but a chance of rain, so dont know if I can do any paintin at all today!

#7 ·
27 Feb....Ok, fought the wind till I finally got the red ass, but did manage to get one side of the boat done with both steciles before I was forced to give it up! To bad to, got 80 degrees today and could've got alot done! ......

#8 ·
Finished painting the outside of the hull last Wensday. Got some friends coming over today after work to help my flip it over so I can get started in the inside......

#9 ·
Is it just me, or does the pic of the pirogue and storage box with just the first stencil layer look pretty darn good by itself?
I kinda like the extra spacing between the shapes. While the finished product does look great, it's kinda "busy" and seems, to me, to reinforce the shape of the boat, whereas the first stage seems to break it up better. Maybe one could just use the first set of stencils and vary the colors within that sheet. Any Comments?

#11 ·
Thursday 10 March, took everything off and out of the inside, and got it sanded down......

Friday 11 March, then primed all the bare metal......

Saturday 12 March, layed the base coat down, and started with the first stencile and rain outta paint about 3/4 of the way thru, so thats where I'm at, waiting on more paint to arrive!!

#15 ·
Paint came in Friday, so Saturday got started on the inside......

Also painted the motor while it was hanging from the engine hoist. Sunday, a slide the hull back on the trailer then got the engine mounted back on the transom......

Still got to get everything back in, rewire it all, run gas line, install battery tray and battery, install the hydro turf and seat pod! Going to let her sit in the sun this week to bake the paint on.

#23 ·
No, I ordered it with the boat! It can be put vert. in about three different places as well as horz. in three! Or, I take it out when just ridin or fishing!

#26 ·
yarborough29102 said:
i know this is prolly going to be a stupid question but what is steel flex ? whats it do?
It's an epoxy with additives that makes it really slick. Guys coat the bottoms of their boats so they slide over stuff easier and reduce wear on the bottoms of their boats. It started with airboats but now that mud motors are around, guys put it on those too.

Mudhole,

Do your little boats show any wear from the season?

Erich

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.