Floating Duck Camp

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Floating Duck Camp

Postby divealso » Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:43 am

During a conversation over a little sour mash the other night, my father-in-law and I decided we would build a floating duck camp for next hunting season.
I figure there has been numerous mistakes made in the past by others that I could learn from.
If anyone has their own .02 they can add to this, or a web site where I can get some info on the do's and don'ts, I would appreciate it.
divealso
hunter

Postby locked n landing » Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:56 pm

My partners and I have made a floating duck blind. It is 12 feet wide and
8 feet deep by about 5 feet high at the center.
We used plastic 55 gallon barrels for floatation. At first when we all stood
up to shoot at ducks the whole thing would shift like everyone leaning to the same side of a canoe so we added a couple more barrels past where we would be standing. The barrels are working pretty good but they are a little hard to get attatched. If money isn't that much of a problem and you want it to last for a while I would try to find the plastic floatation box like things that people use for their boat docks.

Just remember about weight distribution not only where you will be sitting but also where everyone will be standing.
locked n landing
hunter

Postby divealso » Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:07 pm

This will not be for shooting out of-- probably 30' X 12"
Don't shoot ducks while they are swimming on the water--Wait til they stop swimming!
divealso
hunter

Postby kcduckslayer » Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:35 am

why no use a pontoon? Then its somewhat portable. I am thinking about doing it in a couple years
kcduckslayer
hunter

Postby JoeP » Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:12 pm

I am in the process of building a duck camp in a salt marsh. The one I am building is sitting on top of 10ft telephone pole cut offs. The camp will be 16 x 24, with a boat dock going down to the river. I have seen camps that are on floats. Also a few friends of mine own what they call boat houses that are in the river, which to you or I is the same thing as a floating duck camp. I have seen them built with the foam blocks under the platform, and I have seen the barrels as floats as well. First thing I would do is to try to figure out the wieght of the camp. Something that size
I would probably use the barrels. Take a look at some plastic 50 gallon drums. Also if you have a moring line off each corner it will help the camp from not leaning from side to side from wieght change. Hope this helps.

JoeP
JoeP
State Moderator

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds